Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

FEASG

LE
Odd medal between Telic and Nato one.

His tailor must have mucked up as a foreign medal it should have been put right at the end. They stopped issuing it a year before the NATO one came out so it was probably in the right place until he got the Iraq medal and who ever did his gongs just added to the line as if it were a UK medal. Must be quite rare as I don't know how many people would have been out on the BMATT in 1994.

His tailor must have mucked up as a foreign medal it should have been put right at the end. They stopped issuing it a year before the NATO one came out so it was probably in the right place until he got the Iraq medal and who ever did his gongs just added to the line as if it were a UK medal. Must be quite rare as I don't know how many people would have been out on the BMATT in 1994.

I looked at that one but the front star looked bigger. Good call though.

I was curious so looked here

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, now that smoking is taboo on all MoD property, they will be able to move towards banning alcohol from barracks and Messes.

Well, now that smoking is taboo on all MoD property, they will be able to move towards banning alcohol from barracks and Messes.

The attitude towards alcohol has shifted significantly over the years, but I suspect you are right: the routine issuing of alcohol will probably disappear.

One of the things that causes the problem is that we daily issue alcohol fully aware that it is being stockpiled ready for a “mess party”. Of course, the drawback about restricting alcohol is that it can drive a tendency to massive binge drinking on those occasions they are allowed alcohol*.

Education is key here, as is taking things a little more seriously when people get drunk: instead of letting people drink to oblivion, close the bars or take the beer off them when we’re supposed too IAW standing orders.

I imagine there will be lots of bitching about this.

*full disclosure, I don’t drink at sea at all, and in the last 5 years have rarely drunk onboard either.

Poor old Navy... I remember when they had rum, bum, and baccy...now they only have bum...a bugger (pardon the pun) for the odd straight matelot.

Not even if you had to share with a manc?

Joking aside, there are several instances where soldiers dont want to live together, particularly if one is a higher rank than the other and they dont get one.

If you didnt get on with someone at work, would you want to live in the same house/flat as them for years?

Some regiments dont even have a junior ranks bar.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some regiments dont even have a junior ranks bar.
Instead we have seen the rise of pre-loading in SLA and block parties. Who can blame them. The contractors that run JRC think they are competing with high end bars and price accordingly.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Instead we have seen the rise of pre-loading in SLA and block parties. Who can blame them. The contractors that run JRC think they are competing with high end bars and price accordingly.

From what I saw, these also seem to be in decline, even when the bars in Germany were selling tax free ale, we still had block parties as juniors, but mainly because there was **** all else to do except drink.

Before I left, there seemed to be a half arsed block party every few months on a camp that didnt have a junior ranks bar, whereas Gutersloh used to have multiple parties, in multiple blocks every weekend despite having multiple cheap bars.

Different times.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
From what I saw, these also seem to be in decline, even when the bars in Germany were selling tax free ale, we still had block parties as juniors, but mainly because there was **** all else to do except drink.

Before I left, there seemed to be a half arsed block party every few months on a camp that didnt have a junior ranks bar, whereas Gutersloh used to have multiple parties, in multiple blocks every weekend despite having multiple cheap bars.

Different times.
I think culture may have shifted a bit. In my youth we tended to drink beer.

Many youngsters now will drink things that would have got them beaten up even if they had been available.

I have a mental image of BSM Williams’ reaction to finding soldiers drinking pink alchopops.

Attachments

• 92139700-DD8C-4F3F-A20C-0E38F70F8D8A.jpeg
    92139700-DD8C-4F3F-A20C-0E38F70F8D8A.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 19