Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

What are they going to do to him if he does still use Maj Gen (Retd) ? Whats offence does he committ? Its just an honorific thing. The same as if I decide to sign my letters Cpl RE (Retd) there is not a lot the army can do about it.
Depends in what context - could be back into court on mis representation if it is done for gain, i.e. CV / Job applications

Archie

conjurer

Clanker
How would it be misrepresentation? He served and retired in rank. Surely this is merely a public humiliation and which prevents him from representing the MOD in any military context plus the associated social stigma, restriction of liberty and repayment of boarding fees.

How would it be misrepresentation? He served and retired in rank. Surely this is merely a public humiliation and which prevents him from representing the MOD in any military context plus the associated social stigma, restriction of liberty and repayment of boarding fees.

He was retrospectively given a dishonorable discharge, if he represents himself as a Rtd Major General then he is technically commiting an offence, now unless it was done for gain then I expect that the authorities would might not pursue any action

Archie

Truxx

LE
What are they going to do to him if he does still use Maj Gen (Retd) ? Whats offence does he committ? Its just an honorific thing. The same as if I decide to sign my letters Cpl RE (Retd) there is not a lot the army can do about it.
You do not even have to add "Retd".

Truxx

LE
He was retrospectively given a dishonorable discharge, if he represents himself as a Rtd Major General then he is technically commiting an offence, now unless it was done for gain then I expect that the authorities would might not pursue any action

Archie
Not sure if that is true.

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
Makes you wonder why we now put graduates through 12 months at RMAS?

Interesting this. Having been exposed somewhat to several newly regular commissioned types (myself only a few years ahead of them) I can't help but feel the 12 months is a waste of both time and emotional energy.

Certainly in the Corps as much time seems to be spent un-learning the Sandhurst mind control and bringing them into something more suitable for [insert unit here]. Perhaps if one did six months at Sandhurst and the other at RD as a highly paid private the clueless one-pip may start to become rather thinner on the ground.

exsniffer

Old-Salt
That was the system of until the Standard Graduate Course was introduced in, I think, 1979 (slight guess as to the date; I started SGC 6 in 1984, so 79 makes sense).

Many of the Sapper officers I served under in my early career were graduates of the POSUC course, having a degree and attended UOTC. So they had done 3 months maximum at Sandhurst and yet, somehow, were competent officers, some of whom went on to be VSOs. My generation has somehow managed on 6 months at Sandhurst.

The passing out parade would not be as nearly photogenic if they had not spent so much time practising military line dancing

That was the system of until the Standard Graduate Course was introduced in, I think, 1979 (slight guess as to the date; I started SGC 6 in 1984, so 79 makes sense).

Many of the Sapper officers I served under in my early career were graduates of the POSUC course, having a degree and attended UOTC. So they had done 3 months maximum at Sandhurst and yet, somehow, were competent officers, some of whom went on to be VSOs. My generation has somehow managed on 6 months at Sandhurst.

I recall two 1974 POSUC graduates who did extremely well, David Richards and David Leakey, both extremely good on the course too.

FFS is your irony meter running? Or your sense of humour one?

He said
They can recover the £48k plus cost from his pension.

He can't use Major (Rtd)
Might be able to stop him getting a veterans railcard & blue light card
He was a Maj Gen not a Maj. So I said - oh never mind.

I'm going to go with it still being cheaper than 24k a kid. If it wasn't, some of the cheaper private schools would have folded. Windsor school (and others in Germany) shows that it can work.
With the added bonus of less fraud and paperwork.

The downside of course would be some people would be upset that their little cherubs wouldn't be going to the posh school that they have chosen at the expense of the taxpayer anymore.
From experience, the cost of providing boarding provision is well under 20k pa; depending on your staffing costs, overheads, etc. I know the place I was running it was c£15.7k

Day pupils are good for sustaining cash flow. Boarding is where the profit is at.

From experience, the cost of providing boarding provision is well under 20k pa; depending on your staffing costs, overheads, etc. I know the place I was running it was c£15.7k

Day pupils are good for sustaining cash flow. Boarding is where the profit is at.
I think the issue is boarding houses are so much more than accommodation block. They offer the 24 seven care in lieu of parental home but also the after-school activities extra curricular wrap etc. A dosshouse next to black pudding comp may well be a cheap alternative. But it certainly wouldn't be a boarding school.

In fact we looked at a couple of state boarders and I would categorise them as schools with boarding not boarding schools

I think the issue is boarding houses are so much more than accommodation block. They offer the 24 seven care in lieu of parental home but also the after-school activities extra curricular wrap etc. A dosshouse next to black pudding comp may well be a cheap alternative. But it certainly wouldn't be a boarding school.

In fact we looked at a couple of state boarders and I would categorise them as schools with boarding not boarding schools
I went to what was then a Direct Grant school. Predominantly day boys with about 20% boarders. It went fully independent whilst I was there. The ratio of day boys to boarders was pretty much 80:20 for several hundred years until about ten years ago.

It’s now out of the boarding game completely; the last boarding house closed 3 years ago. It’s just not viable to provide the all encompassing environment for a small number of boys.

I went to what was then a Direct Grant school. Predominantly day boys with about 20% boarders. It went fully independent whilst I was there. The ratio of day boys to boarders was pretty much 80:20 for several hundred years until about ten years ago.

It’s now out of the boarding game completely; the last boarding house closed 3 years ago. It’s just not viable to provide the all encompassing environment for a small number of boys.
yup, that was my observation of the state Boarders we looked at, one more so than the other. Admissions confirmed that they have only a handful of kids in at weekends, mainly Chinese kids.

Latest Threads