Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Not that I can see any justification whatsoever for the taxpayer to fund the primary boarding education for children of Cyprus based staff when there are perfectly good taxpayer funded service schools in Cyprus.
Stability

I like many other Pad brats bounced from school to school every 18 months to 2 years (typically shortest was 6 months*)

Whilst schools all teach the same subjects they dont all teach in the same order - I missed fractions until i was at 2ndry school at which point rather than being taken to the side and having it explained to me in short words - I was called lazy and a liar because it wasnt possible** - ditto being a year behind on French.

Add to that my dad was attatched personell so even if we were somewhere for 2 years the Regiment may well change. As such friends always coming and going.

(I had 7 schools (one for just 6 weeks*) and 5 colleges - 3 of those were during a single 2 year course - 6 months 6months - 1 year - then moved to start next course - this is/was far from unique in the 80s / 90s)

Not intended as a woe is me - just an example of how disruptive it can be - others may feel that its not such an issue if the student isnt a lazy cnut -

I can see a case for (especially for) attatched personel who dont fit into the typical garrison / roulement structure to give some constant for education.

Edit * Theres a clear contradiction there - (caused by sloppy writing) 6 months was the shortest we lived anywhere - the 6 weeks shortest school was having to live with mother and grandparents as there was no quater (yet) availible where He was posted and the old quater had to be handed over ( Now i come to write it that sounds sus - now wondering if either mother didnt want to stay at X whilst waiting for Y or they were briefly seperated (I was 7 or 8 its a bit blurred)

** I learnt fractions in my late teens / early 20s not through schooling just because i used non metric tools
I still dont calculate fractions though - i more or less work it out as decimals in my head then put the result to metric (for addition at least).

Last edited:
The rules are highly challengeable IMHO. Serving spouse claims CEA and the allowance is paid. Other spouse spends 89 days away from the family home, all good. But if he / she spends 91 days away, the claimant is a crook? Unless they applied to “the authority” for dispensation.

Arbitrary definition; subject to challenge.

How is the 90 day rule challengeable ?

Same 90 day rule HMRC use for tax purposes on overseas earnings.

Spend less than 90 days in the UK, do not pay tax on overseas earnings.

Spend more than 90 days in the UK, stand by ( if you get caught ) to cough up tax on your overseas earnings.

I don't claim to know the background of the 90 day rule, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it is anything but arbitrary.

Amazing that a whole plethora of workers can abide by the 90 day rule, but a Maj Gen struggles to understand it, let alone comply with it.

Stability

I like many other Pad brats bounced from school to school every 18 months to 2 years (typically shortest was 6 months*)

Whilst schools all teach the same subjects they dont all teach in the same order - I missed fractions until i was at 2ndry school at which point rather than being taken to the side and having it explained to me in short words - I was called lazy and a liar because it wasnt possible** - ditto being a year behind on French.

Add to that my dad was attatched personell so even if we were somewhere for 2 years the Regiment may well change. As such friends always coming and going.

(I had 7 schools (one for just 6 weeks*) and 5 colleges - 3 of those were during a single 2 year course - 6 months 6months - 1 year - then moved to start next course - this is/was far from unique in the 80s / 90s)

Not intended as a woe is me - just an example of how disruptive it can be - others may feel that its not such an issue if the student isnt a lazy cnut -

I can see a case for (especially for) attatched personel who dont fit into the typical garrison / roulement structure to give some constant for education.

Edit * Theres a clear contradiction there - (caused by sloppy writing) 6 months was the shortest we lived anywhere - the 6 weeks shortest school was having to live with mother and grandparents as there was no quater (yet) availible where He was posted and the old quater had to be handed over ( Now i come to write it that sounds sus - now wondering if either mother didnt want to stay at X whilst waiting for Y or they were briefly seperated (I was 7 or 8 its a bit blurred)

** I learnt fractions in my late teens / early 20s not through schooling just because i used non metric tools
I still dont calculate fractions though - i more or less work it out as decimals in my head then put the result to metric (for addition at least).
I’m not sure anyone could easily argue about stability of education for children - be that boarding or much better CM.

I think what raises the ire of many is the taxpayer subsidising a tiny group of people to send their kids to very expensive private education.

As someone said upthread - there is a severe danger of the Armed Forces to be seen to be taking the pîss.

I’m not sure anyone could easily argue about stability of education for children - be that boarding or much better CM.

I think what raises the ire of many is the taxpayer subsidising a tiny group of people to send their kids to very expensive private education.

As someone said upthread - there is a severe danger of the Armed Forces to be seen to be taking the pîss.

People are already taking the piss with CEA.

Stability

Which one do you think would benefit three under 11 year old kids more? Three years in Cyprus in school with their parents or three years in a second rate boarding school in Yorkshire? I don’t buy the continuity necessity for primary kids.