Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Interesting vid of the feed system on a Mauser 98 failing the Ronseal test

Not a public video, but interesting, I thought. Feel free to share though if the fancy takes you.

I was having some trouble with Romanian steel-cased 168gn ball sometimes not making it under the extractor, and the military 98 Mausers have no provision for the extractor to clip over an already-chambered case. Interestingly this was something fixed on the target rifle conversions we had at school, since we weren't supposed to use the magazine (and they didn't work well with 7.62x51 anyway without adjustment).

I just so happened to catch some footage that showed exactly what's happening - the rounds are sometimes stick-slipping and jumping out of the magazine as they clear the lips, rattling around and not always ending up under the extractor. This one did, but a bunch of others didn't.

So this is what happens when controlled-feed doesn't do exactly what it says on the tin.

Never knew that Mausers had that problem, but then I have never had a Mauser!
Moral of the story, don't buy el cheapo ammo!

Says he who bought 1000rds of gash Austrian mil 30-06 along with dodgy Portuguese 7.62.

Never knew that Mausers had that problem, but then I have never had a Mauser!
Moral of the story, don't buy el cheapo ammo!

Says he who bought 1000rds of gash Austrian mil 30-06 along with dodgy Portuguese 7.62.

Heh. Cheap is relative - we're talking CHF 0.80 per bang instead of CHF 1.- per bang... But I'll not be tight-fisted with it int he future...

Heh. Cheap is relative - we're talking CHF 0.80 per bang instead of CHF 1.- per bang... But I'll not be tight-fisted with it int he future...
At current rates that's almost € 0.80 per bang. Ouch. No idea what 7.92 costs north of the border, but 30-06 is about € 0.55 a go and 7.62 around € 0.50. Still we all know that the Swiss are loaded.

Sorry about that, tip of the slongue.

At current rates that's almost € 0.80 per bang. Ouch. No idea what 7.92 costs north of the border, but 30-06 is about € 0.55 a go and 7.62 around € 0.50. Still we all know that the Swiss are loaded.

Sorry about that, tip of the slongue.

Meh. It's the squiffy exchange rate. At purchasing power parity, chf 0.80 = £0.36, chf 1.- = £0.45.

We only *seem* loaded based on the exchange rate. Just look at what we pay for everything*. Except booze and petrol. They're still cheaper here.

(* lunch was a Big Tasty mit Bacon medium menu. CHF 16 or something).