Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I think that when I was an OCdt at UOTC, my payslip [ridiculous that we got paid for that!] said Pte, and that my RMAS on said OCdt - but could also be wrong. @Brotherton Lad - I believe you have something to do with RMAS - do you know?

Late 80s/early 90s, UOTC cadets not otherwise engaged (cadetships/bursaries/transfers) were paid as Private Grade 4, rising to Private Grade 2 if you'd passed MTQ2.

But that was a long time ago and it's changed a fair bit since...

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I think that when I was an OCdt at UOTC, my payslip [ridiculous that we got paid for that!] said Pte, and that my RMAS on said OCdt - but could also be wrong. @Brotherton Lad - I believe you have something to do with RMAS - do you know?

Soldiers under trg get £16000 pa. OCdts here get about £28000 pa, rising to about £34K on commissioning. Not sure about their legal status for Mil Law, but they are obviously still under training. UOTC could well pay less than RMAS. It did in my day, but I am long since retired.

Soldiers under trg get £16000 pa. OCdts here get about £28000 pa, rising to about £34K on commissioning. Not sure about their legal status for Mil Law, but they are obviously still under training. UOTC could well pay less than RMAS. It did in my day, but I am long since retired.

Bloody hell, no wonder the Mess carpark is devoid of three wheelers these days.

It’s all in Army Commissioning Regulations.

Hopkins

Old-Salt
None there, no EFI in Lash see

Are you sure?

temp.jpg

I believe an RLC TA WO1 got put on the naughty step in Colchester after some shenanigans in Iraq around 2003-4 time fraud I think they called it
Fags?

chimera

LE
Blimey,

I am in no way doubting your dit. My point is selling ammo (and possibly more) to armed blaggers and only get bust 1 x stripe from Cpl to LCpl! I know blokes who got worse than that for much less serious stuff.

Mind boggling.
Just to put it in context: These guys got 12 years:

I thought that all officer cadets held the substantive rank of private. Mind you this would not be the first time I had thought something that later proved to be wrong.
Used to be so; they weren’t officers. As an OCdt I had a soldier’s 8 figure number.

See @alfred_the_great’S earlier post for current situation.

Used to be so; they weren’t officers. As an OCdt I had a soldier’s 8 figure number.

All the army now have the same numbering system. Take a look at the next commissioning list, the officers will be 3*******. Albertous Junior kept his soldier numbering at and post sandbags.

All the army now have the same numbering system. Take a look at the next commissioning list, the officers will be 3*******. Albertous Junior kept his soldier numbering at and post sandbags.

Which I presume was also a 300***** number?

Choux Bun

Old-Salt
There was an element of roguery and piss taking inherent in the 'old army'. It was known and accepted, and we were all either sinners, past sinners, or future sinners. Transgressions that would have been seriously regarded in more puritanical armies were dealt with informally. The CSM and OC might tear strips off the junior ranks, but they'd be laughing inwardly. There were ways of educating offenders that didn't mess up their futures or destroy their morale. It sounds like some of that humour and flexibility has gone.
When Junior Officers had committed minor transgressions and were reported, they often came to see me (as Adjutant) formally. In most cases I had discussed the circumstances with their sub-unit commanders, or the CO, beforehand. My opening remark used to be something along the lines of 'well Lt Pipkin you can help me with the Orderly Officer's Duty Roster, or discuss the matter formally with the CO' Mostly the Duty Roster was amended and published on Part One Orders. Depending on how the transgression was viewed, could earn 3-10 'extras', day on, day off if serious!!
I only ever remember my 'offer' being turned down once and that resulted in the CO 'inviting' the Junior Officer to make a 'donation' to the ABF. He subsequently received a 'thank you' letter from the charity and told me in the Mess sometime afterwards, that he wishes he'd taken the extra's - IIRC I 'offered' him 5.

When Junior Officers had committed minor transgressions and were reported, they often came to see me (as Adjutant) formally. In most cases I had discussed the circumstances with their sub-unit commanders, or the CO, beforehand. My opening remark used to be something along the lines of 'well Lt Pipkin you can help me with the Orderly Officer's Duty Roster, or discuss the matter formally with the CO' Mostly the Duty Roster was amended and published on Part One Orders. Depending on how the transgression was viewed, could earn 3-10 'extras', day on, day off if serious!!
I only ever remember my 'offer' being turned down once and that resulted in the CO 'inviting' the Junior Officer to make a 'donation' to the ABF. He subsequently received a 'thank you' letter from the charity and told me in the Mess sometime afterwards, that he wishes he'd taken the extra's - IIRC I 'offered' him 5.
Not really in line with values and standards though.

D

Deleted 15653

Likewise, I had an 8 figure number in the OTC which I kept when enlisting as a Soldier

Latest Threads