Interesting take on soup kitchens and the homeless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7155783.stm

Very different views form sme suprising sources.

This was the bit that made me think...again.

[qute] Former rough sleeper Mark Johnson says it really can happen to any one of us: "We're all prone to that - you know all of us - a breakdown in a relationship, or some sort of trauma or a death or a tragic event - we're all there, much closer than we care to realise."

He remembers hearing a very similar view from a city hedge fund manager: "He said in a very quiet conversation we had: 'Do you know what, I know that I'm only ever a couple of bad decisions away from being on the street myself,' and I thought that was a really good insight into being in this world because everyone is." [/quote]

Having been evicted following my councils' advice, this still chills me to the bone. My family and me spent a year and six days in B&B because I did exactly what they told me to do! If it wasn't for Shelter, i don't know or want to know what would have happened to us.

In case anyone knows one of the 10% of homeless folk who are ex-Forces (less the guys MDN and co have already sorted out), this BBC Panorama webpage has a number of useful links to try and get them some help if they want it.

Edited to add a number that puts things in perspective.

FallingUmberellaSoldier, I think you've missed the point of my post. Or should I say No Shit Sherlock, we all have it better than 3rd World countries. I was showing the difference of opinion between the main players.

I Pray you never have to experience this, but then you'd just rough it I bet.

Fallschirmjager said:
Hey, I lived in Montgomery lines for 5 years! That was worse then living under Waterloo bridge!
Pussy. I was dragged up in Liverpool for 16 years. I could eat a jack russell raw by the age of five.

Bad_Crow said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Hey, I lived in Montgomery lines for 5 years! That was worse then living under Waterloo bridge!
Pussy. I was dragged up in Liverpool for 16 years. I could eat a jack russel raw by the age of five.
Condolences.

Got any flat screen TVs for sale?? :D

B*ll$cks you win :D

Bossdog said:
Bad_Crow said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Pussy. I was dragged up in Liverpool for 16 years. I could eat a jack russel raw by the age of five.
Condolences.

Got any flat screen TVs for sale?? :D
I have. But if you wait 2 days i'll be putting them out for 25% off.

January Sales aint just for the legitimate!

some provision yes but you can go over the top
and end up supporting the "brew crew"
as a hostel worker use to piss me off bloke on nearly £200 a week benefits used the soup run for free food :roll:
free clothes from day centre etc etc

Recce19 said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7155783.stm

He remembers hearing a very similar view from a city hedge fund manager: "He said in a very quiet conversation we had: 'Do you know what, I know that I'm only ever a couple of bad decisions away from being on the street myself,' and I thought that was a really good insight into being in this world because everyone is."
[/quote]

What a load of balls. How many fund managers does that happen to without serious drink/drugs as a factor?

long term incapacity benefit and high rate DLA :roll:

In an interview about this on the news they were showing Poles queuing up for food to take back home even though they were working and had a shared house or even one just with their family (the excuse was they work for such low wages this is how they make ends meet)

It also had a white brit begger claiming he was being done out of his earnings now, he used to 'earn' over £100.00 a day on the streets then head off to a doss house/squat for the night but with all the immigrants they are getting some of the cash/handouts he used to have btw he also claimed jobseekers

all sodding freebies

brighton hippy said:
long term incapacity benefit and high rate DLA :roll:
Amazing!! I'm on both of those and its £109.50

Fallschirmjager said:
I lived in Cavalry Bks in Hounslowistan that's got to be worse!

I forget what esle he was on but always had shed loads of cash come giro day strangely none for rent or food :roll: