Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Well so much for the RD rosta, but I don’t think that was universally true :)
My wife's uncle believed it and I have heard the question asked by others. I guess it's one of those myths that do the rounds in any society. On the other hand, my wife's uncle also believed that BFG and USAREUR were funded by German taxpayers. He wasn't very bright.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
My wife's uncle believed it and I have heard the question asked by others. I guess it's one of those myths that do the rounds in any society. On the other hand, my wife's uncle also believed that BFG and USAREUR were funded by German taxpayers. He wasn't very bright.
The Berlin budget with all its extras was funded by the West German taxpayer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've heard from Germans that many of them believed that BAOR was manned by convicts working off their debt to society.
It was, but it was the German population, not the British soldier, little angels that we all were!

I've heard from Germans that many of them believed that BAOR was manned by convicts working off their debt to society.
After seeing and hearing of what some of the lads got up to when out on the lash, its quite easy to understand the boxheads train of thought. Pinching civvie wheels to get back to camp, raiding farm out buildings for food when on escape and evasion exercises, trashing pubs, mixing it with "Guest arbiters" and the local anti British Germans, Etc Etc.....and when questioned " Well you started it, its the price you pay for starting two world wars" or words to that effect, with a few well chosen Anglo Saxon expletives thrown in :salut: o_O :eek:

After seeing and hearing of what some of the lads got up to when out on the lash, its quite easy to understand the boxheads train of thought. Pinching civvie wheels to get back to camp, raiding farm out buildings for food when on escape and evasion exercises, trashing pubs, mixing it with "Guest arbiters" and the local anti British Germans, Etc Etc.....and when questioned " Well you started it, its the price you pay for starting two world wars" or words to that effect, with a few well chosen Anglo Saxon expletives thrown in :salut: o_O :eek:

Jesus Christ on a bike. At least I am grateful that you changed your username to make it less obvious that we were in the same Corps. However…

There is a world of difference between an arbiter and an “Arbeiter”, which is what you meant to say. An arbiter judges a situation, the outcome of which is usually far-reaching. Take, for example, the topical subject of the DofY’s propriety.

“Mum, I‘m sure this will blow over and cause no damage to the Monarchy”.
”I shall be the arbiter of that”
”GTFO and leave your appointments and HRH title“

It’s possibly no surprise then that hordes of Turkish guest workers were “Gastarbeitern” rather than “Guest Arbiters”. The mind boggles. Turkish ACAS, perhaps?

Anything we may have done in BAOR certainly pales into insignificance compared to what Uncle Fritzi and his pals got up to in '41 when they went east.*

* Other compass points both available and applicable.

This sounds implausible, but I assure you it’s genuine.

I had a new neighbour, about 15 years ago, he had an Engineering degree and was training to be a solicitor.

We had a chat over the fence one day, and he said.

“My OH tells me you used to be in the Army, so what had you done?”

“I’m sorry, you’ve lost me. What do you mean what had I done?”

“You know, to get sent into the Army, what had you done?”

He was totally unaware that you could join up willingly.

I don't know whether to give that post a Like, Informative, or Funny.

As an aside (and based purely on my own observations) I reckon 80% plus of the lads I served with had committed at least a couple of indictable offences as civilians, for which they had not been caught.

That doesn't seem to be a bar these days.

I think they relaxed the rules during the numbers crunch in the 90s.

I have mixed feelings about recruiting ex-offenders. I believe strongly in giving (most) people a fresh start if they go straight. The problem is that I wouldn't trust the Army to recruit wisely from that particular demographic.

The answer might be a challenging pre-recruitment course with an emphasis on citizenship and Op Raleigh style leadership. It would be cost effective if it selects a pool of capable recruits.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor