Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Well the former decides if a case is worth prosecuting. Funnily enough they dont always get it right.

Maybe the CPS should get the SPA to do all their work for them as they clearly know who is guilty or not.
So the likelihood of someone needing to plead not guilty in front of the CO is low, hence why people haven't heard of it happening. You're right though, if SPA mess it up then it could happen.

So the likelihood of someone needing to plead not guilty in front of the CO is low, hence why people haven't heard of it happening. You're right though, if SPA mess it up then it could happen.

Even guilty people plead not guilty sometimes, normally innocent people do as well.

Not the case with GBH though.

I'm fairly certain those people who battered Usman Khan would be classed as committing GBH if it wasnt for the fact he was a bit of murdering ****.

Not the case with GBH though.

If it was a proportionate thing to do at the time, then yes. People have not been charged when they have killed people in self defence.

As with everything it depends on the circumstances.

If it was a proportionate thing to do at the time, then yes. People have not been charged when they have killed people in self defence.

As with everything it depends on the circumstances.
I think we're using semantic that I don't understand here. Can you explain what charged means and were being formally accused sits?

I think we're using semantic that I don't understand here. Can you explain what charged means and were being formally accused sits?

Formerly accused isn’t a legal term that I have ever heard.

Charged means that a formal decision has been made by police or CPS, that they believe that it is likely that a prosecution for an offence will succeed and that prosecution is in the public interest. It is then written down as a charge, read or sent to the suspect and then disposed of by way of an appearance in the appropriate court or with an out of court disposal, such as a caution etc.

That is my quick summation and not one that I have looked up.

Anyone can allege or accuse someone of something criminal. I suppose it’s formal when it’s been taken and documented.

ISTR some figures being published in the mid to late 2000s for the average cost of training Soldiers and Officers during a full career.
Much Rum has been consumed since then, but I'm fairly sure it was approx. £9000 for a Soldier and upwards of £30000 for an Officer. I also seem to remember the average time spent in training being published, but I haven't a clue of the figures. Again significantly higher for Officers due to their long courses.
Capita’s initial contract award was £495M for 10 years. The website cost £113M and probably has a life of ten years. So that’s roughly £50M a year.

There are something like 500 officers and soldiers permanently employed in recruiting; let’s say the average capitation rate is £40k, so that’s another £20M.

Those adverts don’t come cheap. Just guess £10M a year for PR, ads etc. Then there’s infrastructure costs, tendering costs and other sundries. All up the fully burdened costs of the recruiting set up must be £80+M a year.

It costs more than £10k to get a soldier through the gates of Phase 1.......

Capita’s initial contract award was £495M for 10 years. The website cost £113M and probably has a life of ten years. So that’s roughly £50M a year.

There are something like 500 officers and soldiers permanently employed in recruiting; let’s say the average capitation rate is £40k, so that’s another £20M.

Those adverts don’t come cheap. Just guess £10M a year for PR, ads etc. Then there’s infrastructure costs, tendering costs and other sundries. All up the fully burdened costs of the recruiting set up must be £80+M a year.

80 million divided by 15000 is £5333

I do know of a senior RAF officer (1*, still serving) who was arrested for assaulting a constable (not aggravated) and appeared in the Magistrate's Court about three weeks before going to Cranwell. After some discussion between the Judge and the two solicitors, the police dropped the charge and he went on his way, albeit very chastened. This would have been 1990.
Assault on police is a summary offence equivelent to Common Assault with a maximun sentence of six months. It can only be heard in a magistrates court so there wouldn't be a judge, just the three magistrates or a Stipendary magistrate (the equivelent of a solictor who sits alone). The two solictors would have been the CPS Prosecutor and the Defendants brief. What probably happened was a bit of plea bargaining between the two and he was 'Bound over to keep the peace'.

Or it could have been that the police or the CPS F*cked up the evidence or lost the papers or something similar.

Assault on police is a summary offence equivelent to Common Assault with a maximun sentence of six months. It can only be heard in a magistrates court so there wouldn't be a judge, just the three magistrates or a Stipendary magistrate (the equivelent of a solictor who sits alone). The two solictors would have been the CPS Prosecutor and the Defendants brief. What probably happened was a bit of plea bargaining between the two and he was 'Bound over to keep the peace'.

Or it could have been that the police or the CPS F*cked up the evidence or lost the papers or something similar.
Yes it would have been a magistrate. I was on the same IOT at Cranwell as him; we knew each other beforehand

Well Duhh!!! Did you miss the bit where I said it was in the mid 2000s and that Rum had been drunk!

The thread title is

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock​

Thank you for those posting over the past 10odd pages for turning an interesting thread into a bore.

Please start your own thread about the military v civil courts thread. I am more interested in Bell, Jones et al.

The thread title is

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock​

Thank you for those posting over the past 10odd pages for turning an interesting thread into a bore.

Please start your own thread about the military v civil courts thread. I am more interested in Bell, Jones et al.
You're new here, right?

Alamo

LE
The two systems are barely comparable.

Take for example a typical CO's orderly room: an AWOL, an ND, a drink-driving...fighting is more complicated due to he said/she said, witnesses, booze etc. But the first three are pretty clear cut - its quite difficult to be not-guilty of an ND?
You’re missing the point. This is Stacker you’re debating with. Orderly Rooms are conducted by officers, ergo they are crap and a stitch-up.

Latest Threads