Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

The_Arrest_of_William_Joyce_lord_Haw_Haw_in_Germany_May_1945_BU6911-e1566813965247-1024x640.jpg

He didn't
Who is this fine gentleman?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I suspect that all this will do is make officers reluctant to take on any shipyard responsibilities if they are pretty much guaranteed to be found at fault for someone else's arson. It comes across as a very scattergun approach to culpability.
I was thinking something along these lines. While it can be argued that the VVSOs are supposed to command through their personality drilling down through the CoC in effect they have no real hands in responsibilities. Now will this be realised by the USN and the careers of those at the top not really affected, or is this link to responsibility for loss of a $2Billion ship be a career stopper?

The junior rate who saw smoke and dud not report it must be strange. I appreciate that she may have thought it to be steam, but steam and smoke are very different things and act differently. I am just surprised that she did not think it as smoke. As the report makes very clear, lack of proper training is a major factor.

Don't RN baby sailors have to do intense ship saving training before bring allowed on the real thing?

Anyway, a complete clusterf*ck which will take some fixing. I note in the report that the circumstances are very similar to those in a submarine some years earlier - looks like lessons were not learned.

I was thinking something along these lines. While it can be argued that the VVSOs are supposed to command through their personality drilling down through the CoC in effect they have no real hands in responsibilities. Now will this be realised by the USN and the careers of those at the top not really affected, or is this link to responsibility for loss of a $2Billion ship be a career stopper?

The junior rate who saw smoke and dud not report it must be strange. I appreciate that she may have thought it to be steam, but steam and smoke are very different things and act differently. I am just surprised that she did not think it as smoke. As the report makes very clear, lack of proper training is a major factor.

Don't RN baby sailors have to do intense ship saving training before bring allowed on the real thing?

Anyway, a complete clusterf*ck which will take some fixing. I note in the report that the circumstances are very similar to those in a submarine some years earlier - looks like lessons were not learned.
I find it hard to believe that even the thickest of sailors-soldiers-blue jobs would not report something out of the ordinary- different within their scope of knowledge, appertaining to their surroundings and job description. however minor or seemingly passive it might be. :???:

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I find it hard to believe that even the thickest of sailors-soldiers-blue jobs would not report something out of the ordinary- different within there scope of knowledge, appertaining to their surroundings and job description. however minor or seemingly passive it might be. :???:
The report made it sound like a case of 'not my job, so not my responsibility'. I may be wrong but that is how it came over to me.

The report made it sound like a case of 'not my job, so not my responsibility'. I may be wrong but that is how it came over to me.

That was the excuse (valid at the time) given from the bloke who saw the main doors on the Herald of Free Enterprise open when it left port.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Even part-time reservists have to do the Embarked Forces Sea Survival course if they're going aboard for more than a day or so, and one point hammered into you is that if you see something, report it.

Even part-time reservists have to do the Embarked Forces Sea Survival course if they're going aboard for more than a day or so, and one point hammered into you is that if you see something, report it.
When RAF Aircrew and ground crew together with AAC personnel are embarked on a carrier or assault ship what shippy type training do they have to do? RM ships detatchments in the old days had to do a shortened sailor type course at HMS Raleigh I believe. Fire fighting, damage control and abandoning ship drills.

I'm really not sure this belongs on this thread, but I can't find a better one, and the news has just reached me via skydiver jungle-drums that a late officer of the Andrew (a man with an IQ on the scale of Rutland compared to an ego on the scale of Siberia, and possessed of a total inability to engage in conversation without opening his every sentence with the first person pronoun) has just copped a 2-and-a-bit stretch for fraud to the tune of £117K.

To add to his ignominy, he didn't make the National press, but the horticultural trade rags are all over him.

I give you Commander (RN) (Ret'd) Phil Gibbs, with certainty that a sizeable cohort of BPA members of my vintage are smiling at the prospect that he will now be getting regular meals, learning new skills, and having frequent sex.

Royal Navy veteran jailed for siphoning charity cash in £117,000 Waterlooville fraud

Paging @medwaymud and @HE117

I liked this bit (from the Portsmouth News) best:

"Standing in the secure dock he said ‘please sir no’ as the sentence was handed down." :thumleft:

Last edited:
I'm really not sure this belongs on this thread, but I can't find a better one, and the news has just reached me via skydiver jungle-drums that a late officer of the Andrew (a man with an IQ on the scale of Rutland compared to an ego on the scale of Siberia, and possessed of a total inability to engage in conversation without opening his every sentence with the first person pronoun) has just copped a 2-and-a-bit stretch for fraud.

To add to his ignominy, he didn't make the National press, but the horticultural trade rags are all over him.

I give you Commander (RN) (Ret'd) Phil Gibbs, with certainty that a sizeable cohort of BPA members of my vintage are smiling at the prospect that he will now be getting regular meals, learning new skills, and having frequent sex.

Royal Navy veteran jailed for siphoning charity cash in £117,000 Waterlooville fraud

I'm really not sure this belongs on this thread, but I can't find a better one, and the news has just reached me via skydiver jungle-drums that a late officer of the Andrew (a man with an IQ on the scale of Rutland compared to an ego on the scale of Siberia, and possessed of a total inability to engage in conversation without opening his every sentence with the first person pronoun) has just copped a 2-and-a-bit stretch for fraud to the tune of £117K.

I liked this bit (from the Portsmouth News) best:

"Standing in the secure dock he said ‘please sir no’ as the sentence was handed down." :thumleft:

Holy Shit !

His nickname was Glib Phibbs 35 years ago !
He was actually quite a nice bloke - but we weren't fooled.

Holy Shit !

His nickname was Glib Phibbs 35 years ago !
He was actually quite a nice bloke - but we weren't fooled.
Nice bloke?

I was sick to death of his company within a week of meeting him at the Sennelager offrs mess.

I will add only that he makes jailbird #3 of my skydiving acquaintances. The other two were found guilty of (a) rape, and (b) illicit trafficking of firearms. They were both of them much better skydivers, much much more modest and very, very much better company, than him.

Nice bloke?

I was sick to death of his company within a week of meeting him at the Sennelager offrs mess.

I will add only that he makes jailbird #3 of my skydiving acquaintances. The other two were found guilty of (a) rape, and (b) illicit trafficking of firearms. They were both of them much better skydivers, much much more modest and very, very much better company, than him.

Ah, well - I only met him socially in a JSPC bar - which is a great leveller, I think you would agree

Edit (sotto voce "pssst ....... who was #1 & #2 ? )

Latest Threads