Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Can you not engage on any subject, any at all, without making it an officers v ORs dick-off?
Why should I when as seen on this thread its mainly officers defending it?
True or not? CEA is used by a far higher percentage of officers than ORs? Also true or not, other allowances have been cut without much of a fight?

But Mrs Welch isn't the one faces charges as its the SP who submits the claim, not the spouse
I know, but if it's her that didn't live on the patch then his postings dont really matter much.

Truxx

LE
True or not? CEA is used by a far higher percentage of officers than ORs? Also true or not, other allowances have been cut without much of a fight?
I think too, if you bothered to engage in some lateral thinking, that officers tend to move much more regularly. Whilst an OR generally has a posting length of 3 years, 2 to 2.5 ( or even less if Div1/2 and staff college are involved) is the norm for officers (2 CR in the rank). By the time I got to Major my eldest had attended 8 schools and had she stayed at home at age 11 she would have gone to 3 more before she was 14., and then 3 more before leaving the 6th form, 3 of which would have been overseas.

Also many OR are trades that are tied to particular locations.

I am not saying any of this is right, merely that it is. And from that given certain other effects can be observed.

I think too, if you bothered to engage in some lateral thinking, that officers tend to move much more regularly. Whilst an OR generally has a posting length of 3 years, 2 to 2.5 ( or even less if Div1/2 and staff college are involved) is the norm for officers (2 CR in the rank). By the time I got to Major my eldest had attended 8 schools and had she stayed at home at age 11 she would have gone to 3 more before she was 14., and then 3 more before leaving the 6th form, 3 of which would have been overseas.

Also many OR are trades that are tied to particular locations.

I am not saying any of this is right, merely that it is. And from that given certain other effects can be observed.
Oh look the more shit excuses, Most of the RLC move every few years as well as do the SPS.
There is always the one officer who come up with the moved umpteen times in X years excuse as if they all do. I had 10 posting in 24 years, that is far from unique.
We are all well aware of areas where officers just rotate through sometimes without even moving house.

It is a fact that a higher percentage of officers claim CEA. Reasons, most officers are far more mobile and have more versatile employment options that most ORs, throw in things like staff college (twice), more overseas postings (DA/DE/NATO) and the dislocation of major HQs - MOD, NWD, ABW, APC, DefAc plus the 'career structure' of bouncing between staff and RD.

Age & family demographics are another factor - ave age on commission is 23 with up to a 35 year career as standard. Whilst there are exceptions, late joiners, SSL posts, continuity etc, most ORs have terminated service by early 40s - so unless a family has children very young (average for first time mothers in UK is 29) or is a long-server, they are less likely to have teenage kids who will complete their A Levels before termination. I know of several WOs who took continuity just for CEA, and I don't blame them.

I caveat, there are always exceptions.

Oh look the more shit excuses, Most of the RLC move every few years as well as do the SPS.
There is always the one officer who come up with the moved umpteen times in X years excuse as if they all do. I had 10 posting in 24 years, that is far from unique.
We are all well aware of areas where officers just rotate through sometimes without even moving house.
True. But also many SNCOs never served outside Gutersloh from Pte onwards...they just moved up and down the airfield. A big move was considered to be Bilelefeld or Munster. Same could be said for Abingdon or Aldershot.

Dr Death

War Hero
Someone in the Military fiddling expenses, it's a complete shock to me, never heard of it before from those holding the Queens Commission & a 2* getting done for it, probably the tip of the iceberg.

I blame his units RAO for not telling him if you fiddle, get caught and found guilty at a court martial you get to go to the nice military butlins style camp in Colchester for a long stay with loss of rank and possibly pension.

Lets face it and maybe not so much now, majority of Officers will send their children to a boarding type school. Its because of the reason they are Officers. Rank and file will follow what they did as a kid and say "state edumacation was good enough for me so it's good enough for them". But agree with Truxx that some Officers will move around more so see this as an easier way for the kids.

It is a fact that a higher percentage of officers claim CEA. Reasons, most officers are far more mobile and have more versatile employment options that most ORs, throw in things like staff college (twice), more overseas postings (DA/DE/NATO) and the dislocation of major HQs - MOD, NWD, ABW, APC, DefAc plus the 'career structure' of bouncing between staff and RD.

Age & family demographics are another factor - ave age on commission is 23 with up to a 35 year career as standard. Whilst there are exceptions, late joiners, SSL posts, continuity etc, most ORs have terminated service by early 40s - so unless a family has children very young (average for first time mothers in UK is 29) or is a long-server, they are less likely to have teenage kids who will complete their A Levels before termination. I know of several WOs who took continuity just for CEA, and I don't blame them.

I caveat, there are always exceptions.
I put up the stats earlier, just 13 million is spent overseas the rest was for the UK based.
When Germany was up and running, there were far more ORs abroad than officers.

You forget that I was a pads brats, Im fairly certain there were literally thousands of us that had ORs for fathers.

While generally you would expect more ORs to leave before their kids finish A levels than officers, we all know A levels are generally just two years and yet officers tend to put their kids into boarding school far earlier than that.
When I lived in Ambrosden I think the only officers kids who went to our secondary school were those whose mother had split from the father but retained the quarter and one whose dad was an LE. When I lived in Monchengladbach, the only one I can remember living in the city that went to the same school as me also had an LE for a father. Funnily enough the boarding school that Windsor provided also seemed to be lacking a lot of officers kids.

If I remember the school system correctly, the key stages 3, 4, and 5 are 2 years long. So as long as the postings matched these stages, there shouldnt be a need for CEA, of course there will be exceptions if people have more than one child and second one starts their stage as the first one is half way through theirs but it would cut down the money spent overall. What do you think?

Someone in the Military fiddling expenses, it's a complete shock to me, never heard of it before from those holding the Queens Commission & a 2* getting done for it, probably the tip of the iceberg.

I blame his units RAO for not telling him if you fiddle, get caught and found guilty at a court martial you get to go to the nice military butlins style camp in Colchester for a long stay with loss of rank and possibly pension.
When you apply for CEA you have to sign a statement confirming your address and the reasons why you are living there. It also contains fairly dire statements of what will happen if false information is given, or failure to notify changes (eg separation or divorce)

When you apply for CEA you have to sign a statement confirming your address and the reasons why you are living there. It also contains fairly dire statements of what will happen if false information is given, or failure to notify changes (eg separation or divorce)

True. But also many SNCOs never served outside Gutersloh from Pte onwards...they just moved up and down the airfield. A big move was considered to be Bilelefeld or Munster. Same could be said for Abingdon or Aldershot.
There was never a guarantee that they would just move up and down the airfield though. I did 2LSR once and 6 regt twice with postings out of Germany between all 3.
Which is the same as officers doing a rotation around the south of England, there is no guarantee so where is my CEA?

There was never a guarantee that they would just move up and down the airfield though. I did 2LSR once and 6 regt twice with postings out of Germany between all 3.
Which is the same as officers doing a rotation around the south of England, there is no guarantee so where is my CEA?
I think it is guaranteed that you are required to have kids to be able to claim CEA - or Boarding School Allowance ( for the older, more discerning chaps )

Otherwise, you would be banging the tabs in at CM for fraud.

I think it is guaranteed that you are required to have kids to be able to claim CEA - or Boarding School Allowance ( for the older, more discerning chaps )

Otherwise, you would be banging the tabs in at CM for fraud.

The highlighted bit is supposed to convey an officer saying it, because they have no guarantee of staying in the south of England (even though quite a few do) so they are entitled to CEA.

We're arguing the same point - there was no guarantee that I went from Northwood to MOD...

Latest Threads