Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Hilarious; he's one of the greatest generators of bureaucratic overheads in ACO! Can't run a meeting to save his life, and has no respect for staffing timelines.

The quality of German 2*s went rapidly downhill post 1945.

I'd say the quality of the whole German general officer corps, and yet they still managed to produce the occasional star. One of the best officers (albeit he was already retired) I've ever had the pleasure of meeting or working with:

Alamo

LE
I'd say the quality of the whole German general officer corps, and yet they still managed to produce the occasional star. One of the best officers (albeit he was already retired) I've ever had the pleasure of meeting or working with:

He was the senior mentor and ‘Joint Comd’ on my op planning course. Very demanding but I learnt a load.

Egon Ramms was my COM at Brunssum. A genuinely top bloke.

Many were in 'secure' accommodation with the Russians, like Poor old Hans Von Luck banged up till 1949. Others were still in the Gulags till the mid 50s.

Like Helge Hansen's (see above) father, Ottomar - 'With the unconditional surrender of the Wehrmacht , Hansen was taken prisoner by the Soviets on May 8, 1945 , from which he was released on October 11, 1955 after more than ten years.' He must have been a tough old bird though, joining the Bundeswehr on his release, and living to the age of 88. His father, Karl, was also a German Army general (3*), so it certainly ran in the family.

Last edited:
He was the senior mentor and ‘Joint Comd’ on my op planning course. Very demanding but I learnt a load.

Egon Ramms was my COM at Brunssum. A genuinely top bloke.
Haha! #metoo. Did mine at the Dutch Staff College in Delft.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Suspended sentence. I wonder if the plebs defence at court martials ever ask why their client is going to MCTC for nicking relatively small amounts where as officers gets lighter sentences for larger amounts.

This isn't just a court martial problem. It's a known problem with criminal sentencing generally. Being female/middle class/white/attractive all seem to get you lower sentences.

I wonder if the sentence for Lavinia Woodward would have been so lenient if she'd been a male apprentice plumber? I suspect the judge wouldn't have cared so much about the possible career damage.

This isn't just a court martial problem. It's a known problem with criminal sentencing generally. Being female/middle class/white/attractive all seem to get you lower sentences.
It appears that plenty of white male officers get a lighter sentence than white male toms at a court martial.
It would very much appear to be a rank thing.

Told me if I had the energy to smile I had capacity to do more work! And I will never make the mistake of making up my own COA Comparison Criteria Again
I made the mistake of having two CoGs. He said you can only have one CoG or you ‘fall on your arse!‘
Or the German equivalent.

Latest Threads