Interesting ways to get the chop

anglo

LE
The electrician opened the rear panel of some switchgear, leaned in, the big
gold medallion hung on the chain around his neck swung in and touched the 500volt
bus bar,

I remember reading about a chap waiting for his 12 year old daughter to arrive by helicopter,

As a good, loving father he ran up to the helicopter when it landed, she disembarked and daddy picked her up and threw her in the air like we all have done.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
11 marines, packed into an Army Black Hawk helicopter in eastern Afghanistan, asked for an exciting flight on an otherwise dull mission by demonstrating for visiting dignitaries how troops are sped into battle. “Fly hard,” requested the marines.
Climbing and swooping, the Black Hawk pilot crested a 400-foot hill, then deliberately nosed into a dive so steep and abrupt that everyone inside felt weightless.
A wheel chock rose off the floor like a magician’s prop and flew forward into the cockpit, jamming the controls. In the horrific, tumbling crash that followed, a crew chief in the doorway died. Everyone else was injured. The $6 million helicopter was destroyed.

A young woman making her first parachute descent at Thruxton in 1987 fell into the rotor disc of a helicopter preparing to take off.

Tell me about it.
I did a parachute course at Bad Lippspringe the following year. A couple of Gazelle's flew in and pissed about for a quite a while over the far end of the field and buggered up half a days jumping due the choppy-leg threat.

I remember reading about a chap waiting for his 12 year old daughter to arrive by helicopter,

As a good, loving father he ran up to the helicopter when it landed, she disembarked and daddy picked her up and threw her in the air like we all have done.
If we are thinking of the same incident, the father eventually committed suicide.

If it's the same case . . . .

I believe it is, memory blunted my memory of the details.

Rab_C

LE
If a superheated vasectomy is “the chop”. Drunken RN rating (chef I think) came back from ashore having had a few and decided to take a piss before crossing the gangway. What he pissed on was the shore connection box, 440v at loads of amps. They used to show the post morgen pics on first aid and HSE courses, from his knees to lower abdomen all gone (or very very charred)

JAD

LE
I've got to say, my "apprenticeship" as a grease monkey down the servicing bay was always lively with the usual mix of quality wind-ups from the seasoned section NCO. The more serious, sometimes viciously autocratic one way b@llockings from the MTO for the state of the shop floor on Friday afternoon and threats of physical violence aimed at the young but thick skinned REME VM inspector, or us crows by disgruntled det. commanders who's vehicles got more than the line in the sand 2 "A" jobs before an OC's displeasure were common. However, our biggest fear was using the tyre inflators after changing the inner tube, or replacing the tyre on a 3 piece split rim. How there was never an incident involving hardened steel rims being forced during tyre inflation at pressures up to 123 psi and the soft flesh and bone of an organic sand bag were more luck than judgement. It wasn't until a few years later I went to Leccy on a class 1 drivers qual. that I saw my first tyre inflation cage. I cringed at the thought of having to use the guardroom fire hose to wash down the ceiling of the MT after an aborted take off of an suspecting "2 piece split trooper" before going for my NAAFI break.
This "springs" to mind.

Dwarf

LE
If a superheated vasectomy is “the chop”. Drunken RN rating (chef I think) came back from ashore having had a few and decided to take a piss before crossing the gangway. What he pissed on was the shore connection box, 440v at loads of amps. They used to show the post morgen pics on first aid and HSE courses, from his knees to lower abdomen all gone (or very very charred)
While walking in the Pyrenees a few years back I stopped in a village to shop, went round the back of a bus-stop for a leak and pissed on a black and yellow banded snake. Luckily I managed to retreat before he decided to take action.
That would have been an interesting way to die with a asp viper or its cousin biting my knob, but not something I would recommend.

Finding someone to suck out the poison might have been even more interesting.

1612287090727.png

I've got to say, my "apprenticeship" as a grease monkey down the servicing bay was always lively with the usual mix of quality wind-ups from the seasoned section NCO. The more serious, sometimes viciously autocratic one way b@llockings from the MTO for the state of the shop floor on Friday afternoon and threats of physical violence aimed at the young but thick skinned REME VM inspector, or us crows by disgruntled det. commanders who's vehicles got more than the line in the sand 2 "A" jobs before an OC's displeasure were common. However, our biggest fear was using the tyre inflators after changing the inner tube, or replacing the tyre on a 3 piece split rim. How there was never an incident involving hardened steel rims being forced during tyre inflation at pressures up to 123 psi and the soft flesh and bone of an organic sand bag were more luck than judgement. It wasn't until a few years later I went to Leccy on a class 1 drivers qual. that I saw my first tyre inflation cage. I cringed at the thought of having to use the guardroom fire hose to wash down the ceiling of the MT after an aborted take off of an suspecting "2 piece split trooper" before going for my NAAFI break.
This "springs" to mind.
I have done similar in my MGB many years ago - but with an obviously different outcome.

Killed by exploding tyre when the wheel was being carried inside sports car.

However, our biggest fear was using the tyre inflators after changing the inner tube, or replacing the tyre on a 3 piece split rim. How there was never an incident involving hardened steel rims being forced during tyre inflation at pressures up to 123 psi and the soft flesh and bone of an organic sand bag were more luck than judgement. It wasn't until a few years later I went to Leccy on a class 1 drivers qual. that I saw my first tyre inflation cage. I cringed at the thought of having to use the guardroom fire hose to wash down the ceiling of the MT after an aborted take off of an suspecting "2 piece split trooper" before going for my NAAFI break.
This "springs" to mind.

There is a Tornado nose leg at Cosford which has a dent in the side from when somebody cocked up and mixed up PSI and Bar when doing a wheel top up. The bolts holding the two half hubs gave up and the wheel split. The oleo has a great big dent in it. The leg is very thick and built to take a lot of pressure, but still dented. The aircraft was written off I believe, luckily no injuries.
We used to drop a dustbin lid behind people when they were doing a first inflation on aircraft tyres to seat the bead.

RP.