interesting photos on email doing the rounds.

#2
32 years of freedom seems to have given everyone a suntan - in the first 2 photos the hotel guests are mostly white.
I supposes the tourist industry has dried up a bit lately a bit like the pool.

So what do the pictures prove? Only that the locals are now using an old hotel as a place to live, and that the pool needs a bit of maintenance.
 
#4
Had some pretty good nights ashore in Beira in the 70's. Never quite made it as far as the Grande hotel mind, there was a bar outside the dock gate called the Moulin Rouge ... happy days. Lorenco Marques was better though more bars and some very exotic ladies
 
#5
Anything can mean anything out of context. So it's no longer a resort for white people and the locals are not so keen on sunbathing. Ah well, let them have their country back.
 
#6
Nige said:
32 years of freedom seems to have given everyone a suntan - in the first 2 photos the hotel guests are mostly white.
I supposes the tourist industry has dried up a bit lately a bit like the pool.

So what do the pictures prove? Only that the locals are now using an old hotel as a place to live, and that the pool needs a bit of maintenance.
Right on brother, that must be the reason.
 
#7
Their country, let 'em do what they want with it :) , free of our prying eyes, hidden agendas, political or financial interest, and political and financial intervention :).
 
#8
You should see what happened to the rest of Africa. Fifty years' worth of aid has done some remarkable things.

OK, so most of it went to Switzerland, and there's a sizeable (ie very, very fat) expatriate community in the South of France, London and California, and the market for black Mercedes-Benz S-class limos is at the top of the curve, but I think this meeting of minds in Portugal is going to produce real results. I really do.
 
#9
Why do our PC politicians want to ''help'' Africa? It's beyond me.Let the Afs go through their own pain,with their own leaders.When that phase is over, they might listen to outsiders.Or do they still want to refer to the slave trade,and try to shame us,into giving them aid,when their own leaders are even more corrupt than ours?
 
#10
I think the point is,
We British were the best thing the African ever had, Good Schools, Roads, Housing, Jobs, Justice, Policing, good Armies, plentiful Food, most important of all incorrupt Adminstration that cuts across ethnic divides.

Other European nation had other influences on how things were done, I think Mozambique was Portugese, I could not say how good they were, but by loking at the picture probably better than the the current Government are doing, looking at the difference in the photos, the roads had degenerated to tracks, 'nuff said.

Ok we weren't perfect we made mistakes, the good we did out weighed it, they got their Indepndence and they were free to fúck it up and squander our bequest, the School went downhill, Roads weren't maintained, Jobs went, questionable Justice system, Corruption ruled, Tribal conflict killed peoples and denied you opprtunities.

Im sure some Africans wished we were back, but I would say no, I have been to Africa, it would be very problematic, its no longer our problem.
 
#11
Were those first pictures taken from the recent Airtours catalogue? And the following by the new 'guests' on arrival?
 
#13
this is Zim ?
 
#14
semper said:
Other European nation had other influences on how things were done, I think Mozambique was Portuguese, I could not say how good they were, but by looking at the picture probably better than the the current Government are doing, looking at the difference in the photos, the roads had degenerated to tracks, 'nuff said.
They were so-so but by the end things had deteriorated rapidly. A military dictatorship on one side that didn't want to let go and used censorship to keep people back home in the dark and varied guerrilla groups on the other, both carrying out tit-for-tat atrocities and reprisals. When the revolution kicks off with the freedom fighters attacking remote settler outposts and butchering everyone you know it's not going to be pretty.

It's funny but I'm currently on a course with a guy that was originally from Somalia before it all went to hell and he emigrated over here and we somehow got on to this topic the other day. It was rather amusing since he was rather annoyed that Somalia was an Italian colony rather than British one as according to him they fucked up the job and that we nearly always seemed to leave ours in fairly good condition. You should have seen the resident lefties faces when he came out with that one. :)

semper said:
This is Zim?
By the looks of it. This is what happens when the government introduces price controls that mean you end up having to sell things to the public for less than what it costs to buy yourself. Unless you happen to have access to hard currency or Zanu-PF connections you're pretty much fucked.
 

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
#16
Bollocks.

The Grande Hotel last year…



And following the decision to go All-Inclusive with direct flights from John Lennon International Airport…

 
#17
Brick said:
semper said:
Other European nation had other influences on how things were done, I think Mozambique was Portuguese, I could not say how good they were, but by looking at the picture probably better than the the current Government are doing, looking at the difference in the photos, the roads had degenerated to tracks, 'nuff said.
They were so-so but by the end things had deteriorated rapidly. A military dictatorship on one side that didn't want to let go and used censorship to keep people back home in the dark and varied guerrilla groups on the other, both carrying out tit-for-tat atrocities and reprisals. When the revolution kicks off with the freedom fighters attacking remote settler outposts and butchering everyone you know it's not going to be pretty.

It's funny but I'm currently on a course with a guy that was originally from Somalia before it all went to hell and he emigrated over here and we somehow got on to this topic the other day. It was rather amusing since he was rather annoyed that Somalia was an Italian colony rather than British one as according to him they fucked up the job and that we nearly always seemed to leave ours in fairly good condition. You should have seen the resident lefties faces when he came out with that one. :)

semper said:
This is Zim?
By the looks of it. This is what happens when the government introduces price controls that mean you end up having to sell things to the public for less than what it costs to buy yourself. Unless you happen to have access to hard currency or Zanu-PF connections you're pretty much fucked.
Interesting comment on Somalia, the north has broken away and become Somaliland which was British run, it has broken away from former Italian Somalia in 1991, seems we did leave something of a legacy there, as they have a stable government, Currency, Police, infrastructure, compared to the anarchy in the south, Puntland has also broken away is also stable but does not seek independence unlike Somaliland who does and have voted in a referenum in 2001 to become independent and seek International recognition.
I think it should, precedence has already been set in that it was independent for a short while in 1960 atteh end of British rule and union with Italian Somalia.

Somaliland is not without problems, there were some attacks on aid workers and fears that Islamist is setting up there, it is however far far better than Somalia itself.

Somaliland Info
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/country_profiles/3794847.stm

Puntland Info
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/country_profiles/4276288.stm
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top