Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

It’s worth remembering that the majority of officers don’t claim CEA and fewer still are fraudulent.

Not quite the narrative some like to hear.

Whats an acceptable amount of officer CEA claimants being thieving cnuts?

DCGS has today written to the chain of command and directed a full audit of all claimants. The difficulty is that the paper trail doesn’t require verification as to where Mrs “Welch” happens to spend her time. The traditional Mess social events used to provide an indicator, but not these days. Beyond that it’s only the neighbours that know. So not a bad fraud to commit when the only evidence is from a curtain twitcher.

So almost pointless doing an audit and expecting to catch anyone then.

Mess functions are easy enough to blag if you really had to, but there is a limit to the amount of people who would know if you claim CEA.

Neighbours generally know **** all, they wont know the married status or if someone is a CEA claimant.

Truxx

LE
DCGS has today written to the chain of command and directed a full audit of all claimants. The difficulty is that the paper trail doesn’t require verification as to where Mrs “Welch” happens to spend her time. The traditional Mess social events used to provide an indicator, but not these days. Beyond that it’s only the neighbours that know. So not a bad fraud to commit when the only evidence is from a curtain twitcher.
Interesting dilemma here.

On the one hand I am sure that there is a strong desire to ensure all is above board. On the other, my spidey senses tell me that the last thing that the system would want is a very public hanging out of dirty laundry.

It’s worth remembering that the majority of officers don’t claim CEA and fewer still are fraudulent.

Really? The amount of officers that I knew that once the kids where 11 that did not go to boarding school, well I could count on one finger

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Only if you are accused. Otherwise none of that will ever come to light.

They contemplate it because it nearly all cases, its just bad luck that they get caught, not the Army catching them through an audit.

the Army doesn't want to catch the crooks, this whole audit is just a bit of diversionary cover so the guilty can drop shaky claims in good time.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Fiona Edington, defending, said:
'This officer was a good quality officer. That money was repaid in full after conviction.

in other words, he stole the money because he could, not because he needed it.

In some ways, the fact that the majority of officers don’t claim CEA makes it worse. At what point does CEA fraud become prevalent amongst those who claim. I would have thought that three convictions in six months is very concerning.

It also raises questions about assessing people and selecting them for promotion. How on earth can the system promote people who so lack integrity that they are prepared to risk everything for what is in reality petty theft?

I suspect that the integrity issue is far wider and far from confined to the officers mess. It’s just that CEA is the big one that catches big fish.

Still unemployed eh?;-)

Never been unemployed

Retired after 22 years in the Army and 18 years in O&G.

If you are struggling for fingers, that makes me retired at 58.

ETA

What makes it even more damning is that this retired guy ( or unemployed in your mind ) manages to fork out £15k a year in International School fees without resorting to thieving tax payers money, like some Officers.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Only one Para? What is happening to the Parachute Regiment these days?

Maybe the Toms have a new 'obby. You know how the Marines like Little Black Dresses? Maybe they are taking a leaf from this young lady's book and are making Big Red Murder Dresses instead?

It also raises questions about assessing people and selecting them for promotion. How on earth can the system promote people who so lack integrity that they are prepared to risk everything for what is in reality petty theft?
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that their OJARs don't say that they are thieving cnuts.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Petty theft ?

Even low life scumbags in civvie street do not get 20 months up their hoop for petty theft.

low life scumbags in civvie street don’t get to sit as lord high executioner over the lives and careers of 800 people, dispensing dicisions that can make or break a life and/or a career.
These are people who judge the lives of others, who can and do ruin some 20 year olds career for impulsively stealing a fiver from the mess till when drunk, damn right they should have their balls put in a mangle when caught being systematic thieves themselves.

You should see some of the bottom third dross that gets fobbed off onto the reserves / backwaters Defence roles.

damn right they should have their balls put in a mangle when caught being systematic thieves themselves.

Have a coffee and switch on your sarcasm meter.

The theft of taxpayers money over a prolonged period can never be called ' Petty theft ' I think the correct term is ' Fraud '

Petty theft is used as a method of reducing the severity of the crime committed by thieving, pikey, lower than snakes bellies officers.

Im just reading that Mr Roberts was the CO at 105 RA Regt, a reserve regiment, which could explain why it was easier to bluff where is wife was.

Not much detail on how he was caught though.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Im just reading that Mr Roberts was the CO at 105 RA Regt, a reserve regiment, which could explain why it was easier to bluff where is wife was.

Not much detail on how he was caught though.

he appears to have been reported by a Colonel neighbour.

Latest Threads