Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Aquavite

War Hero
The first time I was struck unexpectedly whilst serving was, believe if it not, by the full Colonel Doctor at Sandbags.
I’d gone sick with ‘flu, or some such, along with pretty much everyone else in the intake, before you lot all start chiming in with, ‘you poof’ etc. As I walked in to his cell, he dropped the thermometer on the floor, picked it up and said, ‘pop that under your tongue’. I rejoined with a, ‘don’t you think you should wash that’ and he stood up and slapped me round to the mush! We stood and stared at each other for a split second; in fairness, a look of panic did cross his face whilst I was quickly weighing up my options: deciding not to punch him out through his window, I replaced my beret, saluted and marched back to the lines and, until now, have never mentioned it.
During the 10km speed march along the Roman road during P Coy I had major pains in my hips, which worried me as I'd had Perthes disease as a kid. During a water stop I reported to the medic, a lance jack from para reg and was promptly head butted for bothering him.
I could relate probably 10 or more instances of physical abuse on myself and other soldiers during that course. I was 17, average age of the DS was mid 30s.
I'm of the opinion it was a product of its time, sort of accepted because that's what we were used to (ex junior leaders) and the DS were mental Falkland veterans.

During the 10km speed march along the Roman road during P Coy I had major pains in my hips, which worried me as I'd had Perthes disease as a kid. During a water stop I reported to the medic, a lance jack from para reg and was promptly head butted for bothering him.
I could relate probably 10 or more instances of physical abuse on myself and other soldiers during that course. I was 17, average age of the DS was mid 30s.
I'm of the opinion it was a product of its time, sort of accepted because that's what we were used to (ex junior leaders) and the DS were mental Falkland veterans.
The thing is the mental Falkland veterans were the product of their predecessors who were utter nutters and relics of NI, Aden etc. The DS at all training establishments had a task of turning civvies into soldiers and that in those far of days involved breaking people (well moulding, but break if need be!) to make them into soldiers. Things could have been very different, but that's what soldiers/sailors have been saying since they first formed three ranks.
Remember poor old Sharpie had a pretty miserable time as well, those depots back in the 1790s were pretty brutal to say the least.

The thing is the mental Falkland veterans were the product of their predecessors who were utter nutters and relics of NI, Aden etc. The DS at all training establishments had a task of turning civvies into soldiers and that in those far of days involved breaking people (well moulding, but break if need be!) to make them into soldiers. Things could have been very different, but that's what soldiers/sailors have been saying since they first formed three ranks.
Remember poor old Sharpie had a pretty miserable time as well, those depots back in the 1790s were pretty brutal to say the least.

We had a Falklands Vet Trg NCO, a more odious, thieving, bullying creature you couldn’t wish to meet. Being a Falklands vet doesn’t automatically equal good egg and I was delighted when I heard he had been bust and posted out Of Trg.

I have mentioned this on here before. I have met thousands of people over the last 39 years of service and can’t remember most of them. I recall with absolute clarity the 3 people who bullied me and each incident.

Bullies and bullying are corrosive to any team, unit or organisation and should never be tolerated, ever and especially not in a recruit training environment. It’s not character building and it never makes an individual a better soldier. It creates fear, resentment and diminishes respect in the bully and the organisation that allows it.

I have seen a huge evolution in training since 1983 and I can happily say that our young soldiers are every bit as capable as those of the past and have consistently proven themselves on Ops. Different but no worse than the roughy toughies of the past.

Truxx

LE
We had a Falklands Vet Trg NCO, a more odious, thieving, bullying creature you couldn’t wish to meet. Being a Falklands vet doesn’t automatically equal good egg and I was delighted when I heard he had been bust and posted out Of Trg.

I have mentioned this on here before. I have met thousands of people over the last 39 years of service and can’t remember most of them. I recall with absolute clarity the 3 people who bullied me and each incident.

Bullies and bullying are corrosive to any team, unit or organisation and should never be tolerated, ever and especially not in a recruit training environment. It’s not character building and it never makes an individual a better soldier. It creates fear, resentment and diminishes respect in the bully and the organisation that allows it.

I have seen a huge evolution in training since 1983 and I can happily say that our young soldiers are every bit as capable as those of the past and have consistently proven themselves on Ops. Different but no worse than the roughy toughies of the past.
Here here.

Just to bring this thread full circle, I can confirm that Nick has been seen in the village and in the Old Ox Inn.
He told the landlord he'd been away!

We had a Falklands Vet Trg NCO, a more odious, thieving, bullying creature you couldn’t wish to meet

You mean a Scouser?

Alcohol - tick
'Inappropriate behaviour'- tick

• Sources claim there is a 'huge under-the-table inquiry going on' into the team
An 'under the table inquiry'? Is that an RAF ism? Never heard that one before.

It is clearly Crab subterfuge.

They are sneaking a non white pilot back for the Top Gun 2 premier

That made me think, my time in service is considerably less than yours but my memory is permanently marred by my negative experiences. Good times aplenty but they take some triggering.

Was he Irish? If so, he was a bit of a card.
I can’t honestly recall; I just remember him as a fairly rotund white haired angry old man with a drinker’s ruddy countenance. The sad thing is that I’m probably older now than he was then…….

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I can’t honestly recall; I just remember him as a fairly rotund white haired angry old man with a drinker’s ruddy countenance. The sad thing is that I’m probably older now than he was then…….
Which year?

FEASG

LE
3 medals per Bn in 1977, no money. My mob went for CO, RSM and the most junior Pte.
5 years before my time, but my Bn went for the same approach I believe. But from looking at the association FB pages. You would think that half the bn had been issued them and it appears the same thing is happening for the Gold and Dimond ones. Napoleon was spot on about bits of ribbon.

FEASG

LE
3 medals per Bn in 1977, no money. My mob went for CO, RSM and the most junior Pte.
5 years before my time, but my Bn went for the same approach I believe. But from looking at the association FB pages. You would think that half the bn had been issued them and it appears the same thing is happening for the Gold and Dimond ones. Napoleon was spot on about bits of ribbon.
outside of a legal frame work, just who decides who deserves what ^~
The Jungle of course.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

The Jungle of course.
I understand everybody got the latter two medals. Less money around in 1977.

Latest Threads