Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

I didn't imagine it, I cant find any info on it being changed since the early 90's.
Any crabs know if the FSgt rank has been down graded by NATO?
Flight Sergeants have never been OR-8, though they'll often try and convince you otherwise!
The RAF have no rank equivalent to OR-8 having binned WO2 (I believe) at the start of WW2.
Flight Sergeant is and always was equivalent to Staff or Colour Sergeant (and Navy equivalent).
Always good for a wind up in joint messes though.

Flight Sergeants have never been OR-8, though they'll often try and convince you otherwise!
The RAF have no rank equivalent to OR-8 having binned WO2 (I believe) at the start of WW2.
Flight Sergeant is and always was equivalent to Staff or Colour Sergeant (and Navy equivalent).
Always good for a wind up in joint messes though.
I may have been pissed but the thumper definitely thought he had rank equiilancy.

Yes, of course - I was simply pissing on the implied chips that the RAF have a straightforward rank structure. They don't - it is as dependent upon branch as the Army is on Regiment. There's just a lot more Army to go round :)
Translate it into NATO OR grades and it's a lot simpler. I was going to riff on the theme that more intellectual services can deal with more complex rank structures... then remembered the absolute byzantine system of sqn cpl majors, bashi-bazouks, havildars etc that the Brown jobs rely on, as well as the heresy-level debate over the relative seniority of Conductors versus the London GSM. So if even pongoes can manage with that old bollocks they must find it immensely easy to understand Crab ranks.

Not quite. There is no Cpls' mess. All NCOs are members of the same mess.
I recall being told that in the British Army (regardless of Guards, Cav, etc) there are no Cpl's Messes only Cpl's Clubs.

Small apologies for drift.

And also there is no rank of L/Cpl it is LCpl and in 1966 it ceased being WOII and officially became WO2.

Wrong thread?

I recall being told that in the British Army (regardless of Guards, Cav, etc) there are no Cpl's Messes only Cpl's Clubs.

I think its a case of Cpl Messes aren't officially recognised by the Army (so they get **** all military funding). But people are free to call it what they like.

I recall being told that in the British Army (regardless of Guards, Cav, etc) there are no Cpl's Messes only Cpl's.
One can only assume that if you have no Sergeants (HCR), they’d call the SNCOs Mess the Corporals’ Mess? Probably piss you off if you were an attached arm Sgt?

Last edited:
D

Deleted 59779

Not quite. There is no Cpls' mess. All NCOs are members of the same mess.
Quite correct, it is the Warrant Officers and NCOs Mess referred to informally as the Corporals Mess by some as every member is a Corporal of some sort. Much the same as WOs and SNCOs messes being referred to as the Sergeants Mess.

Quite correct, it is the Warrant Officers and NCOs Mess referred to informally as the Corporals Mess by some as every member is a Corporal of some sort. Much the same as WOs and SNCOs messes being referred to as the Sergeants Mess.
Well I never heard it called that but I can see the logic. Incidentally, this was a Life Guard tradition adopted by HCR on the union in 1994. The Blues and Royals LCpls previously were not members of the mess but LCoH (Cpls in the other bit of the army) were.

Important to note that then word "uniform" is a collective noun given to an extensive dressing up box that users can select from at random.

As opposed to "uniform" meaning "all the same"
I remember the Military Attache Moscow reporting gleefully the terminal confusion caused to a bunch of Russian tank officers when, during the halcyon days of the Yeltsin era, they were hosted at the Bovington mess and they witnessed at first hand the sartorial array of variations in an armoured force that may have had fewer tanks than a single eastern bloc brigade, but a damn sight more "uniforms" than the entire Russian military.

Last edited:

QRK2

LE

And also there is no rank of L/Cpl it is LCpl and in 1966 it ceased being WOII and officially became WO2.

Wrong thread?

Well, if you are going to be pedantic, there would only be Cpl's Messes and Cpl's Clubs in a very small unit, otherwise they would be Cpls' Messes and Cpls' Clubs.

D

Deleted 59779

Well I never heard it called that but I can see the logic. Incidentally, this was a Life Guard tradition adopted by HCR on the union in 1994. The Blues and Royals LCpls previously were not members of the mess but LCoH (Cpls in the other bit of the army) were.
I have to admit I heard the reference at HCMR not HCR

Wasn't there a weird thing in the Blues and Royals where a LCOH (Cpl) wore three stripes and a crown and so was called 'Staff' by the rest of the Army, not realising he was only the equivelent to a Corporal?

Wasn't there a weird thing in the Blues and Royals where a LCOH (Cpl) wore three stripes and a crown and so was called 'Staff' by the rest of the Army, not realising he was only the equivelent to a Corporal?

Does ring a bell. Also the Queens Royal Hussars who's lance jacks wear 2 stripes and the full screws wear 2 stripes but in a different colour.