• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Interesting Stuff...

If the army is so busy fighting wars on two fronts, how can they find time to send two regular officers to train full time for the olympics?

Jorrocks said:
If the army is so busy fighting wars on two fronts, how can they find time to send two regular officers to train full time for the olympics?
At the risk of a bite.....

For the same reason they can find high quality officers to run Army Recruiting Teams, Corps Recruiting Teams etc.

Recruiting, second only to operations in priority.

Norman, I couldn´t agree with you more - recruiting is vital, but this has nothing to do with sending two officers away for a year on a jolly that contributes nothing to operational effectiveness. Your underlying comment may be that they are contributing to recruiting. If this were the case, why isn´t the army getting more mileage out of it with some high profile PR?

Does anyone know how many other serving regulars are representing their country in Bejing this year? I´m sure it´s been covered in Soldier Mag, but that´s not available where I am.

I

In_my_day

Two RN officers, Lt Peter Reed (coxless fours) and Lt Commander Penny Clark (Laser Radial, single handed sailing) are also competing.

IMD

Jorrocks said:
Your underlying comment may be that they are contributing to recruiting. If this were the case, why isn´t the army getting more mileage out of it with some high profile PR?
How much do you want? Google either name and you'll find they've had some pretty impressive coverage in the nationals, MOD publications etc. etc. The Times article in the opening message of this thread is very good reading and a lot of valuable column inches.

All of this stuff would swallow vast amounts of cash normally, but actually it has stung us for a couple of Captains' salaries and the associated opportunity costs. Not bad for 'high profile' PR - and certainly a lot better than the alternative (see Will 'Shagger' Carling for how to get it completely wrong).

Jorrocks said:
Jorrocks,

So presumably we should stop all adventure training, sport etc? This view seems pretty narrow minded and is similar to the reason why Will Carling was forced out of the Army. The Army has nearly 10,000 officers. Do you really think that the absence of these 2 is harming the "war effort"? I thik you will find that quite a few high calibre people think about joining the Army as a consequence of the associated publicity. I see this story and think "good news story about the Army - good luck to them". You see it and think "how come they get to loaf around doing sport" Normally your views are pretty good but this just seems a bit petty.

Will Carling was not "forced out" of the Army...he made a personal choice based on his own appreciation of what career path A and career path B might mean for a General Science graduate of Durham University!

Jorrocks said:
Your underlying comment may be that they are contributing to recruiting. If this were the case, why isn´t the army getting more mileage out of it with some high profile PR?
Actually Jorrocks - perhaps I was a bit hasty. The Army PR/Marketing machine missed an opportunity here. If CRG had had enough prompting (but then he is a 1*!) we may have been able to mount a short, sharp campaign to tie in with the Olympics - in much the same way as we tried with the Everest climb. In other words perhaps we did miss a cracking opportunity to get some good PR and have simply ridden the wave of clever (civvie) journalism which has picked this up for us.

Following when we should be leading :roll:

i remember being told a few years back, by recruiters, that the most effective recruiting tool in the AFCO was the big cardboard display showing all the different famous sporting personalities who were also serving (or ex-)servicemen and women.

Jorrocks said:
You´re right, good luck to them. I must be suffereing from "everyone´s on holiday except me" syndrome.
I'm not sure that training three times a day, most days, for the last eighteen months quite counts as 'a holiday'. One, if not both, will be straight back 'in the saddle' immediately he returns from Beijing too, medal or not. Punchy stuff, and not for the unmotivated. Eight cruised this morning's heat - a real medal chance there in what is undoubtedly the 'blue riband' event for rowing.

Yep, Robin B-T is straight off to Afghan after the games - think it was mentioned in a recent interview with him and I'm pretty sure Heathcote is the same. At least their phys will be up to scratch 8)

Latest Threads