Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't, just because young males are the highest risk doesn't mean that the Army has to let suicidal people serve.
Clearly the army didn't get it right with this woman.

The army already takes the risk of employing people who are MLD and sends them on ops. And employing people with pre-existing medical conditions.

If someone is ill, with a likelihood of recovery then I don’t see why they cannot recover and serve. If someone is permanently unable to recover then they should be managed out.

I have a good mate who served a number of years with SF and hid his MH issues because of the stigma attached. When he left he was in a very dark place and the Regt have helped him no end since after he reached out for help. The big issue with the forces till is stigma. Asking for MH help and assistance is STILL seen as a sign of weakness which is absolutely appalling I'm afraid
Health care there is gold standard so I've heard, but then they've probably got less of an issue with malingerers. I think there's also a focus on stress induced health issues which will hopefully filter down to the rest of us....along with the Garmin.

The army already takes the risk of employing people who are MLD and sends them on ops. And employing people with pre-existing medical conditions.

People with MLD on ops can generally use a weapon. Id suggest suicidal people cant.

If someone is ill, with a likelihood of recovery then I don’t see why they cannot recover and serve. If someone is permanently unable to recover then they should be managed out.

If they are suicidal how will you ever know if they can recover? Particularly in case of this woman who was in what is really just a robust public school and for what ever reason, couldnt handle it. Plenty more stressful shit that she might have had to do when at her unit.

Why, we're undermanned, you're just adding to the duty and MS burden by binning people outright.
Undermanning is usually down to low morale.

I would suggest that the worst way to improve morale is to retain officers and soldiers who are temperamentally unsuited to military service.

If - God forbid - one of those individuals commits suicide, the effect on morale will be immediately negative. If the suicide provokes claims of negligence or ill treatment, the detrimental effect on morale and unit cohesion is compounded.

The army is not for everyone.

What a load of emotional shit. "Abandon" them? Who said that? No one, so don't make up shite.
They go through the medical chain and get discharged.
You did, in not so many words. A decision is made by the medical chain, and it isn't based solely on an individual admitting to suicidal thoughts at some point.

You did, in not so many words. A decision is made by the medical chain, and it isn't based solely on an individual admitting to suicidal thoughts at some point.

No I didnt, did I? why not quote me?

Suicidal people have no place in the Army. They are a potential liability and if they do kill themselves then the Army gets the blame for not doing more for them.

People with MLD on ops can generally use a weapon. Id suggest suicidal people cant.

If they are suicidal how will you ever know if they can recover? Particularly in case of this woman who was in what is really just a robust public school and for what ever reason, couldnt handle it. Plenty more stressful shit that she might have had to do when at her unit.

Have a funny for indicating ever officer is just another young dumb full of boundless energy school person with access to uniforms weapons and sexual tension

So they avoid jail time as well.
Nothing like double standards to should that values and standards is just a meaningless phrase.
I'm beginning to wonder if you ever served Stack old boy...28 days in the Bn Punt as opposed to losing one's livelihood?
I'm sure many a young subbie turfed out on the suggestion he might be a better fit in civilian life would have jumped at the chance of bulled boots, baldy heid, and healthy body for 28 days then soldier on!
You must have really hated your Officers...or wanted to be one so badly it hurt!

100% - Taff Langley one of the old lads from 7 Sigs recently took his own life after having MH problems relating to his time in Afghanistan
Taff Langley? Seriously? He was in my squadron and was an absolute diamond of a bloke. That is absolutely dreadful news. I could tell you a few great stories about Taff, but this is not the place.

The horrible thing of that was because I was in NI at the time I did Paddy's bearer party. The rumour was that they all had agreed a 'suicide pact'. Very sad.

Max had MH issues and was always trying to live up to his Father's very exacting standards and the start of his downward spiral was when he got 28 days. I was in the same troop as him until he got out and then he was inter-sqn posted.
I don't think they had a pact, they were a couple of months apart. One of them was a last minute wife suddenly leaving him thing anyway.

How do you know they cannot? I would suggest there are far more people who have had suicidal thoughts or who have had periods of time when they had suicidal thoughts than there are people who have killed themselves.

How do you know they cannot? I would suggest there are far more people who have had suicidal thoughts or who have had periods of time when they had suicidal thoughts than there are people who have killed themselves.

I dont and personally I wouldnt take the risk.
If you cant handle Sandhurst (to the point you would kill yourself) you are extremely unlikely to handle anything else the army throws at you.

I'm beginning to wonder if you ever served Stack old boy...28 days in the Bn Punt as opposed to losing one's livelihood?
I'm sure many a young subbie turfed out on the suggestion he might be a better fit in civilian life would have jumped at the chance of bulled boots, baldy heid, and healthy body for 28 days then soldier on!
You must have really hated your Officers...or wanted to be one so badly it hurt!

Only the tom never got the choice did he?
My hatred is normally confined to the hypocrisy and double standards of people who are supposed to "serve to lead"
The "hilarious" stories of young officers bribing their way out of trouble on here shows that.

I dont and personally I wouldnt take the risk.
If you cant handle Sandhurst (to the point you would kill yourself) you are extremely unlikely to handle anything else the army throws at you.
Luckily you don’t have to take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads