Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

The parent 1* HQ idea doesn't work for the majority of officers.

I've had a reasonably standard career and never been near any of those places you mention. I've spent half my time overseas and, as I posted earlier, have not lived near a 'garrison' for the past 10 years. I'm expecting to move overseas again in the next year.

I was chatting to a guy who was a Lt Col in the Spanish Army. He was staggered at the way we do business. However, he'd been in the same department since 2004 as a major and latterly Lt Col....he was 50 something shadow of a man and just going through the motion until he retires in a few years. That is an alternative model.
That's why I introduced the suggestion with it needing a fundamental change in the way officer careers are managed. Although it seems to have been fun your career path sounds a little ridiculous and I would guess an amount of gamesmanship on your part.

true - I've been doing 100 miles a day for the last 10 years, but very much on my terms and over a route that made that doable. I wouldn't fancy the spoke model that can see the commute change every 18 months to two years.
I've done similar commutes since I've left, but then I was getting paid far far more to do it and the business provided a very nice large german car.
Until recently it was 23 miles each way, average is 1 hour each way, but can be 2.
But then I had 40 mile commute that used to take 30 mins. Baker St & Berkley Square used to be 90mins door to door using the ECML. But again.... I was on far more than I was as a Maj.

So if your going to be treated like a civvy, then you might as well be a civvy.

That's why I introduced the suggestion with it needing a fundamental change in the way officer careers are managed. Although it seems to have been fun your career path sounds a little ridiculous and I would guess an amount of gamesmanship on your part.
my performance may have verged on the ridiculous, granted!

Regarding gamesmanship...not really - I didn't join the army to sit on my Arrse in Aldershot or Andover. As my previous, variety, overseas and travel are very much part of the offer. I've done one job in Aldershot (25 yrs ago) never been to Andover (except for day trips). I will keep seeking out the overseas opportunities as long as they're there and another O/S job beckons, despite the offer they remain unpopular.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
I've done similar commutes since I've left, but then I was getting paid far far more to do it and the business provided a very nice large german car.
Until recently it was 23 miles each way, average is 1 hour each way, but can be 2.
But then I had 40 mile commute that used to take 30 mins. Baker St & Berkley Square used to be 90mins door to door using the ECML. But again.... I was on far more than I was as a Maj.

So if your going to be treated like a civvy, then you might as well be a civvy.
Couldn’t agree more. Not having to daily commute is a big win in the retention column.

my performance may have verged on the ridiculous, granted!

Regarding gamesmanship...not really - I didn't join the army to sit on my Arrse in Aldershot or Andover. As my previous, variety, overseas and travel are very much part of the offer. I've done one job in Aldershot (25 yrs ago) never been to Andover (except for day trips). I will keep seeking out the overseas opportunities as long as they're there and another O/S job beckons, despite the offer they remain unpopular.
I hate to say this but that brings up a picture of John G :)

They turned you down as well then !!
I am getting over it slowly
although lately Mandarin would be a far more useful language for chatting them up
Never involved chatting them up in any language otherwise I would have been at risk of getting locked up. More a case of getting over the cost of sending a daughter there which may take some time.

jeepers...I'll now go and throw myself off the BT tower!!

edited to add...I've known KOR for most of that 25 years...and whilst I haven't seen him for over a decade, he can at least vouch for my credentials....and not a single ladyboy was bummed in that time!

Indeed. And any nonsense that the ‘rools is too complicated for a simple soldja’ is bollox, as evidenced by the very few ORs who get done for CEA fraud. The rules are pretty bloody simple.

The frauds are invariably to do with marital status, main residence, or the kids not actually boarding during the week and nipping home because they only live a few miles from the school.

There was a muppet Lt Col timeserver at Shriv a few years ago who got banged up because although he’d been separated from his wife for years was still claiming CEA.
I would just like to point out the laziness and entitled aspect of the army. Mainly the officer class, who still believe that Sgts are there to do stuff because they can‘t be arsed (or are too important).
I know that in the days of JPA (new-fangled, it’ll never catch on) everyone should submit their own claims.
If the defendant has ever had to fill in a form in his life, I would be surprised.

Now, here is a much more interesting Court Martial

Just going back to the Beulah Balbricker

I said this earlier

The Army always views theft/fraud as serious, Batter someone and get a fine/ROPs. Fiddle the price of a bottle of water on JPA and they start issuing black caps for the judges at the court martial.
The Army doesnt seem to care too much about a drunken assault on a subordinate.

Euclid

War Hero
Just going back to the Beulah Balbricker

I said this earlier

The Army doesnt seem to care too much about a drunken assault on a subordinate.
Who hasn’t been the victim of a drunken assault by a superior? Drunken spur of the moment versus premeditated, calculated act.

Truxx

LE
The government only has a duty to fund the same standard of education that anyone else would get at a local state school, giving the stability to service children that might be missing from numerous duty moves. It isn’t an excuse to get an incredibly rare standard of education paid for by others.

Anything over and above this is a massive tax payer funded perk and I struggle to see how it survives.

When the elite further abuse what is an incredible handout, they only jeopardise it for others.
CEA only amounts to enough to fund the same standard of education that anyone else would get.

Which is why it survives.

Anything over the allowance comes from the parents own pockets. In reality what it means is that to get any sort of educational stability in a career where the individual is bounced from place to place (less of an issue now, but still part of the T&C) the parents are obliged to pay large amounts of money.

Hardly an "incredible handout"

Latest Threads