Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

How do you achieve that in a public court system?
The same way you do for victims of sexual assault, blackmail, witnesses and children.

Forget the false groping...he should be in MCTC for drinking Strongbow Fruit Cider! But agree with others, married as well and has been dragged through the courts because some Doris got pissed and falsley accused him.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
How do you achieve that in a public court system?
Same way they ensure the 'victim' is not named - make it contempt of court to publish. Are you really that naive that you think the accuser is not named because the media is being nice?

Forget the false groping...he should be in MCTC for drinking Strongbow Fruit Cider! But agree with others, married as well and has been dragged through the courts because some Doris got pissed and falsley accused him.

A not guilty verdict doesnt mean that happened.

Alamo

LE
Same way they ensure the 'victim' is not named - make it contempt of court to publish. Are you really that naive that you think the accuser is not named because the media is being nice?
My mother was a Crown Court judge’s clerk, I understand how they work. Are you suggesting there should be closed courts for sexual offences? (I don’t have an agenda either way, I just want to know how you think names will be restricted). I agree you may be achieve that whilst the case is under investigation (possibly to the detriment of the case).

A not guilty verdict doesnt mean that happened.
True and lets hope his missus is not thinking every 2 mins "no smoke without fire", especially if it never actually happened.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My mother was a Crown Court judge’s clerk, I understand how they work. Are you suggesting there should be closed courts for sexual offences? (I don’t have an agenda either way, I just want to know how you think names will be restricted). I agree you may be achieve that whilst the case is under investigation (possibly to the detriment of the case).
How can withholding one side's identity while giving anonymity to the other be detrimental to the case? Genuine question as it seems a bit of a lop-sided argument to me.

How can withholding one side's identity while giving anonymity to the other be detrimental to the case? Genuine question as it seems a bit of a lop-sided argument to me.

In the case of nonces, it may stop other victims coming forward.

Alamo

LE
For example, police/CPS often look for other victims to come forward; a good example being the case of youth football coaches abusing young players.

But agree with others, married as well and has been dragged through the courts because some Doris got pissed and falsley accused him.
We do not know if the allegations were false. However, what we do know is that there was not enough evidence to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the offence has been committed; accordingly, in this Country the Accused are found ‘not guilty’ and not found ‘innocent’.

Just to add, I too believe that the defendants’ anonymity should be preserved in cases such as this, until a Guilty verdict is reached.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
For example, police/CPS often look for other victims to come forward; a good example being the case of youth football coaches abusing young players.
I see. Fully understand now - guilty until proven innocent! Is this the way forward? I don't think so.

I see. Fully understand now - guilty until proven innocent! Is this the way forward? I don't think so.
Considering the norm for criminal cases is not for anonymity, do you think all those cases are guilty until proven innocent?

Last edited:
We do not know if the allegations were false. However, what we do know is that there was not enough evidence to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the offence has been committed; accordingly, in this Country the Accused are found ‘not guilty’ and not found ‘innocent’.

Just to add, I too believe that the defendants’ anonymity should be preserved in cases such as this, until a Guilty verdict is reached.
Agreed although I believe the accuser's anonymity should also be preserved in perpetuity.
It's a concept that not everyone grasps, but a Not Guilty verdict does not indicate that the accuser is lying.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Considering the norm for criminal cases is not for anonymity, do you think all those cases are quilts until proven innocent?
They should be if we are looking for a fair and unbiased justice system. If you any party to the case wishes to make themselves known then that should be allowed also.

Mind you, can't beat a bit of trial by media.

They should be if we are looking for a fair and unbiased justice system. If you any party to the case wishes to make themselves known then that should be allowed also.

Mind you, can't beat a bit of trial by media.

You think all cases are guilty until proven innocent or all cases should be anonymous?

Accused are found ‘not guilty’ and not found ‘innocent’.
An accused enters a court as innocent (presumption of innocence), throughout the trial they remain innocent and it is the job of the prosecution to overturn this by proving guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. If prosecution do not prove guilt then the judgement of the court is Not Guilty, thus maintaining the innocence of the defendant and removing any allegation from them.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
An accused enters a court as innocent (presumption of innocence), throughout the trial they remain innocent and it is the job of the prosecution to overturn this by proving guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. If prosecution do not prove guilt then the judgement of the court is Not Guilty, thus maintaining the innocence of the defendant and removing any allegation from them.
The theory is good, just not being practiced! :(

Latest Threads