Interesting IRA Documentary and Discussion

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wedge35, May 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Top Documentary Films is a free site that I visit quite often and they have just uploaded the series 'Provos' by Peter Taylor (an experienced British journalist during the troubles). Some of you might remember it from the 90s and it's definitely worth a watch.

Of equal interest, however, is the discussion that's going on in the comments section below the videos. An Irish bloke is giving a little instruction to a couple of pro-IRA Americans and making quite a good job of it. Makes for interesting reading...

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/provos

PS Probably not a good idea to jump in an join the discussion from an ARRSE perspective as it would probably ruin a good defence from an actual Paddy!

2. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

This documentary has been on youtube for a while now. Peter Taylor also did a series called Loyalists and one called Brits.
    The only thing that came across is that most of the people on either side had no respect for human life whatsoever. The only ones with the ethos to "protect life and property" were the police and the soldiers.

3. Not "most"; perhaps "many". If it had been "most" it would certainly have been much worse - unbelievable though that may seem to those who did not live through it.
    Many, on both sides of the religious divide, did not by any means approve of what the violent groups and their hangers-on were claiming in their name.
    Yes indeed the Security Forces stayed generally within an ethos of "protecting life and property". Many thousands of others did as well, including the families of those police and soldiers domiciled there. And the business people and their hard-pressed employees worked through conditions the like of which only those directly touched by such events could imagine.

Without the support of the many who supported the rule of law the police and Army would have had a much more difficult time.

4. I completed more tours than I care to mention in NI from the onset of the 'Troubles' on.
    The vast majority of the population wanted to live peacefully they were co-erced and terrorised by the thugs in their midst. My heart went out to those decent people who were trapped in what was a nightmare - I think that's why we held the terrorists - on either side - in such contempt and why we showed - despite 'Republican' propoganda to the contrary - such remarkable restraint and empathy when dealing with the general population.

One only has to look at the Kent State debacle of that era to imagine the situation if any other than the British Army was deployed.

5. Peter Taylor ? Not one of the more reputable observers and commentators on 'The Troubles'. Flavours his reports with more than a fair dose of sensationalism for my taste. Was a bit of a terrorist groupie....... well you have to sell books don't you?
    "It was all done with the aim of balanced reporting". Sure Peter, if you say so.

6. Sorry but I have to agree with Punch & Busterdog in their comments. The decent folk on both sides abhorred the mindless violence that blighted my homeland. As Punch said people had to get on with their everyday jobs as best they could. Unfortunately that usually meant clearing up after another bomb blast etc that caused total destruction. Its strange how you can carry on with life through this but people did. You get so used to hearing bombs and gunfire that you just get acclimatised to it.
    The nature of my job meant that I took messages, almost on a daily basis, informing me of 'bombs', not only in areas around Belfast but also in my place of work itself because of its importance. To anyone outside the troubles this probably seems very frightening but it wasnt somehow, you just got on with it because it was your job.
    The first person I befriended at work was of the opposite religion to me, but that didnt matter. Not everyone in NI was brought up to taig/prod hate, im lucky, I was one of those.

7. "The decent folk on both sides abhorred the mindless violence that blighted my homeland"

Well, I cannot recall many doing anything practical about it. 70-72 anyway

8. Cheers wedge, excellent documentary, very interesting to see the plastic paddies being reduced to mincemeat by real Irish Catholics.

9. Yes, there were some excellent posts on that site that reflected the views of the vast majority north and south in Ireland. As was said, in the polling booth, outside the view of the godfathers of both sides, most people didn't vote for violence. What the PIRA/SinnFein, UVF/UDA could never argue against was that they did not have a mandate at the pooling booth for their armed struggle, resistance or whatever spin they put on it, for all their bluster and propaganda. Without that, they were only armed bullies, trying to impose their will on the majority.