Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Thanks...I missed that case. Interestingly this was heard in the Crown court...even though the fraud was detected whilst he was serving. But it is also an aggravated offence by forgery, which might account for the severity of the sentence. And the fact he sent his sons to a Left Footter school...
It can be the case that RMP begin investigating and if the fraud becomes larger in scale MDP take over. Or MDP retain full jurisdiction (after appropriate discussion). RMP cases go to CM, MDP to Crown Court.
As I had it explained to me, Crown Court cases can then use the Proceedings of Crime Act to recover lost property and money. A JA at CM can order compensation to be paid, but not into the tens of thousands. Nor can they require assets seized to make restitution under POCA.

The crime classification and charge in the Met was False Representtation so I think you are splitting hairs.
The Fraud Act 2006 replaced very few offences. The major one was the old s.15 Theft Act (Deception, etc). All the other offences one might find on the charge sheet such as Forgery and Counterfeiting, False Accounting etc are still used.

Heres one
I knew him well, he is known by his middle name and was Chief Instructor at a Phase 1 establishment I was posted to. I'd also met him in other roles in the Branch. He always seemed a pleasant chap and something of a 'gentleman'. There was little sympathy for him in the Branch and I have no idea what has become of him since his fall.

Regarding 'Desertion'. One day in BAOR I got summoned to the SSM's office (not a wholly unknown turn of events) He was a good egg but looked rather serious 'Ah, Cpl D, this is Sgt Knacker of the RMP' Once I'd shovelled the contents of my pants back up my ARRSE he explained it wasn't anything I'd done.

'Do you know Lt 123456 of the Cheshires?

'Errrrr......' Eventually I realised who he meant. In NI (Crossmaglen to be exact) one of the Inf Pl Comds was ex Int Corps and knew our Det Comd. I didn't know him but we chatted over a brew a few times and he asked about various people in the Corps, some of whom I knew. It turned out that just after his tour he had done a bunk. As he'd left his ID card behind I was told it was Desertion rather than AWOL, but I can't say for certain if that is the case. Dunno if he ever turned up or not.

Last edited:
One day in BAOR I got summoned to the SSM's office (not a wholly unknown turn of events) He was a good egg but looked rather serious 'Ah, Cpl D, this is Sgt Knacker of the RMP' Once I'd shovelled the contents of my pants back up my ARRSE

**** knows why, in the case of the bloody knife: He had the knife in his hand. 13 witnesses had seen him stab the victim. And when the police arrived, he said "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off; he got him knighted in the New Year's Honours List. And the relatives of the victim had to pay to wash the blood out of his jacket!

Its wasnt Massingbirds skill it was the fact the RMP were the investigating force.

**** knows why, in the case of the bloody knife: He had the knife in his hand. 13 witnesses had seen him stab the victim. And when the police arrived, he said "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off; he got him knighted in the New Year's Honours List. And the relatives of the victim had to pay to wash the blood out of his jacket!

Its wasnt Massingbirds skill it was the fact the RMP were the investigating force.
Ah, Butch Oscar, father of 47 illegitimate children, best-selling author of the pamphlet 'Why I like to do it with girls' and Massingbird got him sent down for being a Whoopsie

Euclid

War Hero
Stabs behaving badly. - The Staff Sergeant was Court martialled but young Mr Navarro is the one whose Stab career has just been fcked.

Long-serving Army sergeant, 44, is court martialed for drunken clash with junior officer who insisted he call him 'sir' at Christmas party
By Katie Weston For Mailonline
10:26 30 Sep 2020, updated 10:28 30 Sep 2020

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Regarding 'Desertion'.

'Do you know Lt 123456 of the Cheshires?

'Errrrr......' Eventually I realised who he meant. In NI (Crossmaglen to be exact) one of the Inf Pl Comds was ex Int Corps and knew our Det Comd. I didn't know him but we chatted over a brew a few times and he asked about various people in the Corps, some of whom I knew. It turned out that just after his tour he had done a bunk. As he'd left his ID card behind I was told it was Desertion rather than AWOL, but I can't say for certain if that is the case. Dunno if he ever turned up or not.

Was that the one with the wart on his forehead who went to be a Buddhist monk in Bhutan, or something like that, mid 80s ?

Stabs behaving badly. - The Staff Sergeant was Court martialled but young Mr Navarro is the one whose Stab career has just been fcked.

Long-serving Army sergeant, 44, is court martialed for drunken clash with junior officer who insisted he call him 'sir' at Christmas party
By Katie Weston For Mailonline
10:26 30 Sep 2020, updated 10:28 30 Sep 2020

Maybe he objected to being called a uppity little ****.

Well, you'd hope that the SSgt would have had more maturity and sense than to 'rise to the occasion', no matter you much the subbie apparently deserved an earful.

Well, you'd hope that the SSgt would have had more maturity and sense than to 'rise to the occasion', no matter you much the subbie apparently deserved an earful.

I think it was the fact the SSgt pushed/shoved him. If it was just a bit of verbal he probably would have got away with it as (according to the story) the officer was also gobbing off.
On this occasion, Id say the SSgt is a bit of a throbber, not the officer.

Nose and ears swapped places?

Daily Wail 'journalism' or editorial quality control. Certainly a sense of humour bypass somewhere.

Last edited:

Latest Threads