Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Let's hope it stays that way, although I could see a decent lawyer in any country outside the UK, having that claim of jurisdiction dismissed fairly easily as an intrusion into the laws of the host nation.

I can see a diplomatic crisis should the UK ever try it.

Old-Salt
You can probably rest easy chaps. The AFA06 at Schedule 15 sets out who is to be covered by the Act, so you probably are not caught unless you stayed within the house of a UK service person or employed civilian posted to that NATO base.

As I realised when I went to visit a godson overseas and stayed with his parents in their SFA!

That is the part of the act that allows family/children of SP to be roped in for Standing Civilian Courts and CM, as well as the teachers/SSAFA/WRVS/NAAFI etc and their families who are "posted" to the overseas garrison.

Seadog

ADC
I think he'll still get his pension. I've been told you've got to be found guilty of treason not to get it.
Canadian Air Force Officer with a sideline in murders Russell Williams still picks up his pension. I seem to recall all manner of mechanisms were invoked to deprive him of it when he was convicted but the courts said no.

For what is described as a ‘further case management hearing’

Probably an attempt by his barrister to get the case thrown out.
Nick? what have I missed?

You can probably rest easy chaps. The AFA06 at Schedule 15 sets out who is to be covered by the Act, so you probably are not caught unless you stayed within the house of a UK service person or employed civilian posted to that NATO base.

As I realised when I went to visit a godson overseas and stayed with his parents in their SFA!

That is the part of the act that allows family/children of SP to be roped in for Standing Civilian Courts and CM, as well as the teachers/SSAFA/WRVS/NAAFI etc and their families who are "posted" to the overseas garrison.

That sounds very doubtful, the AFA06 has **** all authority in a foreign country other than what is agreed with that nation. Staying in someone house probably doesnt cover it (Most postings to NATO, civvie and military are normally private hirings, the military will rent their house via the MOD, the civvies are on their own).

Way before the AFA06 civvies could face the military discipline system but normally either those directly working for the MOD or were immediate family, cousin bob on a weekend visit such be dealt with by civpol.

Old-Salt
That sounds very doubtful, the AFA06 has **** all authority in a foreign country other than what is agreed with that nation. Staying in someone house probably doesnt cover it (Most postings to NATO, civvie and military are normally private hirings, the military will rent their house via the MOD, the civvies are on their own).

Way before the AFA06 civvies could face the military discipline system but normally either those directly working for the MOD or were immediate family, cousin bob on a weekend visit such be dealt with by civpol.
Schedule 15 says:
Persons residing or staying with person subject to service law in designated area
8A person is within this paragraph (subject to paragraph 11) if—

(a)he resides or is staying with a person subject to service law in a designated area; and

(b)he is in that designated area.

I read that to say that if you are in Dhekelia or Episkopi etc or any designated area you are caught by the Act.

Latest Threads