Interesting German Perspective on US Middle East Policy

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

lol do you always get a hard on when foreigners criticise the potus or just this particular potus?

More accurately would be "America's middle east policy is in ruins" surely? Still cheering?
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

America allways had a shit middle east policy basing it on keep the soviets out, a preferably bribable and on side dictator in power who wasn't very religious, don't interfere with our cheap oil and would you like a drink/blond virgin/small boy. but the rest of the world didn't help with its post colonial policies of either runaway or stick a guy we like in after rigging the vote so we can stay in the background.

the cold war was an extension of the great game with a change of players but didn't help as both sides tinkered and encouraged radical destabilising elements to take hold 'like an Alabama tick' to quote Governor Ventura.

I never really understood the desire to play with afghanistan so much back in the 80's pumping hundreds of billions into it beyond the desire to avenge vietnam (if america wanted to blame someone for that they should have nuked paris) if we had left the soviets in then it would likely have been iran taking the heat with india and china. the soviets would still have caved eventually in as they were bankrupt.

after 20 years of keeping the status quo in order to isolate iran and topple saddam the world tried a lets be nice policy influenced by the PC brigade and its not doing so well as the arabs have cottoned on to it.

maybe its time to get nasty and offer to nuke mecca for them if they dont pull their collective heads out of their arses and wind their necks in. mind you mecca is a vegas style theme park now so the wahabis would probably like that.

this whole riots thing though reminds me of nights standing in the shadows talking to the kids who threw rocks at us earlier in the day during op banner, they would say sorry and tell us that they were obeying orders from the men with guns stood watching at the back.
  3. If you take the time to review my posts regarding US politicians (I try not to comment on those of other nations unlike so many other ARRSERs) I have little regard for any of them regardless of party or personality.

As for any physical reaction to which you allude, I can safely say that is not it. Nausea comes closer to the mark.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. And that has gotten us this week's display of gratitude.
  5. I think the Germans have it partly right. The whole point of foreign policy is to benefit the active country and to smooth trade relations and to have a presence in them. But when you support the toppling of one regime for another, you have to be careful what you wish for. In reality a dictatorship or a democracy is irrelevant and you only have to look at the wests support for Israel and Saudi to illustrate the point. Pragmatists will point out that these countries still need to trade, no matter how much name calling goes on and basically the support for the despotic regimes in the ME, since the end of the war is coming home to roost.
  6. The devil is in the details--the who and why and with what we tried for rapproachment. I think we aligned ourselves (again as we did when we facilitated the Karzai government in Afghan) with the wrong group(s) and in the wrong way (suggesting weakness to those who do not desire to coexist in peace).
  7. Why exactly are they targeting ze Germans anyway ?
  8. "Targeting" suggests a rationality that I do not think is very widespread among the rioters.
  9. In my opinion because they are keeping the hated Europe together,(financially at least) crack them you've bagged the lot.
  10. Because the Germans like the Danes before them have cartooned the prophet, they have a small contingent of soldiers in Afghanistan and they are aligned in the west's camp. Dummkopf

11. And because in 1942 they bombed Mo's chippy in Alexandria.
  12. ""The mass-circulation daily Bild writes:

"Naked hatred is raging against a country that many people in the world regard as a symbol of freedom. When US flags burn, embassies are vandalized, and diplomats are murdered, it is an attack on the West, and not just America!"

"We rooted for the demonstrators at Tahrir Square, and many of us have longed to see democracy in the Arab nations. But democracy includes honoring the lives of fellow humans."
    "The turmoil in Libya, Cairo, and Bangladesh is a return to the Middle Ages, when people were beheaded and stoned to death. No pathetic anti-Islam film can justify hate-filled murder."

"The West must be tough on terrorism. And it must show that it can differentiate between rabble-rousers and peaceful Muslims."

With reporting by Hasnain Kazim.""

Well that pretty well squares with my opinion, however I have misgivings about the term "peaceful Muslims", they are like non dangerous explosives, ok until excited.
  13. Funny that, better chips were to be had in Benghazi
  14. Fifth fleet still floating in the Persian Gulf, sweet crude still flowing, twin state solution dead in the water, Arab Spring sprung, Iran cocky as a cocky thing with a big **** off cock.

Nothing much new to see here, the last decade was much more exciting in terms of ME policy prat falls, move along now.

Except they had a crack at the German embassy in Khartoum, that makes a change.