Interesting Piece on Afghan Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a thoughtful op-Ed by Bing West, a combat USMC veteran and prolific military writer and correspondent:

I for one agree with him and Gen. Allen:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/09/30/john-allen-afghanistan-insider-attacks-60-minutes_n_1927727.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. An interesting story jj, thanks for posting it.

3. Bing West talks common sense. The politicians will have a hard time understanding.

4. Good post - clarity.

5. The politicians that matter have only one thing in mind and that takes place in about 6 weeks time.

Once that is over we can expect the politicians to start listening to their senior commanders and producing policies that make some sense - and that does not include throwing your hands up and handing it all back to the Taliban!

6. Good piece, although it does disappoint me slightly that despite being involved in Afghanistan for over a decade, we still translate madrassa as 'Islamist school'.

7. I always thought that's what it is, please educate me.

8. It just means school, mate.

9. A pedantic point really because any school in a muslim country will teach in accordance with islam and sharia law

10. In the same way as CofE schools teach about Jesus and British law. But not 'Islamist' and I don't like the connotations.

11. I think you need to take a breath and relax. While I realize that as people do all over the world, especially concerning things not generally known, we over-generalize. To the extent some in the "west" have negative connotations about madrasahs I think it is a result of both ignorance and having seen the material taught in some of them both here in the US and in Muslim countries where the children are indoctrinated to hate the infidel etc. I have personally seen such school materials.

In contrast when I last checked, i am unaware of any parochial Christian schools teaching a corresponding view that encourages hatred of those of other cultures and religions.

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

My favourite of the comments below that piece:
    "People can write critically (rightly) of the wars and the defence spending but they still tiptoe around the matter of the soldiers - they're still either heroic or noble or faultless. Nobody dare criticise them. Soldiers are stupid, trained killers doing the dirty work of the ruling classes. You meet soldiers and they're not nice people. They kill for a living, they're violent towards anyone who aren't like them, such as liberals, pinkos, students, smartarses, women, gays...They will fire on their own people in times of domestic protest. A few soldiers who have experienced the futility of these wars and poor treatment from the authorities afterwards see the light but most are brainwashed lackeys killing people and risking their own lives to make a few rich powerful people even richer and more powerful. If they're killed, what has killed them is their own stupidity. This needs to be said by somebody."

The (Manchester) Guardian. Home to nonsensical idiots for over 100 years.

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Makes me burst with pride, that does. Where do I join?

• Like Like x 2
  14. What planet is Simon Jenkins on?