Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And you know that how?
In my experience of observing people and of relatives and friends anyone who gets into a senior position works their bollox off. They may also ‘play hard’ but mostly it’s work.

That goes for military, business, politics etc. People bang on about how much MPs get paid. I bet very few of them would ever be prepared to work as hard as they do in the conditions they work. Same with VSOs. They have very few free moments in their diaries - and neither do their MAs and other wonks.

Alamo

LE
In my experience of observing people and of relatives and friends anyone who gets into a senior position works their bollox off. They may also ‘play hard’ but mostly it’s work.

That goes for military, business, politics etc. People bang on about how much MPs get paid. I bet very few of them would ever be prepared to work as hard as they do in the conditions they work. Same with VSOs. They have very few free moments in their diaries - and neither do their MAs and other wonks.
Agreed, my tour as an ADC was a real eye opener.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer

You ever worked for the NHS, too many people promoted for who they know not what they know also far too many moved sideways when it all goes wrong. Just look at all the care scandals back to the 70s, only one person has ever gone to prison, the butcher Patterson now doing time. The rest have walked away from their responsibilities.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You ever worked for the NHS, too many people promoted for who they know not what they know also far too many moved sideways when it all goes wrong. Just look at all the care scandals back to the 70s, only one person has ever gone to prison, the butcher Patterson now doing time. The rest have walked away from their responsibilities.
I haven’t but I know a lot of people who do. Those in senior positions do work very hard although I don’t think they would dispute what you say about some of their colleagues.

One of the issues in the NHS - from what I’ve been told - is that there are a lot of vested interests and a lot of stakeholders with influence that don’t want to change things which work comfortably for them.

conjurer

Old-Salt
But can he command, and would he be trusted to take a regiment into battle?
Swift was commissioned in to the Royal Regiment of Wales on 1 September 1989. He served as commanding officer of the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Welsh during the Iraq War, for which he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire(OBE) on 25 July 2008. He became Commander of the 20th Armoured Brigade in May 2012.

Swift was appointed Director of Strategy in March 2016;[5] the post was re-titled as Assistant Chief of the General Staff in September 2018. He became General Officer Commanding the 3rd (United Kingdom) Division in November 2018. It was announced on 30 January 2020 that Swift would become Chief of Defence People(CDP), succeeding Lieutenant General Richard Nugee in late February 2020. Swift was promoted to lieutenant general on 27 February 2020.

. Same with VSOs. They have very few free moments in their diaries - and neither do their MAs and other wonks.
I wonder if that's part of the problem. They've got to the top by working stupid hours and now haven't the practice in taking a condor moment to see if they are actually driving the organisation in the right strategic direction.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I wonder if that's part of the problem. They've got to the top by working stupid hours and now haven't the practice in taking a condor moment to see if they are actually driving the organisation in the right strategic direction.
The subject of my late wife's posthumous PhD.

There isn't a quota. You like chasing your own tail and it is funny to watch.

These because you are a ex officer who thinks he's been really clever with words , when everyone knows you are just being a bit of stupid ****.

Senior officer "Let's have a quota of 15%"
Other senior officer "Quotas are a bit controversial"
First senior officer "Let's say target, instead"
Other senior officer "Capital idea, say the same thing but differently"

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These because you are a ex officer who thinks he's been really clever with words , when everyone knows you are just being a bit of stupid ****.

I disagree with you; there is a difference and it’s more than semantics. The problem is when when people don’t understand the difference and treat the target like a quota.

Apart from the slap around the back of the head for “Condor moment”, completely agree.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

You're wrong, again.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Words. Clever little things. One day you may understand them.