Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

For us Orthodox, suicides are straight to the Hot Place not passing Go and not collecting £200. We don’t do burning either, proper open coffin funerals for us…
I suspect the very dead cold body in the box really couldn't care less what happens after all life functions have ceased, what baffles me is the amount of religious bollox involved and interest taken by the clergy .personally i couldn't care less about how i am disposed of, burn, bury, carved up for medical experimentation, or minced and fed to the dogs. I do know that my NoK will do as i have asked them, burned and ashes in my garden. As i will not be around to see it, if they choose to use me as shark bait, good luck to them. As for organised religion dictating how i must be disposed of, they can all do one, its none of their frucking buisness. ;)

Ursus Major

Old-Salt
I suspect the very dead cold body in the box really couldn't care less what happens after all life functions have ceased, what baffles me is the amount of religious bollox involved and interest taken by the clergy .personally i couldn't care less about how i am disposed of, burn, bury, carved up for medical experimentation, or minced and fed to the dogs. I do know that my NoK will do as i have asked them, burned and ashes in my garden. As i will not be around to see it, if they choose to use me as shark bait, good luck to them. As for organised religion dictating how i must be disposed of, they can all do one, its none of their frucking buisness. ;)
Each to their own…

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As long as you remember that funerals are not for the dead, but for the living.

As long as you remember that funerals are not for the dead, but for the living.
I concur.

Having done 2 in the last coupla months, one sad (old age) the other tragic (outta the blue, just as he was getting his life together after a protracted divorce) I'm in no doubt of the need for a "full stop" ceremony, to draw the line under a life.

Have biiiiig doubts about the way organised religion has historically used that need to guilt-trip people into 'the faith'

No mention of lesbians bullying straight girls
Immensely 'surprising' that there's never been much Press coverage of that in recent decades, or much before. Many, many years ago I had a girlfriend at HQLF in Wilton, who was one of very few heterosexual females in the WRAC Company there. They made her life as hellish as they could, and her ambition was to get out as soon as possible. At that time, the lesbian mafia in the WRAC was such that any sort of complaint up the chain of command would be met with guffaws all the way up to the OC, and I very much doubt that there's been much change in that situation, given the social advancements in the intervening years.

I concur.

Having done 2 in the last coupla months, one sad (old age) the other tragic (outta the blue, just as he was getting his life together after a protracted divorce) I'm in no doubt of the need for a "full stop" ceremony, to draw the line under a life.

Have biiiiig doubts about the way organised religion has historically used that need to guilt-trip people into 'the faith'

Also concur. I watched Kris (Supermatelot) depart the church in his coffin and that drew a line for me. A very sad line indeed; but as his coffin exited shot, that was the last I’ll ever see of him.

I’ll make something of a pilgrimage to his grave at some point, but that’s unknown at this point.

I don’t handle deaths very well at all, so drawing a line is my way of dealing with it.

Immensely 'surprising' that there's never been much Press coverage of that in recent decades, or much before. Many, many years ago I had a girlfriend at HQLF in Wilton, who was one of very few heterosexual females in the WRAC Company there. They made her life as hellish as they could, and her ambition was to get out as soon as possible. At that time, the lesbian mafia in the WRAC was such that any sort of complaint up the chain of command would be met with guffaws all the way up to the OC, and I very much doubt that there's been much change in that situation, given the social advancements in the intervening years.
I’ve put people on warnings for same-sex bullying.

Like any type of bullying that is peer to (near) peer, It is a pernicious type, and can be very difficult to find let alone prove. It typically relies on the victim coming forward, who as you say, can be in a hellish situation.

What I find interesting is that despite the reputed numbers of lesbians in the WRAC in the 70’s/80’s that of the RMAS Pl (30 cadets or so) that Mrs 06 was a member of none have come out and the vast majority have had at least one marriage, seems the recruiters didn’t get the message.

What I find interesting is that despite the reputed numbers of lesbians in the WRAC in the 70’s/80’s that of the RMAS Pl (30 cadets or so) that Mrs 06 was a member of none have come out and the vast majority have had at least one marriage, seems the recruiters didn’t get the message.

That will be no different to the homosexual Officers* of the same period, some who also got married to hide their true sexuality.

* Not confined to Officers - I know of 2 x WO's who used the same tactic.

HE117

LE
Missed my point by a country mile.

Your post assumes 'corrupt clergy' to be in the minority.

My take is that organised religion, by its very nature, is a confidence trick.
Of course it is.. but that is not to say it did not have a purpose! Humans need to have a way of rationalising the immortal verities of life/death/taxes etc and seem to have to have a need to "believe" stuff.. religion is simply a way of channelling this.
If it is done for "good" reasons such as dietary laws to control disease (e.g. pork and shellfish) then it is probably worth supporting. The whole "chivalry" think was to control the behaviour of warriors, which the society needed, but were potentially dangerous, hence the "be kind to small children and animals" thing...

The problem, as ever, is when the reigns of such belief systems get used to serve the interests of the management rather than the wider society.. Play any system long enough and it gets gamed..!

My view is that when "being nice" is weaponised and is used to overrule "being sensible" and "being responsible" then things are going wrong.. Woo Woo logic and alternate reality are simply masks for subversion IMHO..

I’ve put people on warnings for same-sex bullying.

Like any type of bullying that is peer to (near) peer, It is a pernicious type, and can be very difficult to find let alone prove. It typically relies on the victim coming forward, who as you say, can be in a hellish situation.
Coincidentally I was chatting to a mate who was recently commanding a multi-engine squadron and had to deal with some pretty nasty 'banter' amongst the airmen aircrew towards an openly gay male Sgt. And this wasn't some 'oversensitive snowflake' - this chap had served across a number of Theatres and was an excellent tradesman. But what was interesting is that one of the AA giving the banter revealed during questioning that he was Bi - as defence against his bullying of a gay colleague.

In a thread titled Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock

We have had everything but weather time for another diversion

it was the 3rd warmest Oct since records began

Britain is bracing for a battering of strong winds and torrential rain as the remnants of US tropical storm Wanda makes its way across the Atlantic.

The Met Office has issued flood warnings for England, Scotland and Wales and warned of strong gales across northern and eastern parts of the country as the tropical storm heads towards the UK.

Today forecasters confirmed the yellow warning for wind in place for northern Scotland, including Central, Tayside and Fife, Grampian and the Highlands, would remain until 5pm.

Archie

I'm sure that everyone has a different experience. The Marlborough Club at Rheindahlen could provide you with one without much effort. I was once bottled at the disco in Guildford for trying it on with the girlfriend of a lady with tattoos and attitude; "Ye dancin'?" Crunch. Back to Aldershot.

Latest Threads