Interfering hippies

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by GINandSHEARS, Sep 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I know its not the most outrageous thing to have happened ever, or even this week, but it gripped my sh1t!

bloody hippies want to change the world! whats wrong with using real bearskin? as long as the bear lives a decent enough life before it has the honour of being a hat!

They should try saving the bears in the bile farms, now thats a cause!

Or have they just accepted that the chinese dont take any carp but our gobment will roll over and play dead!

(yes i have been drinking)
  2. deja vu?

edited to add. the last thread got wahed and then holed.

in summary my position. i'm a vege, but humans have worn animal skins for many thousands of years. there are more important things to worry about.
  3. Surely its just a case of recycling the bear - sound practice in these times !!
  4. I do love how one minute arrsers go on about how they fight to protect peoples right to freedom of speech but th esecond somebody uses that right there is an outrage thread about it.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, we love the freedom of speech, and that same freedom allows us to shout out in outraged anger and disgust - so what's yer facking problem Jest?

Now, as to the bear hats (see what I did there?), as long as they are killed quickly and humanely, I don't see the problem.

Wearing a bear hat is no different to wearing a leather belt IMHO, or leather shoes.
  6. I think the big problem is that cows aren't considered cuddly and bears are.
    I can just imagine the sort of carp La Westwood would design; more like something out of Ascot Ladies Day than military headwear.
  7. The bears, which are so numerous in Canada that they must be controlled by culling, will continue to be shot regardless of whether or not we decide to make hats out of them. Current practice ensures that a few of them are stripped before being dumped in landfill (or whatever else they do with them). Crap fake-fur will not make one less dead bear. Ricky Gervaise can poke off - if he, Stella or any of the rest of the fluffy bunny brigade really want to save them, perhaps they should go over there and set up ursine contraceptive advice centres.

The problem is, they do make very smart headgear. I've always thought that we could do a bit better though - Greatcoats would be set off very well by Polar bearskins in the winter months. I feel a letter coming on.
  8. I think you'll find cats' fur is easier to maintain and can easily take up a red dye, the left over meat could then be used to feed chavs and others who exist on social and EC handouts.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

This has popped up every now and again for at least the last 40 years.
    Different materials have also be tried over that time. If they want to change it will have to be from a manufacturer not some 'designer' with friends.