Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Surely all this nonsense about sashes on/off, different names for the same rank rank, and status of attachments should be in the the ‘changing the army - how?’ Strikes me that if you can’t line-up basic shit like that you’re on a hiding to nothing at the strategic level.
Would it make a difference to the running of the army if it was binned?
The RSM was dressed in lederhosen and still shit himself.

RAPTC bloke is wearing a sash

RAPTC is one of a very small group of infantry-descended corps who are granted the dress distinction of wearing the Infantry Sergeants' Sash. Others include the Small Arms School Corps and the Special Air Service. So he's wearing it, as is the RRF Sgt next to him, as part of his uniform.
This is quite different from the intra-unit wearing of a sash by NAAFI cowboys (as was), orderly Sgts/Cpls, drill Sgts and so on.

At least the Household Cavalry no longer go for the "Corporal and Lieutenant", "Captain and Colonel", fun of the 17th and early 18th centuries, where an individual had his rank within the horse guards troop, and within the rest of the army...
And to add a little more madness to the Household Div thing, full corporals ifrom the RCAM serving in the Guards Bands are LSgts.

Ursus Major

War Hero
Surely he would wear his own regiment's rank, otherwise the REME, AGC, RLC etc attached would also be wearing three tapes, and lancejacks wearing two. Pretty sure they don't. A REME Cpl is a REME Cpl, not a Bdr if he's with an Arty regt.
It’s called the British Army, it’s not worth trying to work it out…

Truxx

LE
Yes, of course - I was simply pissing on the implied chips that the RAF have a straightforward rank structure. They don't - it is as dependent upon branch as the Army is on Regiment. There's just a lot more Army to go round :)
As far as I could ever see rank was superfluous as they were all on first name terms

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It’s called the British Army, it’s not worth trying to work it out…
Is he going to try and work out British army ranks first or try to work out where the word "uniform" fits in the British Army lexicon?

Remember either a lance jack or full screw at depot RCT holding troop admin office phone up one of the mounted units and called the CoH mate when he answered the phone with his rank could hear the shouty man outside the office, At that point I sussed a CoH isn't to be called mate.

Truxx

LE
Is he going to try and work out British army ranks first or try to work out where the word "uniform" fits in the British Army lexicon?
Important to note that then word "uniform" is a collective noun given to an extensive dressing up box that users can select from at random.

As opposed to "uniform" meaning "all the same"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Important to note that then word "uniform" is a collective noun given to an extensive dressing up box that users can select from at random.

As opposed to "uniform" meaning "all the same"
Don't forget the selection of dogs, office, for sh!ting in, available.

As a WO2 in a NATO HQ, I was gleefully informed, without invitation, by a Flight Sergeant that we were equivalent in rank. (I knew that we were both OR 8 as far as NATO were concerned.) "Grand" says I, "When did you get your warrant?"
Much hilarity ensued as he walked away in a mumbling huff, I presumed he went away to find it and he's still looking because he never came back.

As a WO2 in a NATO HQ, I was gleefully informed, without invitation, by a Flight Sergeant that we were equivalent in rank. (I knew that we were both OR 8 as far as NATO were concerned.) "Grand" says I, "When did you get your warrant?"
Much hilarity ensued as he walked away in a mumbling huff, I presumed he went away to find it and he's still looking because he never came back.

Playing with fire there mate, if he got his next promotion before you did...

I made a point of upsetting the crabs at every opportunity and no, he was about 80 years old or so it seemed, so I think it was safe to say that he'd reached his ceiling altitude.

I'd forgotten the age thing - they could (can?) serve to 55 so getting FS rank at 45 wasn't terribly unusual. In my Corps (at least in my time), we had a rank gate at 11 years' man service. You couldn't be promoted WO2 until you had 11 years under your belt, and a flier of a Yeoman or Foreman could just make WO2 before their 30th birthday.

I'd forgotten the age thing - they could (can?) serve to 55 so getting FS rank at 45 wasn't terribly unusual. In my Corps (at least in my time), we had a rank gate at 11 years' man service. You couldn't be promoted WO2 until you had 11 years under your belt, and a flier of a Yeoman or Foreman could just make WO2 before their 30th birthday.
I was literally sacked at 40 as a WO1. I look back and think, thank feck I didn't fall for the lure of a commission as at 41 I was still very employable in the big wide well paying world. At 55 I'd have stood no chance.

As a WO2 in a NATO HQ, I was gleefully informed, without invitation, by a Flight Sergeant that we were equivalent in rank. (I knew that we were both OR 8 as far as NATO were concerned.)
NATO says he's an OR 7