Interesting discovery....

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst having a tidy up in the "armoury" I found myself with a SMLE barrel in one hand and the stock and action of a Greener GP in the other.
    Curiosity being what it is I couldn't resist trying to screw one into the other and to my delight and astonishment it fitted! Indexed 180 degrees out (Which suggests a No.4 barrel would index correctly)
    That said, the extractor cut being 180 deg out means that it lines up as one of the extractor cuts for the Martini extractor. It'd still be a deal of work and I'm not sure the thread fit is tight enough but interesting nonetheless!

2. That is interesting, is the GPs incarnation of the Martini action strong enough for a "modern" .303 load?
    My GP was an absolute bargain at 50 quid about 6-7 years ago, the smith had 3 on the shelf at that price and I reckon I could have got all 3 for a ton if I'd haggled.

As for making it work, the extractor is a simple bit of bench fitting and the bolt/block is flat faced so no work needed there. As you say the extractor cutouts in the barrel would be the main work. I wonder if the GP's "pinch grip" would be enough to stop a rifle barrel unscrewing?

3. Just fastening it hand-tight seems to make it more than hand tight to undo. I'm not sure about the thread profile as it seems a bit sloppy. I think you'd have to cut the chamber forward by the rim depth as the SMLE barrel doesn't allow for a rim (that being taken care of by the action). Headspacing could be entertaining.

I should think the action would be strong enough, 303 isn't a very high pressure load by modern standards (higher than a 12 b for sure) and the Martini action is immensely strong. I'd give it a go if I had the time.