Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

We're arguing the same point - there was no guarantee that I went from Northwood to MOD...
Im fairly certain that some officers know that its unlikely they will move, but use the excuse that they might as reason to spank 7 years of CEA per child.
We all know it happens just as a few ORs on CEA in Gutersloh moved around the regiment.
Another loophole that people take advantage off and then wonder why CEA comes under scruntiny.

True. But also many SNCOs never served outside Gutersloh from Pte onwards...they just moved up and down the airfield. A big move was considered to be Bilelefeld or Munster. Same could be said for Abingdon or Aldershot.
My career reflects this. Most ORs will spend the majority of their career at RD.
In 17 years I only spent 25-30% of that time at an RLC Regt; I was a filthy non-grad so that includes 2x Tp Comd roles.
My average tour length was 18ths. The shortest was 6 mths, the longest 2yrs. Always at least a 120 mile move.

Far more typical than you might believe.

I’d be interested to see the breakdown in OR/Offr use of standard and enhanced learning credits.

I’d be interested to see the breakdown in OR/Offr use of standard and enhanced learning credits.
those NEBOSH courses don't pay for themselves you know!

But you raise a good point - the Army offers amazing opportunities for upskilling. I used one ELC for an MSc...I'm planning on using the next for something more practical on retirement....like learning to fly!

I managed to use ELCs once during my resettlement.
I have since tried to use ELCs since but it all got too difficult. Its funny, when you've been out in industry for a bit and then you have to do some Army type admin/applications, you realise just HOW bureaucratic the MoD is.
They will spend £100s trying to save a £1 or prevent a £1 being spent.

Im fairly certain that some officers know that its unlikely they will move, but use the excuse that they might as reason to spank 7 years of CEA per child.
We all know it happens just as a few ORs on CEA in Gutersloh moved around the regiment.
Another loophole that people take advantage off and then wonder why CEA comes under scruntiny.
I agree. Another reason why I've maintained a DE profile with overseas tours

The highlighted bit is supposed to convey an officer saying it, because they have no guarantee of staying in the south of England (even though quite a few do) so they are entitled to CEA.
I cannot fathom the logic of your argument.

Anyone is entitled to claim CEA - Officer or OR.

Guarantees in the Army ? FFS, if it was guarantees that I was looking for, the last place I would have joined was the Army.

CEA obviously came about after I had left. Boarding School Allowance was in, when I was in.

BSA could also be claimed by officers and OR's.

From what I picked up on it from others. It went along the lines of

1. Officers - Boarding School provided a better standard of education for their kids.

2. SNCO / WO - It provided continuity of education in their kids Secondary Education.

3. JNCO's / Pte's - We did not have kids to send them to Boarding School.

With the best will in the world, no matter how generous BSA / CEA is, a Pte -Cpl with 2 or 3 kids is very unlikely to be able to send them to Boarding School.

I suppose that the missus could be liable for a charge of conspiracy to commit fraud.
gosh....there's a thing! I'm sure that would be another first....which I've love to see

Euclid

War Hero
Nick Welch must have retired a couple of years ago so why now? Has he been grassed up by a well-wisher, or caught in a routine audit?

Guarantees in the Army ? FFS, if it was guarantees that I was looking for, the last place I would have joined was the Army.

CEA obviously came about after I had left. Boarding School Allowance was in, when I was in.

1. Officers - Boarding School provided a better standard of education for their kids.

2. SNCO / WO - It provided continuity of education in their kids Secondary Education.

With the best will in the world, no matter how generous BSA / CEA is, a Pte -Cpl with 2 or 3 kids is very unlikely to be able to send them to Boarding School.
I've sparred with Stacker over the last decade or so - he has some good arguments, but loses it when he distils it to ORs v OFs. His general principle is correct that more officers do benefit and more officers do send their kids to 'posher' boarding schools than the state ones. My point remains, its personal choice. If there was a different level of allowance for OFs, like there is for LOA, he would have a valid argument. But there isn't. It's a flat rate.

The highlighted bit is supposed to convey an officer saying it, because they have no guarantee of staying in the south of England (even though quite a few do) so they are entitled to CEA.
Just to boil your fluids this morning, This is in one year group in one private school somewhere in the south of England:

Child one - father 1* family in MQ less than 1 mile from school gate, 3 siblings at school resident in area for 8 years but moved to private house to be within 300m of school. Father eventually moved to Garrison 40 miles away so had Staff Car pick him up every morning.

Child 2 - father JNCO family in MQ in Garrison 8 miles away 4 siblings in school did not move in 8 years.

Child 3 - father 1*, divorced initially serving local then moved to new assignement 30 miles away, 1 sibling at school. Mother (civilian) lived 10 miles from school and children lived with her full time. Children forced to go and stay with father for short periods during school holidays (much against their wishes).

Child 4 - Father SNCO lived opposite school gate 1 sibling also at school, father never left house to live elsewhere so employed locally full schooling period..

At today's rates that's £312,000 pa. yet none of them moved or went on ops (except quick medal qualification visits). From time to time kids would board but in two cases that meant walking past their own houses to get to the boarding house, so guess what?

Just to boil your fluids this morning, This is in one year group in one private school somewhere in the south of England:

Child one - father 1* family in MQ less than 1 mile from school gate, 3 siblings at school resident in area for 8 years but moved to private house to be within 300m of school. Father eventually moved to Garrison 40 miles away so had Staff Car pick him up every morning.

Child 2 - father JNCO family in MQ in Garrison 8 miles away 4 siblings in school did not move in 8 years.

Child 3 - father 1*, divorced initially serving local then moved to new assignement 30 miles away, 1 sibling at school. Mother (civilian) lived 10 miles from school and children lived with her full time. Children forced to go and stay with father for short periods during school holidays (much against their wishes).

Child 4 - Father SNCO lived opposite school gate 1 sibling also at school, father never left house to live elsewhere so employed locally full schooling period..

At today's rates that's £312,000 pa. yet none of them moved or went on ops (except quick medal qualification visits). From time to time kids would board but in two cases that meant walking past their own houses to get to the boarding house, so guess what?
Trying to work out where there's a boarding school close to SFA? Must be deep down in army land somewhere?

Truxx

LE
Oh look the more shit excuses, Most of the RLC move every few years as well as do the SPS.
There is always the one officer who come up with the moved umpteen times in X years excuse as if they all do. I had 10 posting in 24 years, that is far from unique.
We are all well aware of areas where officers just rotate through sometimes without even moving house.
And that last sentence is why the audit of allowances such as separation allowance and boarding school allowance have come under such scrutiny.

My attempt at explaining why (and I am not even sure that you are right) a higher proportion of officers claim CEA) was exactly that, it was not an "excuse" for chippy has been to latch onto. Not that I am suggesting that you are a chippy has been. Definitely not. So there is no need to attemt to defend yourself there.

Also whilst working away I was thinking back to my time and remember that the teeth arms folks were even more liable to be fcucked around location wise . They were of course subject to the "Arms Plot". So not only did they have to bounce between regimental duty and staff appointments, but the likelihood was that whilst at staff the unit would have arms plotted

I think that such allowances are really important because they do two things. First, they take what the navy would call "harbour hassle" out of a service person's life but, more importantly, they are universally applicable, private soldier to field marshal.

I've sparred with Stacker over the last decade or so - he has some good arguments, but loses it when he distils it to ORs v OFs. His general principle is correct that more officers do benefit and more officers do send their kids to 'posher' boarding schools than the state ones. My point remains, its personal choice. If there was a different level of allowance for OFs, like there is for LOA, he would have a valid argument. But there isn't. It's a flat rate.

I've already showed you why the flat rate benefits officers, using my example of a Junior rank with two kids who would struggle to pay 2 X 10% plus additional fees in any other school other than a state boarding school which would cost the MOD about 24k in CEA allowances. Where as you (if you had two kids) can afford 2 X 10% plus additional fees so you can spank the arse out of allowance and use 44k in allowances. The more you earn the more likely you are to use the CEA to its fullest. Who generally earns the most in the Army?

Going back to Windsor school in Germany, there was nothing stopping anyone with a child about to start 6th form from making them attend Windsor, then if the father got posted in the next two years, put the kid into boarding at Windsor and yet I can't recall a single officer (Although they may have been some that I didnt know about) who did that, (plenty of ORs did). That sort of tells me that its got less to do with continuity and more to do with going to the "right kind of school" partly subsidised by the taxpayer.

QRK2

LE
Trying to work out where there's a boarding school close to SFA? Must be deep down in army land somewhere?
or

Nick Welch must have retired a couple of years ago so why now? Has he been grassed up by a well-wisher, or caught in a routine audit?
It could be anything, they might have known (or suspected) about it before he was going out the door, if divorced his wife might have snitched on him. I know audits are done after people leave but Ive not heard of a routine one done on an individual 2 years after they left, when I use to get the list of random individuals to be audited, if they had left the Army the RAO didnt bother with it (Although they werent for tens of thousands of pounds)

And that last sentence is why the audit of allowances such as separation allowance and boarding school allowance have come under such scrutiny.

My attempt at explaining why (and I am not even sure that you are right) a higher proportion of officers claim CEA) was exactly that, it was not an "excuse" for chippy has been to latch onto. Not that I am suggesting that you are a chippy has been. Definitely not. So there is no need to attemt to defend yourself there.

Also whilst working away I was thinking back to my time and remember that the teeth arms folks were even more liable to be fcucked around location wise . They were of course subject to the "Arms Plot". So not only did they have to bounce between regimental duty and staff appointments, but the likelihood was that whilst at staff the unit would have arms plotted

I think that such allowances are really important because they do two things. First, they take what the navy would call "harbour hassle" out of a service person's life but, more importantly, they are universally applicable, private soldier to field marshal.
Im quite happy when officers claim CEA when they are bounced all over the world, the same as ORs, but like I said we all know the truth, there are many that dont and are blatantly kicking the arse out of it.

@Danny_Dravot you have liked this post.
A post that clearly states the officers send their kids to boarding school because its a better standard. Im fairly certain that isnt the point of CEA.