Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Wasn't one of the purposes of Windsor as a weekly boarding school for (GCSE and) A Levels in BAOR/BFG. ie, if you lived in a small station then you could attend their during the week? A good concept, esp if you were in a unit that was anchored to BFG but didn't have a school. Less good if you were an OC/SO2/SO1 who was doing one tour in BFG prior to moving back to UK?

I’m afraid you show a huge lack of understanding about how boarding schools work. Each term there is a half term and normally at least two compulsory exeats, where all the boarders go home and the day children do not attend. So yes, “mate” you do need grandparents or relatives near enough to cope with these periods. The alternative is that the school will arrange “foster care” over these periods and charge you for the privilege.

The big book of excuses that your fevered mind imagines is simply logical conclusions but in your “officers bad” rant is probably a step to far for you. Plus, and do keep up here, there really are no State Boarding Schools in the Scottish Education; system, really, nada.

Yes middle grade officers can leave and they do which if you read @KnightsofRowallan ’s post is why there is a great shortage of them, your plan would exacerbate this hugely.
You mean you had a problem that was easy to pay away with CEA money. Once again how do people manage who cant afford boarding schools near their relatives? Including soldiers who use Windsor school? You got the option because CEA paid a certain percentage.

So yeah yet again you come up with the same old excuses.

Your kids don't need a Scottish education, they just need continuity, but yet again a good demonstration of CEA being used for what you want not what you need.

Kinightofrowallan didnt leave over CEA he left because he didnt want to put his kids in boarding. This is yet another excuse to keep CEA, "Some people might leave". Despite the fact they would have to earn an extra 100k to maintain a similar house and schooling for their kids. The average of paying CEA equates to 27k per claimant.
You could offer an extra 27k to just about anyone in the Army and it would be a strong inducement to stay in.
Lets take a decent major who either doesnt have kids of boarding age or wants them to live at home, what are you paying him extra to stay in? **** all thats what. Got a below average major who you could do without? Well why not give him a perk worth 27k for no other reason than he has children that he wants in boarding school

What it really needs is the moon howlers and tin foil hat wearing conspiracy loons from the Madeleine McCann threads to offer an opinion. They are capable of determining guilt without bothering with little things such as evidence.
And then get on their reverseocycles when it looks like they might be innocent.

Nick Welch must have retired a couple of years ago so why now? Has he been grassed up by a well-wisher, or caught in a routine audit?
He could turn up to his CM wearing his biker gear or hunting jacket then if he wanted to. I had to laugh at the CM list that Stacker posted for 2019. An ex Cpl of the KRH was sentenced to be reduced to the rank of Trooper. He must have been gutted about that.

Welch is not due to stand trial until next year, it sez 'ere
"The chief operating officer Nicholas Welch has kept the board of governors and the vice chancellor fully informed about the on-going legal action against him, which he is fully contesting. "

Framing a Court Martial as Legal Action is interesting. If it is unsuccessful, can he treat it as vexatious litigation and seek consequent damages?

Wasn't one of the purposes of Windsor as a weekly boarding school for (GCSE and) A Levels in BAOR/BFG. ie, if you lived in a small station then you could attend their during the week? A good concept, esp if you were in a unit that was anchored to BFG but didn't have a school. Less good if you were an OC/SO2/SO1 who was doing one tour in BFG prior to moving back to UK?
WIndsor was weekly and full boarding.
Plenty of ORs moved to the UK and elsewhere while their kids finished their A level.

He could turn up to his CM wearing his biker gear or hunting jacket then if he wanted to. I had to laugh at the CM list that Stacker posted for 2019. An ex Cpl of the KRH was sentenced to be reduced to the rank of Trooper. He must have been gutted about that.
Im not sure if that would have an effect on any of the pension schemes.

Or the necessary courage to trust in their own abilities, sometimes it's just easy to go with the flow.
I was involved in early stages of Mike Nicholson's List group in Scotland (options for change era) and when it came to trying to help the married, kids 16 year stage Majors they were so deluded and full of their own self importance - they were quoting silly expected salaries to make up for the loss of the BSA element. Granted the Majors of the 90s were a wee bit different to their modern counterparts.
I wouldn't bet cash on it, although some on here would have you believe if it wasnt for CSA thousands of officers would be getting highly paid jobs on civvie street instead.

Probably because a lot of them don't have the talent or ability to got a job at anywhere near the same salary in civilian life. The ones with talent who don't want to had for the stars tap out at the earliest pension points which used to be 18 years I believe, as Majors or Lieutenant Colonels.
At least get your facts correct before commenting, it used to be 16 years from the age of 21, so 37 was the magic age.

No! As an ex-soldier you are still subject to military law up to the age of 55 and as an officer up to the age of 60, if you still have a reserve liability, which is practically everyone except med discharges.

This:

Armed Forces ACT 2006, Section 57.

Time limit for charging person formerly subject to service law

(1)This section applies where a person ceases to be subject to service law.

(2)The person may not, after the end of six months beginning with the date he ceased to be subject to service law, be charged with a service offence committed while he was so subject.

(3)Subsection (2) applies even if the person (again) becomes subject to service law within those six months.

(4)Subsection (2) does not apply in relation to an offence committed by a person when he was—
(a)a member of a volunteer reserve force; or
(b)a member of an ex-regular reserve force who was subject to an additional duties commitment.

Could be an interesting argument.
My only question in regards to the Armed Forces Act 2006, Section 57, is does it apply if you left service prior to 2006, and was the same thing covered in the Armed Forces Act 1955?

You mean you had a problem that was easy to pay away with CEA money. Once again how do people manage who cant afford boarding schools near their relatives? Including soldiers who use Windsor school? You got the option because CEA paid a certain percentage.

So yeah yet again you come up with the same old excuses.

Your kids don't need a Scottish education, they just need continuity, but yet again a good demonstration of CEA being used for what you want not what you need.

Kinightofrowallan didnt leave over CEA he left because he didnt want to put his kids in boarding. This is yet another excuse to keep CEA, "Some people might leave". Despite the fact they would have to earn an extra 100k to maintain a similar house and schooling for their kids. The average of paying CEA equates to 27k per claimant.
You could offer an extra 27k to just about anyone in the Army and it would be a strong inducement to stay in.
Lets take a decent major who either doesnt have kids of boarding age or wants them to live at home, what are you paying him extra to stay in? **** all thats what. Got a below average major who you could do without? Well why not give him a perk worth 27k for no other reason than he has children that he wants in boarding school
Oh dear you have caught the chippiness bug badly. If that middle grade officer leaves, he probably will be more than happy for his children to go to a good local school because they will not have to move every 2 years, he will have achieved continuity which is all he is trying to get for his children. His wife will be able to get a decent career and like civi families have two incomes.

Now shouldn’t you get back to the stores, those blankets won’t get counted and stacked on their own?

WIndsor was weekly and full boarding.
Plenty of ORs moved to the UK and elsewhere while their kids finished their A level.
My point was, if you had already spent, and were destined to spend in the future, a majority of time in BFG it made sense to school your kids in BFG as opposed to UK - you probably have a network of friends for exeats and school events requiring guardians to assist and knowing that you would return

Oh dear you have caught the chippiness bug badly. If that middle grade officer leaves, he probably will be more than happy for his children to go to a good local school because they will not have to move every 2 years, he will have achieved continuity which is all he is trying to get for his children. His wife will be able to get a decent career and like civi families have two incomes.

Now shouldn’t you get back to the stores, those blankets won’t get counted and stacked on their own?
I'd made this point already - and that with 2 decent incomes we'd send our kids to the local day school.

Stackers argument is that if some ppl can cope with a lower level of CEA then all should be made to accept a lower amount...taking that argument to its logical conclusion, run an average of DS claims - if some ppl can cope with a scabby cheese sandwich for £2 why are others spending £25 on dinner...why do some need a 4 bed house when 2 will do...in fact why does a OF5 get paid more than a LCpl who's been in for 22 yrs...they Both got the same amount of time served

My point was, if you had already spent, and were destined to spend in the future, a majority of time in BFG it made sense to school your kids in BFG as opposed to UK - you probably have a network of friends for exeats and school events requiring guardians to assist and knowing that you would return
Come on you can do better than that cant you? I just told you some people went back to the UK and left their kids in boarding.
Im sure quite a few officers got back to back tours in Germany as well and its possible that they had friends as well

**** me, that big book of excuses comes out again, it never ends. Good local school you say, because every officer gets the job near a decent school. I used to live near Bicester, both schools were shit, I guess no ex officers live in the area (apart from the ones I met)

Its quite amazing the amount of ex officers who I occasionally see that dont do as well as they think they are going to do on civvie street but the big book of excuses would have us believe they will either earn a fortune or get a house in an area with a decent school.

My take home pay is between 45 and 50k depending on the exchange rate, not bad for a bloke who looks after stores, better than some ex officers in fact, which is astounding as I thought they would all be on a fortune.

You honestly sound like one of the toms when they would threaten to leave to go and work for their uncle for 25 quid an hour. 6 months later they are trying to rejoin.

Come on you can do better than that cant you? I just told you some people went back to the UK and left their kids in boarding.
Im sure quite a few officers got back to back tours in Germany as well and its possible that they had friends as well
Perhaps those kids in critical stages of education were left in BFG? I agree that officers did get back to back tours, but generally speaking much less likely.

Where do you stand on kids attending some of the renowned international day schools, popular oversea and at Nato posts - eg, ISB Brussels is €40k a year - one of my pals kids went there recently (after he extended and multi-toured at SHAPE), she got 4A*s and is at Cambridge now. Surely she should have just gone to Dukies?

Perhaps those kids in critical stages of education were left in BFG? I agree that officers did get back to back tours, but generally speaking much less likely.

Where do you stand on kids attending some of the renowned international day schools, popular oversea and at Nato posts - eg, ISB Brussels is €40k a year - one of my pals kids went there recently (after he extended and multi-toured at SHAPE), she got 4A*s and is at Cambridge now. Surely she should have just gone to Dukies?
I dont have a problem with the international schools, if you take your kid with you then where else are they supposed to go? Funny though how your mate managed to extend when he wanted his kid to stay at a certain school, it seems beyond some people when there is a comprehensive school nearby in Adershot.

Its not about the money (although its important) its the reasons behind it. I personally suspect its because officers want a great education for their kids, which isnt a bad thing but its not the responsibility of the Army to pay for it.

I'd made this point already - and that with 2 decent incomes we'd send our kids to the local day school.

Stackers argument is that if some ppl can cope with a lower level of CEA then all should be made to accept a lower amount...taking that argument to its logical conclusion, run an average of DS claims - if some ppl can cope with a scabby cheese sandwich for £2 why are others spending £25 on dinner...why do some need a 4 bed house when 2 will do...in fact why does a OF5 get paid more than a LCpl who's been in for 22 yrs...they Both got the same amount of time served
Thats not the same argument at all is it? If you want decent food it will cost up to £25.
For you to claim CEA is similar, you are saying that the more expensive schools are better than the state boarding schools, which would mean you are happy the junior ranks kids in state boarding schools get less of an education while.
The payment is supposed to be for continuity it is not supposed to be for the standard of education.

I dont have a problem with the international schools, if you take your kid with you then where else are they supposed to go? Funny though how your mate managed to extend when he wanted his kid to stay at a certain school, it seems beyond some people when there is a comprehensive school nearby in Adershot.

Its not about the money (although its important) its the reasons behind it. I personally suspect its because officers want a great education for their kids, which isnt a bad thing but its not the responsibility of the Army to pay for it.
According to your earlier logic a SBS like Dukies for a fraction of cost?

Latest Threads