Interesting way of altering Shotgun Shell characteristics

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Hellmans, Apr 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This guy shows how to turn any shotgun shell into a virtual solid slug.

Don't you just love the short barrelled side by side look!

Shotguns Lost Arts pt. 1

2. I used to buy solid lead 12 bore rounds called polycore in Canada. from 50 metres a polycore round would blast its way through and through a heavy duty galvanised steel armcor culvert. Never got to fire them at anything living though.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This technique was widely practised by farmers and members of Dad's Army during WWII. I've got an old Home Guard manual somewhere which shows you how to kill a German with a cut cartridge.

4. Splitting the case is nothing new.

5. and it doesn't half improve the recoil, tried it with a 3" magnum once from a Mossberg 500 By f'ck it woke me up

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok for emergencies but not something I would want to do a lot of. I cant imagine the pressure curve forcing the top half og the case through a barrel as thin as a shot gun and proofed for 3 tons or less!
    Nice coach gun though!

7. I wonder how much it increases the pressure by forcing the whole thing down the forcing cone?

What is also sometimes done I believe is making a small hole in the top of the shell, in the centre of the star crimp, and filling the shot cup with candle wax so that you have a shot/wax composite slug inside the shot cup. Frangible slugs!

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There are lots of tips for tricks like this but none of them are really safe!

9. Going the other way, you used to be able to buy carts designed to scatter the shot through tight chokes. One used cube shot cut from lead sheet, another called "Disco Volante" (flying saucer) was made with flattened shot in the form of discs.

The other trick to increase the spread was to put a cardboard cross down the middle of the shot load. I have tried this and it works quite well.

These were made in the main for the semi auto market before the introduction of variable chokes.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its an old trick, prison guards used to be issued rifles with bullet cutters in the bore meaning the round wouldnt travel too far but would still mean you could die or bleed out if struck. The Italians were using these in WW2 and I seem to remember the Prison Gds at Dartmoor being issued Sniders with it fitted when shot cartridges were obsolete!

11. I remember seeing solid shot shells on sale in France, allegedly used on wild boar, I wouldn't want to use them with any shotgun that had choked barrels for fear of bursting them!!

12. Among the many many firearms related bits of kit in my grandfathers* estate was a mold for making 12-bore solid shot. Intresting bit of kit I still have around the place somewhere.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok another myth busting moment, shotguns with full chokes should be fine to fire solid shot out unless the cartridge packaging says otherwise. Many slugs are only effective in fully choked bores. The damage to barrels is more likely to result from them being shot out or having small imperfections during manufacture. I cast and load slugs, the one and a half ounce Lyman Shocker slug for the 12 bore is designed to be fired from a full choke using a full length plas wad/shot cup. This is because the slug is actually 20 bore and being designed like an ounce and a half eley wasp airgun pellet will fit well and its skirt will expand to fit the bore should it part company with the wad/cup before leaving the muzzle!
    I have had some astonishing accuracy out of these and I find that hollow base slugs shoot better than solid base ones.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Should you ever want to part with it I am always looking for bits like that!

15. Hmm.. I still wouldn't risk it! I did however fire a few through a skeet gun, hell of a kick & a lot of damage to the tree I'd aimed at some 40/50 yards away!