Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

if you have custody of the offspring.
Yes, a cohort who think they are above the rules (Nick Welch). And others where the world goes south for them and they try and protect their children (through fraudulent CEA)

Hence flexibility in sentencing.
It’s good to be subject to English law I’m sure you’ll agree.

As well as having custody, there is also an option for them to finish their schooling if they are in their exam years.

If the greedy **** wanted to "protect his children" he should have paid out of his own pocket, instead of risking them being pulled put of school because their father is a thief.

The excuse they did it for the children is just an attempt for sympathy.

It’s good to be subject to English law I’m sure you’ll agree.
The_Arrest_of_William_Joyce_lord_Haw_Haw_in_Germany_May_1945_BU6911-e1566813965247-1024x640.jpg

He didn't

The_Arrest_of_William_Joyce_lord_Haw_Haw_in_Germany_May_1945_BU6911-e1566813965247-1024x640.jpg

He didn't
American born, of Oirish descent and upbringing, if memory serves. Unwise, therefore, to expect him to have much respect for English law in the first place, even if he was an IRA tout for the Brits between the wars.

Still, the lads did give him pillows, rather than the good shoe-ing he deserved prior to being handed over to Albert Pierrepoint's professional ministrations.

Not pillows, they are neatly stacked blankets, the ultimate ignominy, being forced to chose between three years in the RAOC or the noose.
And to think,

There is a strong possibility that one, if not all of those blankets, were still 'doing the rounds' in accommodation blocks various in BAOR up until the wall came down.

Makes you proud to be British.

Words fail me, an entire career down the Shute for sending your kids to a state boarding school. Madness
fixed...paging @stacker1
this was an ex-ranker and a state school. Not just toffs with their snouts in the trough...

fixed...paging @stacker1
this was an ex-ranker and a state school. Not just toffs with their snouts in the trough...
I don't know why you think officers are toffs, real toffs don't need CEA, they can pay for Eton from their pocket change.

I don't know why you think officers are toffs, real toffs don't need CEA, they can pay for Eton from their pocket change.
figure of speech! Not that many toffs at Eton these days. Radley, Stowe, Sherborne maybe...?

Full of Russian and Chinese nouveaux riche
Yup, not many traditional British professional / upper middle-classes left at the top Public Schools now. Labour's proposal to add VAT will be the death-knell and finish many of the smaller independent schools that are just about affordable to two working parents.

Yup, not many traditional British professional / upper middle-classes left at the top Public Schools now. Labour's proposal to add VAT will be the death-knell and finish many of the smaller independent schools that are just about affordable to two working parents.
Fortunately, there is no chance of Labour implementing such a rule.

Fortunately, there is no chance of Labour implementing such a rule.
I suspect it's a great manifesto pledge but fraught with legislative difficulty. Great vote catcher though, particularly for those youth that managed to get 4 A*s in teacher assessed exams, and who will inevitably be nudged out of the jobs market by their privately educated peers.

I suspect it's a great manifesto pledge but fraught with legislative difficulty. Great vote catcher though, particularly for those youth that managed to get 4 A*s in teacher assessed exams, and who will inevitably be nudged out of the jobs market by their privately educated peers.
We were worried back in 2008 when David Blunkett talked about doing away with CEA. We got one of ours into the system then as we were posted to the States.

If you read the article it seems he found himself at the bottom of a hole and if he had declared his changed circumstances would quite likely have been given the allowance anyway. That was the Appeal Court's view when they cancelled the pay back part of the sentence. Seems the CM did not think him a master criminal either as he ended up non custodial, I wonder if he will try to get reinstated? Best of luck to him if he does try.
I can't really see the point in the 90 day curfew imposed on him as part of the sentence. Is it to discourage him from committing any further fraudulent allowance claims during the middle of the night?

Latest Threads