Interesting use of a German shell case - Croatia.

jambosun

Old-Salt
20200814_115637.jpg
I'm currently on the island of Solta, just off Split. The long haired Admiral and I were in a little cove near Stomorska this morning when I noticed an inverted shell case being used as a bollard for the small boats to tie up to. The markings are still very clear. I know that in 43/44 the Allies fought in the surrounding Islands and a bit more digging showed that 2 Cdo launched a successful raid here to capture the small German garrison in Grohote. Anyway i thought the shell was interesting and if any of the resident historians can tell me anything more about it, I'd appreciate it.
20200814_115620.jpg
20200814_115611.jpg
20200814_115606.jpg

View attachment 497014I'm currently on the island of Solta, just off Split. The long haired Admiral and I were in a little cove near Stomorska this morning when I noticed an inverted shell case being used as a bollard for the small boats to tie up to. The markings are still very clear. I know that in 43/44 the Allies fought in the surrounding Islands and a bit more digging showed that 2 Cdo launched a successful raid here to capture the small German garrison in Grohote. Anyway i thought the shell was interesting and if any of the resident historians can tell me anything more about it, I'd appreciate it.View attachment 497011View attachment 497012View attachment 497013
For one of these

Flak18-36.jpg

View attachment 497014I'm currently on the island of Solta, just off Split. The long haired Admiral and I were in a little cove near Stomorska this morning when I noticed an inverted shell case being used as a bollard for the small boats to tie up to. The markings are still very clear. I know that in 43/44 the Allies fought in the surrounding Islands and a bit more digging showed that 2 Cdo launched a successful raid here to capture the small German garrison in Grohote. Anyway i thought the shell was interesting and if any of the resident historians can tell me anything more about it, I'd appreciate it.View attachment 497011View attachment 497012View attachment 497013
Looks like a standard Flak 18 (German 88mm) case to me. There's a bit of information on the different types of 88mm ammo here:

As you say, No2 Cdo launched a raid there, Operation Detained was a commando assault on the island in WW2:
An attack on the German held village of Grohote in the Damatian Island of Solta. The assault involved two Landing Craft Infantry (LCI), one from Vis and the other from Komiza. A spare LCI from Komiza accompanied them. Each towed a Landing Craft Assault (LCA). The RAF also provided aerial support to the Commandos consisting of 36 Kittyhawk dive bombers. The raid was successful and the Commandos later evacuated back to thier base at Vis with the entire German garrison of over 100 soldiers as prisoners.

.......... The action on Hvar was concurrent with another action by No. 2 Commando, termed as an ‘Officers Reconnaissance’ by our Colonel. This was taking place on Solta and employed the services of Lieut. McMenamin, Capt. S.L. Jenkins with L/Cpl Wright and Dvr. Robert Scholem, who was one of No. 2 Commando’s Germans. This party had been observing the enemy garrison at Grohote which had been earmarked for a ‘visit’ in March on Jack’s calendar. Before this group returned from their work they encountered a large German patrol who opened fire, inflicting mortal wounds on the leader, Capt. Samuel Jenkins, age 29, a former Welsh Rugby international from Carmarthen. Dvr. Scholem made his way back to the safety of a partisan hideout after travelling for over thirty hours on a broken ankle without food or water. It is sad for this author to relate that after all this, poor Bob Scholem was to be K.I.A. in Italy one month before the war ended, age 21.
The tenure of No. 2 Commando reached its high point with a textbook operation against the 110 man enemy garrison at a village called Grohote (see Operation Detained 1). It happened on this author’s 20th birthday on March 19th, 1944. About two thirds of No. 2 had arrived to form a horseshoe formation about the village awaiting the order from Jack to move in. I was talking to my friend, Lieut. Jim Coyle about birthdays in general and he gave me the usual ‘Happy Birthday’ spiel. We then attended to the business at hand – 102 prisoners were taken and six of the German defenders were killed. It was most orderly. We sent the prisoners away and told them to pack their personal belongings which they did. We then found a garrison muster-roll belonging to the German officer in charge, and called the roll. As each Hans, Ludwig, Gunther and several Johans answered their names, we realized that we had captured the lot and no one had got away. Perfect! Jack eyed the scene benignly and led us back to our embarkation point. Our only casualty that day was Cpl. Cecil Cox from Sussex, age 24, who died of wounds received in the assault.

jambosun

Old-Salt
I will be in Grohote next week; it's only a couple of miles from here and a tiny place. I shall see if I can find the hotel that was the garrison HQ. Thank you for the replies gents.

@jambosun,
That casing is in bloody good nick.
O/T but, the nudist beaches are on the Islets near Maslinica. ;)

jambosun

Old-Salt
Thanks @shiny_arrse . I was up that way 2 years ago but thankfully not on the islets. The last thing I need is yet another restraining order!

4(T)

LE
Presumably the case is filled with concrete and rebar, but its extraordinary that the thin case metal hasn't worn or eroded away.

I wonder if its a fairly recent addition to the jetty?

jambosun

Old-Salt
Presumably the case is filled with concrete and rebar, but its extraordinary that the thin case metal hasn't worn or eroded away.

I wonder if its a fairly recent addition to the jetty?
Yes, it's definitely filled and it looks as if it has been painted at some stage. I can't recall if it was there in 2018 and we didn't take any pictures of that bay then. I will see if there are any other markings on the body of the case in the next couple of days.

can you get it out?
collectors pay a premium for anything with the eagle and swastika Waffenampt on it.

jambosun

Old-Salt
It is on solidly and I've no interest in trying to remove it. It belongs to the island and is part of its history. I'd much rather it stayed where I was than in the hands of someone with no connection to it.

I also dont want to get a shoeing from the locals!

Having between barely discernible and zero knowledge of such munitions, it looks to me (from the first image of the bollard) as though the shell case is firmly ensconced within a steel pipe.

jambosun

Old-Salt
Having between barely discernible and zero knowledge of such munitions, it looks to me (from the first image of the bollard) as though the shell case is firmly ensconced within a steel pipe.
I just came to check and it is the entire shell case that's been used; it's not in a pipe. As I said before, it has been painted at some stage and I think it must have been recovered from the sea as there is old barnacle crustation towards what is now the top. Hopefully it will be here when I come back next.

4(T)

LE
Beaten to it, but if the case body was within a steel pipe, then the protrusion height of the case rim wouldn't be right - i.e. it'd be the visible height plus the thickness of the steel pipe.

I think these 88mm cases were made in both brass and mild steel. This one appears to be steel.

Latest Threads