Interesting short article on Scottish Independence

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by semper, Dec 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hmmm... Aside from the Andrew losing a place to park their ungentlemanly craft I see no major downside. We've used most of the oil and I prefer the Lake District to the Highlands....
  2. so you think England would be better off
    I suppose some number crunching would be required to see if we will benefit from it as much as the Scots would also will we still maintain an amicable arrangment for the foreseeable future or will we bicker until Divorce looks like a better option.

the Czech and Slovak did just that, known as the Velvet Divorce.
  3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Jesus. Do you want to try that in English?

Mod edit. Slightly confusing but see IT Guy's post below and the quote he has, er, quoted. Sixty's post above refers to that post (and not Semper's) which has been removed to A&E. Hope that makes sense! Sixty, apologies for any confusion. Forastero
  4. Financialy I think that England would be better off. Still don't want to see the break-up of the Union though. Yet I expect it (the breakup) is inevitable.
  5. Scots? Do one. Please. We'll even pay the 8 or 9% and hand you your share of the debt.

You want it - you have opened the box and believed Mel Feckin Gibson. You deserve your independence.

6. Fcuk independence. It's a lame haggis.

If it ever get's that far, i'll be sneaking down from the grampian's to shoe Salmond's mob to death.

We've already had our orders from the only authority in the land, the highland granny, and she said words to the effect of, "pish aff yur scunners, nae independence!!"

7. I could very well be wrong since it's been a while since I read up on the whole affair but don't the Acts of Union have a clause basically saying that only the English/UK Parliament gets to decide if and when to dissolve the whole affair and in what manner to do so? I'll have to double check now.

As for Scotland going independent, in my opinion they'd either make it after something of a rough start or there would be some sort of incident along the lines of Darien Scheme level disaster and the whole thing comes unstuck. Well we already have one Scottish supposed financial genius royally buggering up the economy at the moment. ;) On the basis of splitting the assets, why not simply do that and then agree to take their half of all the debts in return for all the best parts of their half of the assets? :)
  8. 2020 will be the year - 700th anniversary of the Declaration of Arbroath.
  9. I've just pasted that into Microsoft Word and it counted 73 spelling and grammatical errors.

May I suggest you try doing the same before posting?
  10. Absolutely correct, Although Public sector growth has been an illness which WILL affect the whole UK economy in a serious fashion, as Liarbour have increased this sector well beyond the "Kanesian" recommended 15%, it will affect an independent Scottish economy more.

Areas like the west of Scotland that became a government priority around seven years ago has felt an astonishing level of employment government "buy back", a situation that is already causing union unrest because of the inevitability of "streamlining" if you talk to Liarbor or "cuts" if you talk to Tory. will the repercussions be as big as the general strike of 1926? I don’t know but I think it will be big.

As for Oil, there is clear international guidelines on Oil resources and you only have to read about the posturing in the Arctic to understand firstly the principle, and secondly the international importance placed upon it, and potential impact from it.

The SNP has an Anti Nuclear stance and i can not help but wonder whether this is a school boy fantasy being continued into the real world. It really matters not, the economic impact of this posture will no doubt be felt in time. Hunterston C, if their ever was going to be one, should have been in the final phases of completion now preparing to go live, Hunterston B is dangerously close to the end of its "REAL" life and beyond its recommended life. It is too late to seamlessly introduce a new nuclear power station, and all other options i.e. wind farms, are not cost effective or actually in existence in anywhere near the numbers required to sustain Scottish hunger for power (expect to buy from both England and Norway).

An interesting point on football supporter mentality. It was interesting to hear the fervour in support of the SNP in the lead up to the last election as it was not in any way like what people imagine. A cartoon strip typical conversation went something like this:
    Who are you voting for in the next election?
    Me? Labour, im a worker and Labour are the party of the working man always have been always will be, always labour me!!
    Oh right, well the working man is protesting against labour just to make them understand they need us.
    Oh right SNP it is, that’s the vote of the working man. Vote SNP.

all it took was a whispering campaign that is sad to say the least.

and before any jocks start getting the hump because they resemble that, I am a jock and have been in utter disbelief at almost everything I hear politically since I came home.
  11. Please can we have a festive truce? Resume normal hostilities after Hogmaney?
  12. Private sector productivity is slowly diminishing in Scotland, as there is a number of factors causing this problem.

factor 1: a low birth rate in the productive cross section of society over the last 20 years (and a high birth rate in the non productive benefit claiming) has created a void in skilled and middle management employment, that is likely to increase over the next ten years. a recent report has suggested that a high rate of immigration will be required in order to sustain or develop the private sector.

factor 2: Private investment of any meaningful level is virtually non existent outside of call centres and support roles (call centres with a bit of tech know how by the way). The impact of this type of investment is such that many colleges catering for inhabitants of previously rundown areas do not offer a substantial selection of courses outside of hair and beauty and call centre skills. Call centres and industry support roles will not provide any substantial liquidity to an independent economy, aside from income tax as the profit making arm of these companies are not registered in Scotland.

factor 3: Many large companies have already expressed their desire to relocate their operations from Scotland should independence be achieved resulting in local unemployment and loss of valuable liquidity to the economy.

In short I believe that the Scottish Nazi Party are chasing a personal childhood dream which is not for the benefit of the many, and have prospered as a result of the stubborn nature of the voter, who is a Labour man and would die before voting Tory, but will follow the crowd like a heard of sheep and vote SNP because it is the working mans protest vote.

Independence will be a disaster unless a serious rethink occurs.

13. Good plan, lets invade on Jan 1st (AM). The sweaties won't even have had time to change skirts.