Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

That seems very generous and yet more cost on the taxpayer...
Payment of continuity CEA in the case of the Service person dying in service or being medically discharged, but with child in receipt of CEA and an expectation to have served for those 5 years/up to next stage of education (which for some fee paying schools, they don't have a separate 6th Form College)

Last edited:
That seems very generous and yet more cost on the taxpayer...

I think those that it applies to have probably paid their dues to the tax payer ^~

Yeah OK Mr Pedant. :) D&B simply shorthand for Disclosure and Barring Service. I could also have quoted Disclosure Scotland or Access NI. The check is conducted by organisations and companies as part of staff vetting and the result is used to inform the recruitment decision or ongoing employment decision. So the check is conducted by HR and the result is provided by the Service used and the decision made by the organisation. So yes you can 'get through' the check.
Incorrect. The check is not carried out by HR or the organisation, all HR do is allow the applicant (the individual applying for the job) to apply to the DBS for the check to be carried out by the DBS.

The applicant then produces the certificate to the organisation (who don’t get sent a copy of it, it relies on the applicant bringing it in) and the employing senior grown up risk assesses if there’s anything on it. In my organisation that’s me. We can only legally hold a photocopy of the top part of the cert, ie the bit that verifies the identity and date of issue. We can’t hold an original DBS or a copy of the body of the document, although a few organisations (CQC for one) can request the info that’s on it direct from DBS.

Incorrect. The check is not carried out by HR or the organisation, all HR do is allow the applicant (the individual applying for the job) to apply to the DBS for the check to be carried out by the DBS.
Not strictly true, although the applicant applies to DBS they are not 'allowed' to do this rather they are required to do it as part of the recruitment process which will stall if the check is not conducted. So ultimately it is an HR process and the applicant is simply the agent of that process.

It would be nice to see how he can get through a CRB otherwise known as D&B check

I would have expected that any such checks would be almost superfluous when a case involving major criminal dishonesty has already featured in the press. Simply Googling the name of an applicant would be enough to reveal all.

I feel that the matter was already known to his new employer, who, for whatever reason, has chosen to disregard it.

Last edited:
Not strictly true, although the applicant applies to DBS they are not 'allowed' to do this rather they are required to do it as part of the recruitment process which will stall if the check is not conducted. So ultimately it is an HR process and the applicant is simply the agent of that process.
No. I do this all the time for work. You’ve googled it and not understood it. ‘Allow’ is correct as it isn’t possible to apply for one without the company/organisation enabling the process and that demonstrating that a DBS check is required for the role. The ability for a person to have a check rests solely with the company or organisation. The only exception to this is for self-employed people working in situations where a DBS is required, childminders, psychotherapists etc.

The company provide the applicant with the means to do this, normally an application reference code and password or less often now the physical form.

Just to add it’s now possible to have a transferable DBS via the update service. This enables an organisation to check whether there have been any cautions or offences since a certificate was first issued, and also that a new employer doesn’t have to go through the whole process. We like them as it’s quicker/cheaper, however an organisation at some point in someone’s employment history still has to have granted permission to apply for a DBS check initially, it’s not a standalone process.

Last edited:
No. I do this all the time for work. You’ve googled it. ‘Allow’ is correct as it isn’t possible to apply for one without the company/organisation enabling the process and that demonstrating that a DBS check is required for the role. The ability for a person to have a check rests solely with the company or organisation. The only exception to this is for self-employed people working in situations where a DBS is required, childminders, psychotherapists etc.

The company provide the applicant with the means to do this, normally an application reference code and password or less often now the physical form.

Also worth pointing out that most security jobs won’t meet the criteria for a DBS check. It’s specifically for those who work with vulnerable people, not weeding out general criminality.

Some jobs also require a Children and Adults Barred list check, that’s carried out during an Enhanced check. Outside of this there’s nothing to stop an employer taking on something with as many DBS disclosures as you like.

Quick edit to add that this was introduced as CRB in the wake of Ian Huntley and the Soham murders. Previously there was only something called List 99, which didn’t work as no one shared information properly, were only carried out in the local police area (how Huntley slipped through) and took months to complete, if they ever did complete. CRB became DBS approx 10yrs ago when the barring service bit was combined with it.

Last edited:
No. I do this all the time for work. You’ve googled it and not understood it. ‘Allow’ is correct as it isn’t possible to apply for one without the company/organisation enabling the process and that demonstrating that a DBS check is required for the role. The ability for a person to have a check rests solely with the company or organisation. The only exception to this is for self-employed people working in situations where a DBS is required, childminders, psychotherapists etc.

Just to add it’s now possible to have a transferable DBS via the update service. This enables an organisation to check whether there have been any cautions or offences since a certificate was first issued, and also that a new employer doesn’t have to go through the whole process. We like them as it’s quicker/cheaper, however an organisation still has to have granted permission for to apply for a DBS check initially.
OK so you are an HR clerk who has just completely and utterly contradicted your original position and supported my position entirely.

So HR commence the process?
Then they instruct the applicant ? They do not 'allow' anything.

Watch you don't hit that wall while back pedalling so furiously.

OK so you are an HR clerk who has just completely and utterly contradicted your original position and supported my position entirely.

So HR commence the process?
Then they instruct the applicant ? They do not 'allow' anything.

Watch you don't hit that wall while back pedalling so furiously.
No, I’m a senior healthcare manager who has an HR team and oversees low hundreds of these a year. Try reading what I wrote again and attempting to understand it this time. No back pedalling going on here.

You initially claimed that it’s a check carried out by HR. It isn’t. The check is carried out by DBS. For a new standard or enhanced check HR provide the means to access the process. That’s it. The rest of the process is between DBS and the applicant and it’s up to the applicant if they want to have the check done or not (and by extension whether they want to work for us).

No, I’m a senior healthcare manager who has an HR team and oversees low hundreds of these a year. Try reading what I wrote again and attempting to understand it this time. No back pedalling going on here.

You initially claimed that it’s a check carried out by HR. It isn’t. The check is carried out by DBS. For a new standard or enhanced check HR provide the means to access the process. That’s it. The rest of the process is between DBS and the applicant and it’s up to the applicant if they want to have the check done or not (and by extension whether they want to work for us).
I think you probably need to refer yourself to your own treatment team, and post psychiatric intervention go on a basic English comprehension course.

Another at Bulford.
A British Army soldier fondled a female colleague's breasts while she slept and then claimed he had been reaching for a TV remote control, a court martial heard - You couldn't make that up!

FEASG

LE
Another at Bulford.
A British Army soldier fondled a female colleague's breasts while she slept and then claimed he had been reaching for a TV remote control, a court martial heard - You couldn't make that up!
A High risk attempt at the Waterloo Defence I think.

Allan74

Old-Salt

Especially the enhanced check, and as you say the applicant can then hand over the DBS form or end the application process.

Latest Threads