Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Are you saying that people with suicidal thoughts are incurable? If so, on what medical evidence do you base your assertion?

I didnt say they were curable or not, the army shouldnt be taking the risk. Do you want them going wibble during a critical moment?
For some reason some people on here think the army is some sort of welfare organization that is set up to help suicidal people, it isnt.

No, I don't believe the system failed him. He was out of the Marines, may have exhibited no behaviour suggesting a suicide risk when he was in, but did have access to support if he sought it.

Could it just be he simply decided he did not want to live anymore and did something about it?

What do you want? Everyone to receive counselling three times a week just in case they feel a bit sh1t?

It works like this.

Civvie tops himself, the causes could be many and varied, pressure of the job, wife left him, rentboy black mailing him, in pain, bankruptcy, living in fear of arrest, shamed in the media etc etc.

Military bod tops himself. Its all the military fault, they don't look after their 'eroes.

I didnt say they were curable or not, the army shouldnt be taking the risk. Do you want them going wibble during a critical moment?
For some reason some people on here think the army is some sort of welfare organization that is set up to help suicidal people, it isnt.
Errr the Army is currently taking the risk. To change that doesn’t make us look good does it.

Errr the Army is currently taking the risk. To change that doesn’t make us look good does it.

I'm not sure letting some young woman kill herself in Sandhurst is a good look either.

I'm not sure letting some young woman kill herself in Sandhurst is a good look either.
No but it's our problem that we're doing something about and that is better than rodding someone off because they were suicidal at some point. I am in line with you that everything should bbq done to ensure that these people can't join, but I don't know at what point the burden/DoC should be ours, but it's probably some point in Ph1.

No but it's our problem that we're doing something about and that is better than rodding someone off because they were suicidal at some point. I am in line with you that everything should bbq done to ensure that these people can't join, but I don't know at what point the burden/DoC should be ours, but it's probably some point in Ph1.

Rodding someone off? Get medical help and be a civvie is not rodded off, its taking you away from a highly stressful job which has access to weapons and ammunition.
Why does anyone want someone who is suicidal to continue to serve?

Last edited:
Good grief there is absolutely no getting through to you is there Albert
Hey don't drag me into this shïtfest clusterfück of " you said, I said; can't you read" that an originally genuinely interesting thread has become.

Rodding someone off? Get medical help and be a civvie is not rodded off, its taking you away from a highly stressful job which has access to weapons and ammunition.
Why does anyone want someone who is suicidal to continue to serve?
1. Everyone has access to rope and chemicals, and it doesn't take much to get access to a shotgun.
2. Why are you assuming that people are permanently suicidal as opposed to having had an episode. I don't think MH issues work in the way you think they do.

1. Everyone has access to rope and chemicals, and it doesn't take much to get access to a shotgun.

And yet the army has had quite a few suicides by rifle.
4 in Deepcut, several in Colchester, at least one in Afghanistan, one in Estonia etc

2. Why are you assuming that people are permanently suicidal as opposed to having had an episode. I don't think MH issues work in the way you think they do.

I dont assume they are, I assume they are a massive risk in the future.
Probably why the army is reluctant to recruit some people with a history of psychiatric problems:

Another CEA fraud LE Major this time, convicted in June but just completed at the Appeal Court

He has an unfortunate strap line elsewhere on the internet:

Major Marcus Heslop is a regular serving officer in the Royal Tank Regiment. Born into a military family, his entire life has been shaped by public service and the army values and standards.

Robme

LE
Another CEA fraud LE Major this time, convicted in June but just completed at the Appeal Court

He has an unfortunate strap line elsewhere on the internet:

Major Marcus Heslop is a regular serving officer in the Royal Tank Regiment. Born into a military family, his entire life has been shaped by public service and the army values and standards.
Words fail me, an entire career down the Shute over a few quid. Madness

Words fail me, an entire career down the Shute over a few quid. Madness
If you read the article it seems he found himself at the bottom of a hole and if he had declared his changed circumstances would quite likely have been given the allowance anyway. That was the Appeal Court's view when they cancelled the pay back part of the sentence. Seems the CM did not think him a master criminal either as he ended up non custodial, I wonder if he will try to get reinstated? Best of luck to him if he does try.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you read the article it seems he found himself at the bottom of a hole and if he had declared his changed circumstances would quite likely have been given the allowance anyway. That was the Appeal Court's view when they cancelled the pay back part of the sentence. Seems the CM did not think him a master criminal either as he ended up non custodial, I wonder if he will try to get reinstated? Best of luck to him if he does try.
I doubt it as this was a CM decision to dismiss and he has had his appeal. Still, he obviously had a very good legal team so they may have a cunning plan.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
He'll be entitled to an immediate pension, he has not lost his liberty. he doesn't have to refund the amount he swindled . . . . not a bad result for him, all things considered.

"chute" btw
"Early retirement" in other words :). The report said he now works in security so has lined himself up with an income. No doubt his ex will be trying to extract as much from him as possible now!

Latest Threads