Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

I still marvel at Cook's navigational skills. When I did Longlook in NZ in the early 1990s we went out in a RNZN yacht and flicking through the chart pack (Marlborough Sounds) there were charts marked 'Surv'd By Lt James Cook RN'
Watched a wonderful archaeological programme where an old London grave yard was being dug up as it was on the routeway of HS2.
And in it was the memorial to Captain Flinders RN Matthew Flinders he did the survey of Australia and like Cook there are many references to his work out there. Poor chap was interned in Mauritius for 6 years as a suspected spy on his way back and got back to the UK in 1810. Sadly for him no one was interested in his achievements as we were at war with the French!

A fine chestnut there Sir....

As you can imagine, knowing what I did in a former life this always was a lengthy, impassioned and ultimately pointless debate.

For what it is worth, and only my opinion (worth nowt) officers should have a rudimentary understanding of the skills required of the men and women that they lead. So some officers need to be able to drive. Or shoot a gun. Or operate a mortar. Or load a BFO gun.

Alternatively, as long as they have a degree in textile design from Keele university they will be blessed with this empathy and be natural leaders.
The one time having an officer drive did go horribly wrong was when Rommel pitched up in Libya to bail out the Italians. Lt Gen O'Connor (who had just wiped out the Italian X Army), his successor, Lt Gen Neame (only man ever to win both a VC and an Olympics Gold), and the newly promoted Brigadier Combe (who had been the inspirational CO of 11H) were all in the same staff car, trying to work out where the remnants of 2nd Armd Div were. One of the Generals was driving, having insisted that the absolutely knackered driver get a kip on the back seat. Unfortunately, they drove into a German armoured car patrol. Which proved a bit more expensive than having to explain themselves to over zealous Monkeys... ended up in a VIP POW camp in Italy for the next couple of years, along with that nutter par excellence, Carton de Wiart.

I have just read the history of MCTC and it makes no mention of officers being there, I suspect they are either if the case is serious enough they are remanded to HMP or under close arrest in their room in the O Mess. it does mention that there have been couple of suicides since it opened but no indication of rank.
Aren't they reduced to the ranks?

Since 2013 you can drive a HGV when you are 18, I only found out because someone mentioned it on ARRSE, even then, if they can afford the insurance, young people can still drive expensive cars.
If soldier or anyone else is driving like a twat, then it may be a criminal offence in which case it should be dealt with as such, not pte blogs misjudging something after **** all sleep on exercise and doing minor damage.

In that case there is no reason for officers to not jump behind the wheel of a landy, because they should be wilfully negligent.

Does any other part of the job allow an officer to avoid doing it, in case they get disciplined?
If they (the officers)arent driving like a twat why do they (or a tom) need a summary hearing
I remember that the ROO orders in units always forbade them from intervening in fights or violent behaviour. This was left to the ROS and the guard. The explanation was that assaulting an officer was a much more serious offence than striking a mere SNCO.

The one time having an officer drive did go horribly wrong was when Rommel pitched up in Libya to bail out the Italians. Lt Gen O'Connor (who had just wiped out the Italian X Army), his successor, Lt Gen Neame (only man ever to win both a VC and an Olympics Gold), and the newly promoted Brigadier Combe (who had been the inspirational CO of 11H) were all in the same staff car, trying to work out where the remnants of 2nd Armd Div were. One of the Generals was driving, having insisted that the absolutely knackered driver get a kip on the back seat. Unfortunately, they drove into a German armoured car patrol. Which proved a bit more expensive than having to explain themselves to over zealous Monkeys... ended up in a VIP POW camp in Italy for the next couple of years, along with that nutter par excellence, Carton de Wiart.
Dick O'Connor and Carton de Wiart went under the wire from their POW Camp together with what seemed to be most of the captured General Staff in The Middle East, and were on the run in Italy for 8 days, Neame as an ex Sapper was involved in the deign of the tunnel.
I will forever ask how did someone with one eye and one hand remain OTR for that length of time!

I remember that the ROO orders in units always forbade them from intervening in fights or violent behaviour. This was left to the ROS and the guard. The explanation was that assaulting an officer was a much more serious offence than striking a mere SNCO.

So who breaks up a fight between two officers? ROS wades in, “Fvck off Sgt, this is between me and him”.

“Righty Ho Sir, I’ll just go and call out the Duty Field Officer, shall I?”

So who breaks up a fight between two officers? ROS wades in, “Fvck off Sgt, this is between me and him”.

I suppose that would either be the responsibility of their seconds or a lady shouting "Leave him Tarquin. He's not worth it!"

Not permitted as he had been AWOL for two years, he eventually handed himself in to the Gordon Highlanders Guard Room when they were at Kirknewton. He was the type of person who wanted to go out with a bang and do the whole GCM route.
As his Assistant defending officer we knew our plea of clemency was going to fall on deaf ears when he called the Members a bunch of narrow minded Bastards. He went to the MCTC for a couple of weeks was dekitted and bounced. No doubt he is now an old academic at an old Poly lecturing in social justice.
He was a nightmare to watch at the Depot in the lead up to the CM, and for the night before he was in the Depot Guard room which was an experience for the Jocks!
So was he nuts , or what ?
What made him flip ?

Dick O'Connor and Carton de Wiart went under the wire from their POW Camp together with what seemed to be most of the captured General Staff in The Middle East, and were on the run in Italy for 8 days, Neame as an ex Sapper was involved in the deign of the tunnel.
I will forever ask how did someone with one eye and one hand remain OTR for that length of time!
Apparently, that was why the Carabinieri had no real problems finding him - just told the local villagers to be on the look out for an elderly tall English gentleman, with one eye, one hand, not a word of Italian, but a vocabulary of the vilest Anglo-Saxon obscenities. Either on that occasion or another, two Kiwi brigadiers - probably quite a bit younger and with less bits missing - did make a successful home run to Switzerland.

So was he nuts , or what ?
What made him flip ?
He fell out with his OC at Bridge of Don Depot and had a **** it moment. Once on the run he rather enjoyed it, and spent to long in Goa and the other hippy dwellings and went native till he got board and realised he had to face the music.
Obviously as an Officer he lived in the Depot Mess till his case came up so brought his dubious habits back with him. The whiff of finest Moroccan regularly crept down stairs to the Anti Room during morning coffee, so we smoked a lot of Marlboro to try and mask it!

That has echos of another chap in the Middle East who murdered a Palestinian lad and on another occasion crasheshed a car while a serving officer killing has General in the process. Buggered if I can remember his name.

Apparently, that was why the Carabinieri had no real problems finding him - just told the local villagers to be on the look out for an elderly tall English gentleman, with one eye, one hand, not a word of Italian, but a vocabulary of the vilest Anglo-Saxon obscenities. Either on that occasion or another, two Kiwi brigadiers - probably quite a bit younger and with less bits missing - did make a successful home run to Switzerland.
I have his book 'Happy Odyssey' in paper back printed in 1955 and very well read, it's a wonderful ripping yarn!

That has echos of another chap in the Middle East who murdered a Palestinian lad and on another occasion crasheshed a car while a serving officer killing has General in the process. Buggered if I can remember his name.
That would be Patrick Leigh Fermor, ex SOE from Cairo who captured a German General in Crete.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

I've witnessed a couple of fights between officers, they often didn't last very long and nobody would have ever entertained the idea of the ROS or Guard getting involved.

Absolutely not their business.

I've witnessed a couple of fights between officers, they often didn't last very long and nobody would have ever entertained the idea of the ROS or Guard getting involved.

Absolutely not their business.

Do you extend that to fights between ORs?

Yeah thats being covered before on here, personally I think it was just a shit excuse for officrrd to not risk getting hurt.
Serve to lead and all that.

Latest Threads