Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

These CM results have been up for a few years now but is it me or does there seem to be more people going through the CM process?? I did laugh at some Gurkha sounding names, they could get away with blue murder or indeed crashing your car outside a certain Aldershot barracks not far from the museum pished up and it would all be kept in-house so to speak!!!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All this is very nicely taking all the heat off young Shagger Jones - got away with it Scot free, I’d imagine?

I believe he was cleared of the breach of lockdown charge. I think the thoroughly deserved bullying investigation is still ongoing though.

Euclid

War Hero
There’s a crab up before the beak this week as well, one Wg Cdr Burgon.

There is a military discipline thread but given the spiral of descent into criminality, and Officers Messes becoming modern day Soddom and Gomorrah’s, we need a separate thread to keep us all up to date.

As well as somewhere to share our mutual concerns about standards today, and to offer uninformed opinions as to guilt and appropriate just punishment. Oh, and the schadenfreude - lets not forget that.

Old-Salt
What punishments do they have available to them now he's left? How long does service law keep hold of you after discharge?
All the range of punishment available to the Crown Court, plus the additional joys that a CM can bestow, are available to the court. As he is now a civi pensioner they wont dismiss him or reduce him to the ranks etc ;)

You can be charged by CO up to 3 months after you leave and sent for CM up to six months after you leave service as a matter of course, but if they want to charge you after that they require the AG's consent - which will always be granted for serious offences at CM.

All the range of punishment available to the Crown Court, plus the additional joys that a CM can bestow, are available to the court. As he is now a civi pensioner they wont dismiss him or reduce him to the ranks etc ;)

You can be charged by CO up to 3 months after you leave and sent for CM up to six months after you leave service as a matter of course, but if they want to charge you after that they require the AG's consent - which will always be granted for serious offences at CM.

There seems to be a good April Fool's joke to be had out of this. There must be some (plenty probably) long retired ARRSE veteran for whom a fake CM summons could be knocked up. Instructions could include reporting to a named guardroom on some date for him to be transported to the CM Centre in Bulford?

Also instructed to dress in very shiny shoes, razor sharp creases in his suit, haircut and shave etc. ready to be marched in and out, not sure if they do everything at the pace of OCs/COs but perhaps that could be worked in somehow.

Euclid

War Hero

So if say a retired Maj Gen was convicted of being a wrong un and no mistake, and the offence carried a custodial sentence of a few months, would he (or she) get a trip to MCTC?

Old-Salt
Only in transit. Officers don't do MCTC sentences, but would be in immediate custody and transit there for a few days until his transfer to HMP Chelmsford was arranged.

Only in transit. Officers don't do MCTC sentences, but would be in immediate custody and transit there for a few days until his transfer to HMP Chelmsford was arranged.
How does that work if they have committed a military offence? AWOL, desertion, telling the CO to go **** himself etc?
Will a civvie prison accept officers who have not broken a civvie law?

Euclid

War Hero
How does that work if they have committed a military offence? AWOL, desertion, telling the CO to go **** himself etc?
Allow me to provide an out of date response founded on imperfect, barracks room knowledge.

It would be an offence under the Army Act and therefore a criminal offence (I guess).

Old-Salt
Oh yes they do!
The sentence of the CM is the same as a sentence passed by any other court.

Desertion is more likely to get imprisonment rather than detention - particularly if done with intent to avoid active service as that is what the sentencing guidelines suggest.

Latest Threads