Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

At the end of the day, the Defence has to prove nothing. It is up to the Prosecution to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. The Defendant is not compelled to go in the box and give evidence. Unless their case is water tight and the rules for CEA are clear and unambiguous, a good defence brief will rip them to shreds.
The rules for CEA are very tight mainly because of past abuses of the system. There is almost no flexibility. The article - not surprisingly - does not make sense, and I am very surprised that the DM has comments open on a court case that is under way.

That goes without saying. What I find interesting in this case is that he hasn't been given the opportunity to make restitution with some compound interest slapped on top. Someone is clearly determined to send a message.
That would only be the case if there was no evidence of fraud. The rules on CEA are very clear and each claimant undergoes a governance review before they can claim. The details of the cae haven't been published yet.

That would only be the case if there was no evidence of fraud. The rules on CEA are very clear and each claimant undergoes a governance review before they can claim. The details of the cae haven't been published yet.
It is perfectly possible offer an individual repayment terms as an alternative to prosecution and this is frequently done by OGDs. HMRC, for example, start their compound interest rate at 60%, which decreases in exchange for full co-operation and prompt repayment.

Euclid

War Hero
A few years older than me but I recall him being a good chap.

But strange that senior offices can get their heads around the complexity of commanding an armd bde, or joint operations in Afghanistan, yet can create so much uncertainty as to the veracity of a CEA claim.

Carter must be spitting blood that it’s a member of the Rifles Master Race that is now in the frame. K

That goes without saying. What I find interesting in this case is that he hasn't been given the opportunity to make restitution with some compound interest slapped on top. Someone is clearly determined to send a message.
Sending a message - ‘Oi Rupert, don’t sign off on one of the ‘good chaps’ dodgy CEA claims - this shall happen’.

how many more cases of institutional ripping the arse out of CEA do we need exposed before it’s finally culled?

Euclid

War Hero
Sending a message - ‘Oi Rupert, don’t sign off on one of the ‘good chaps’ dodgy CEA claims - this shall happen’.

how many more cases of institutional ripping the arse out of CEA do we need exposed before it’s finally culled?
I suspect it will go into a rapid spiral of decline in the next budget.

Little reason for this particular tax-payer funded lifestyle support allowance these days. I wouldn’t be holding my breath about getting 6th form fees paid in the future in respect of any children who are about to enter year 10 or below.

I suspect it will go into a rapid spiral of decline in the next budget.

Little reason for this particular tax-payer funded lifestyle support allowance these days. I wouldn’t be holding my breath about getting 6th form fees paid in the future in respect of any children who are about to enter year 10 or below.
Given that the public finances are adrift by c.£40b., that gap will have to be closed by a combination of budget cuts and tax rises. In these circumstances, CEA is indefensible.

Not many more, I would suggest; this will be the proverbial straw which breaks the camels' back.
smacks of a public show trial pour encourage les hard of learning autres, and providing a Cassus belli for ending it.

smacks of a public show trial pour encourage les hard of learning autres, and providing a Cassus belli for ending it.
When you have a 2* allegedly abusing the system, then something has to change. He is on north of c.£112k (top band 1* pay), so he surely must have been able to afford the school fees?

Last edited:
When you have a 2* allegedly abusing the system, then something has to change. He is on north of c.£112k (top ban 1* pay), so he surely must have been able to afford the school fees?
Like so much fraud, they do it because they can, and because it’s seen as a privilege of their position, not because they need to.

See the Company Director who calls the police on a worker who takes a couple of pens, then gets the maintenance department to refit his houses bathroom and charges it all to the firms account. It’s only fraud when the little people do it.

When you have a 2* allegedly abusing the system, then something has to change. He is on north of c.£112k (top ban 1* pay), so he surely must have been able to afford the school fees?
If he had a valid job related reason to send his kid to a boarding school why should he pay for it himself just because he earns a certain amount?

Euclid

War Hero
Not at all, and there in lies the issue. To put a child through public school costs c£40k in fees pa. For a top rate tax payer that is £75k pa of taxable income.

A 1* with three children at boarding school would need a civvy salary of £250kpa to match what he gets from the Army. Not even taking into account the value of the pension. Few 1*s I know could command anything near that in civvy street.

Not at all, and there in lies the issue. To put a child through public school costs c£40k in fees pa.
There are plenty of schools cheaper than that, I put up a link to some the last time people on here were trying to justify why the MOD should fund their children's expensive education.

Like so much fraud, they do it because they can, and because it’s seen as a privilege of their position, not because they need to.

See the Company Director who calls the police on a worker who takes a couple of pens, then gets the maintenance department to refit his houses bathroom and charges it all to the firms account. It’s only fraud when the little people do it.
The most crooked person that I ever worked with was a Customs colleague; Heathrow Terminal 4 was his happy hunting ground and he used to regularly shake down the cleaners first thing in the morning, recover change from vending machines, help himself to multiple free newspapers from the airline lounges to collect discount codes, etc. and 'acquire' first class complementary travel kits for sale online. Put it this way, he was able to retire at 55 on a reduce pension with no effective loss of income thanks to his entrepreneurship. He was 'protected' too, so there was no point bubbling him.

Euclid

War Hero
There are plenty of schools cheaper than that, I put up a link to some the last time people on here were trying to justify why the MOD should fund their children's expensive education.
There are - I agree and there are state boarding schools as well. But it’s the top tier public schools that are the preferred choice.

Latest Threads