Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

G10 watch.....

when U took over command I was beeing whweled around th establishment. Nit that I needed it as I had spent a number of years in the same place as Ops Officer.

but I was doing my thing, pressing the flesh and getting the brief on depatment after department.

in the TQMs I was exposed to a full on battering over lifting tackle ins pections and the intricacies of the F88 (lifting tackle register). On completion I was invited to ask questions.

"As CO" I asked " am I entitled to a G10 watch? "

cue silence.

"Hang on a minute Sir" said the RSM, scudding out of the stores office to return 5 minutes later, complete with G10 watch, still sweaty from whichever wrist it had been wrestled from.

as he handed it over he gave the TQM the scowl that would have killed a civilian. ..

I have had a G10 watch since I was a LanceJack (still got a CWC lying around somewhere) and every rank since. I graduated to an Aircrew watch (as a groundie) when I became AAC.

I suppose there are marked differences between the r
Rank & File and the DE community after all ^~

I have had a G10 watch since I was a LanceJack (still got a CWC lying around somewhere) and every rank since. I graduated to an Aircrew watch (as a groundie) when I became AAC.

I suppose there are marked differences between the r
Rank & File and the DE community after all ^~

Yes from my current observations honesty and integrity seem to set the rank & file - head a shoulders above

Archie

Yokel

LE
Can anyone imagine things like wooden beds and pillows? Or solitary confinement with only a cup of water and four slices of bread per day?

My father told me that he served with a bloke whose father was the Bootneck Sergeant Major at RNDQs and told me about the brass piss pots that had to be polished.

As I recall (very vaguely) from the days of SMC5 (in The Year Of Our Lord 1974) there were actually two graduate courses running, DE and POSUC, of different durations, and with different syllabi, and I think the distinction was between those who had taken part in UOTC training and attained quals, and those who simply had a degree.

In truth, I was far too busy to worry about who they were, or how they were being trained, although I'll confess to feeling a bit perplexed a year or so later to meet newbies to the mess who'd spent less time in the army than me yet somehow gained a marginal seniority advantage along the way . . . . .
That was the system of until the Standard Graduate Course was introduced in, I think, 1979 (slight guess as to the date; I started SGC 6 in 1984, so 79 makes sense).

Many of the Sapper officers I served under in my early career were graduates of the POSUC course, having a degree and attended UOTC. So they had done 3 months maximum at Sandhurst and yet, somehow, were competent officers, some of whom went on to be VSOs. My generation has somehow managed on 6 months at Sandhurst.

Makes you wonder why we now put graduates through 12 months at RMAS?

Can anyone imagine things like wooden beds and pillows? Or solitary confinement with only a cup of water and four slices of bread per day?

My father told me that he served with a bloke whose father was the Bootneck Sergeant Major at RNDQs and told me about the brass piss pots that had to be polished.

Thanks for posting that, a most damning indictment of the Royal Navy, and within my lifetime too. What an utterly pointless regime that was. What did they hope to achieve with that? I would expect that the regime had only changed by removal of the threat of flogging or hanging in the previous 100 years. To think that that report was made only 10-15 years before I joined up. Looking online, looks like it’s only been closed for 30 years. There’ll still be people in the Navy that remember it.

Reinforces my decision to join a more civilised service.

Thanks for posting that, a most damning indictment of the Royal Navy, and within my lifetime too. What an utterly pointless regime that was. What did they hope to achieve with that? I would expect that the regime had only changed by removal of the threat of flogging or hanging in the previous 100 years. To think that that report was made only 10-15 years before I joined up. Looking online, looks like it’s only been closed for 30 years. There’ll still be people in the Navy that remember it.

Reinforces my decision to join a more civilised service.
If you look at some of the comments at the bottom of that video though you would be suprised. Along the lines of 'It didn't do me any harm,' sorted me out and made a man of me' and 'I didn't want to go back in there again.'

If you look at some of the comments at the bottom of that video though you would be suprised. Along the lines of 'It didn't do me any harm,' sorted me out and made a man of me' and 'I didn't want to go back in there again.'

Seems at odds with the number of reported attempted suicides in the film.

That time has passed, but for God’s sake, only being permitted to use the toilet twice a day? In the late 20th Century? Pointless bullshit bordering on cruelty. For no reason.

Seems at odds with the number of reported attempted suicides in the film.

That time has passed, but for God’s sake, only being permitted to use the toilet twice a day? In the late 20th Century? Pointless bullshit bordering on cruelty. For no reason.
I remember watching that programme the first time it was shown on TV in Easter 1971 when I was on my first leave from JLR RE. I remember that it quite rightly caused a lot of controversy. It belonged more to Nelson's day than a modern all regular volunteer force in the liberal seventies.

I did think about joining as a junior seaman at HMS Ganges in Suffolk in 1970 but I am glad I didn't as I heard some nasty stories about that place. Good thing I decided to join gods own Corp. A Corp for gentlemen and their sons. And that includes both officers and other ranks.

mack_583

Swinger
Very probably. I was on TA 3/89, but did my MTQ2 way back in 1986 at a mass session in Redford (I think it was the second year that they'd run it, it used to be called CMT1 and 2). A mate from the Pipes & Drums ended up in the same (Red!) syndicate at DAB in March? 1989, made interesting when she and I realised that one of our syndicate was the unfortunate who didn't realise his girlfriend was seeing someone in our mob...

If you met me, I was the scrawny / gobby piper from Edinburgh who kept being sent out on the end of planks, poles, and ropes during command tasks, because I was only just over ten stone dripping wet, hence easy to lift / balance...

...and I think we both know an AUOTC type who did a law degree and ran away to R SIGNALS(V).
Can't remember when I did my DAB, but it was indeed a mass session, and yes still in contact with that legal type

Just out of curiosity as well as having to fork out money to pay back, serve a term in the nick, what else does he stand to lose i.e benefits/perks wise?

Stripped of OBE?

They can recover the £48k plus cost from his pension.

He can't use Major (Rtd)
Might be able to stop him getting a veterans railcard & blue light card

Latest Threads