Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Name one object, if you can, that has more than one centre of gravity.
I think that’s my point...

In my defence I was but a callow young SO2, enduring the ghastliness that was HQ ARRC in 2001.

He asked me to come back as a DS, so I must have done something right.

That’s when I had my dealings with ARRC. I gave the briefings In Brussels on the Landmine problem in BH.
A briefing that clearly never reached the ears of the French Foreign Legion.

We had a Chunky SNCO hospitalized on Day One of IFOR deployment, when he triggered an AP mine in the grounds of a building in Sarajevo cleared by them as safe for HQ ARRC occupancy. . . .

Last edited:

We had a Chunky SNCO hospitalized on Day One of IFOR deployment, when he triggered an AP mine in the grounds of a building in Sarajevo cleared by them as safe for HQ ARRC occupancy. . . .
Terme (Sp?). We took over the place in Nov/Dec 1995 and you could literally see the trip wires and the mines in the grassed areas. The chunky was very lucky, just leg injuries IIRC. The farmer on the other side of the river set fire to the field to 'clear it of mines'. There were a few bangs, but it didn't strike us as the way to do it.

The entire French EOD team managed to kill themselves during the UNPROFOR mission whilst converting 90mm ammunition to souvenirs.

Unfortunately many of the problems can be put down - in my personal opinion - to the personal ambition of the Comd Emgr ARRC who decided he was going to be the one who ‘solved’ the mine problem in BiH when he arrived. His particular CORGI was to get the various factions to ‘lift’ their own mines.

It was a cunning plan with just a teensy weensy flaw...

Comd Emgr ARRC who decided he was going to be the one who ‘solved’ the mine problem in BiH when he arrived. His particular CORGI was to get the various factions to ‘lift’ their own mines.
When was that little gem conceived? I don't remember it surfacing during my time (mind you, after devoting about 3 years of my life to the planning of the IFOR deployment, I was - like about 50% of the UK Staff - due to rotate out of the HQ around Xmas 1995/Jan 1996, and had to hang on by my fingernails to be in-theatre long enough to qualify for the gong).

Comd Engrs HQ ARRC at deployment was Maj-Gen Moore-Bick (IIRC), who struck me as being a very smart and capable bloke. I'd be somewhat gobsmacked if he couldn't see the flaw with that little wheeze.

When was that little gem conceived? I don't remember it surfacing during my time (mind you, after devoting about 3 years of my life to the planning of the IFOR deployment, I was - like about 50% of the UK Staff - due to rotate out of the HQ around Xmas 1995/Jan 1996, and had to hang on by my fingernails to be in-theatre long enough to qualify for the gong).

Comd Engrs HQ ARRC at deployment was Maj-Gen Moore-Bick (IIRC), who struck me as being a very smart and capable bloke. I'd be somewhat gobsmacked if he couldn't see the flaw with that little wheeze.

It was indeed his CORGI.

Yeah, but when did it first emerge from the kennel?

Early days of IFOR. When IFOR was just moving into the Terme.

I was in the UN mine program and I was incredibly politically naïve those days, it being my first international civvy job.

Having briefed him up on the situation, I watched him work the room at an international agency meeting. My recent boss in the UN had been an ex-sapper brigadier and it soon became apparent that M-B was looking for an ‘angle’ to put himself front and centre of the international community in terms of the mine problem. He was rebuffed by all the various international organisations at that meeting so came up with a ‘military’ solution which involved the ARRC mine cell giving out copies of the minefield ‘records’ the UN had collected back to the various factions and encouraging them to go and pick them up.

It will not surprise you to learn that B-H is still quite heavily contaminated. Croatia, which didn’t use this method, is now essentially mine-free.

I believe it's where you'll find the crime he mentioned.
I am well aware of the contents of the Act thank you. My point is Filthy Conract had become totally confused as to the offence committed by quoting, incorrectly, terms which may have been used prior to the 2006 Act then Par Avion bimbles along and helpfully quotes an Act which does not even exist. Blind leading the blind.

Anyway all an irrelevance now as in true Arrse fashion this thread doesnt care about the trial or offences committed and has, as usual, degenerated into a group of piss stained geriatrics reminiscing about HQ ARRC in Bosnia :) If you pop over to the CO of the Queen Elizabeth thread you will find more of the same but about COs wives and Xmas functions.

Last edited:
Early days of IFOR. When IFOR was just moving into the Terme.

I was in the UN mine program and I was incredibly politically naïve those days, it being my first international civvy job.

Having briefed him up on the situation, I watched him work the room at an international agency meeting. My recent boss in the UN had been an ex-sapper brigadier and it soon became apparent that M-B was looking for an ‘angle’ to put himself front and centre of the international community in terms of the mine problem. He was rebuffed by all the various international organisations at that meeting so came up with a ‘military’ solution which involved the ARRC mine cell giving out copies of the minefield ‘records’ the UN had collected back to the various factions and encouraging them to go and pick them up.

It will not surprise you to learn that B-H is still quite heavily contaminated. Croatia, which didn’t use this method, is now essentially mine-free.
Well I'm blowed.

Sounds like he was cuffing it on the day.

Just goes to show that even very good generals should never be allowed out without adult supervision. :-D

Latest Threads