Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

No, it’s part of the hearing, and quite soon in the proceedings. Right after the person doing the SH has confirmed their identity and read out the charge(s). The defendant (for want of a better word) is asked if they would prefer it to be dealt with summarily or at CM.
If the charged person says CM, then the proceedings stop and a CM will be convened. The person charged can ask to proceed to SH and it be dealt with from there.
Finding comes later. And the CO can, at any stage, take a recess to consider a sentencing, I.e. nothing to say it must be done within a certain timeframe.
Yep
Almost ... the question is now put to the accused during the hearing, but right at the beginning as question 5 whereas prior to 2009 it was almost at the end.
Sorry, last word should have been finding, not hearing. Slip of the brain.

Mon Cherie was emphatically not 'officers only'. Even the crabs used it.
Used it? Some had their salary paid straight into it I think....I did see a French Army Sous-Lieutenant in the bath in full uniform with Kepi mind. Thank feck I was only in Berlin on a quick and short course. My liver wouldn't have lasted long term.

I was in Berlin 1979-80 and Mon Cherie wasn't 'officers only' that I could see. More a case of 'first in best (un)dressed'. Mind you, I wasn't in the habit of checking ranks.

I guess it went in waves.

In 85-87 it was very much the place where one went after returning from an evening in the East. So lots of different mess kit to be seen, even occasionally the polyester variety.

I suspect that when this started to happen the lads simply went elsewhere; it wasn’t exactly the only place in ‘Dirty Shirty’.

I just 'searched' the number of times Mon Cherie has been referenced on the site. 12 posts, and that's only from me. It certainly left an impression on the Berlin Bde.

I just 'searched' the number of times Mon Cherie has been referenced on the site. 12 posts, and that's only from me. It certainly left an impression on the Berlin Bde.
Don't give up the day job mon ami...

1601554959603.png

I guess it went in waves.

In 85-87 it was very much the place where one went after returning from an evening in the East. So lots of different mess kit to be seen, even occasionally the polyester variety.

I suspect that when this started to happen the lads simply went elsewhere; it wasn’t exactly the only place in ‘Dirty Shirty’.

We always knew it as 'Grotty Charlotty'.

My boss, a Maj from a Guards Regiment I shan't name, would from time to time approach a colleague and I to go 'down town'. We always ended up at Mon Cherie and, apart from not letting us pay for drinks or taxis, he would also mind our wallets if we felt the need for some hot, soapy water. An absolute gent.

having about three seconds to consider their options and make a swift decision. Just a tad oppressive.
In my experience, the accused would have at least a few days prior to the summary dealing to weigh up that decision, and you'd expect an NCO - esp. a SNCO - to have the smarts and the experience to do the thinking needed in that time.

I would have to concede that a TA or Reserve soldier might not have the same day to day experience of the disciplinary process as characterises life for a career soldier moving up the ranks in a Regular mob.

We always knew it as 'Grotty Charlotty'.

My boss, a Maj from a Guards Regiment I shan't name, would from time to time approach a colleague and I to go 'down town'. We always ended up at Mon Cherie and, apart from not letting us pay for drinks or taxis, he would also mind our wallets if we felt the need for some hot, soapy water. An absolute gent.
What time-frame would that have been?

In my experience, the accused would have at least a few days prior to the summary dealing to weigh up that decision, and you'd expect an NCO - esp. a SNCO - to have the smarts and the experience to do the thinking needed in that time.

I would have to concede that a TA or Reserve soldier might not have the same day to day experience of the disciplinary process as characterises life for a career soldier moving up the ranks in a Regular mob.
I think it said that the Defendent had completed 22 years as a regular before he joined the Reserves?

The change was made because the offer of choosing a Court Martial was made after the case had been heard, thereby denying the fundamental right to elect for your case to be heard by jury. It meant that the defendant went to Court Martial having already been found guilty only to be tired again for the same offence.

This case is a classic example of why the new system is right.

1st Battalion, Grenadier Guards, in that case.

I bet he was the bloke who wore an expensive ushanka to church in the winter months, and was reputed to be so wealthy he didn't draw his salary :-D

I forget the name.

No, no, no, no. Although I may know who you mean. Clue - he wasn't serving with the Bn.

Euclid

War Hero
And another one. Lt Col Edwards REME up before the beak in October.

Soldier C up again - he must have the worst disciplinary record in the Army, him and Soldier F.

Latest Threads