Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Speaking generally - if you regarded these allowances as support to help with continuity of education and you were within a couple of years of end of service and you lived in the South Coast commuter belt (plenty of people do commute from as far as, say, Dorset) then surely you would start building your life and putting down roots at your new home including putting your children into the doubtless decent local state schools (especially as post service you would be paying any school fees anyway). If your employer was prepared to give you some overnight accomodation in London, so much the better.

On the other hand, if you regarded it as a perk of the job, that your employer paid you £ XXX to send your kids to a nice boarding school (and that was something particularly important to you). Then you might perfectly properly live on the job in order to continue to benefit.

On the third hand, you might be tempted to have you cake and eat it.

Having read this article,

It appears this originally wasnt a grassing up about CEA fraud, but it really was about officers (Not wives of) having a little cry over housing.

Col Lamb opened a can of worms there. I bet he never dreamed of all this attention. Especially if it a guilty verdict.

It appears this originally wasnt a grassing up about CEA fraud, but it really was about officers (Not wives of) having a little cry over housing.

Col Lamb opened a can of worms there. I bet he never dreamed of all this attention. Especially if it a guilty verdict.
A fair challenge given shortage of decent housing in area and the circumstances that some families have to live in. I don’t expect the person in question is bothered by the fall out, and would have done exactly the same if it had been ORs rather than officers being disadvantaged.

A fair challenge given shortage of decent housing in area and the circumstances that some families have to live in. I don’t expect the person in question is bothered by the fall out, and would have done exactly the same if it had been ORs rather than officers being disadvantaged.

A fair challenge? I doubt it. More likely that bloke who is never in, has got a nice house and even though everyone else has got what what they are entitled to, I want to schimf.

Yeah, you can move for officers challenging the state of ORs housing.

Are you that cynical about everybody? :)

Just years of experience.
Snitchy Lamb didnt even bother to find out what the circumstances were, the wife could have been laid up in hospital for all he knew, he just decided to bump his gums about someone who he had never met having a house.

Just years of experience.
Snitchy Lamb didnt even bother to find out what the circumstances were, the wife could have been laid up in hospital for all he knew, he just decided to bump his gums about someone who he had never met having a house.
I read it as that, at least initially. However, he made these comments when preparing his statement for the RMP; he doesn't appear to have been the complainant.

I read it as that, at least initially. However, he made these comments when preparing his statement for the RMP; he doesn't appear to have been the complainant.

I think its snowballed, he complained about the house being empty and when it was looked at someone realised Welch was claiming CEA, Ive said before that very few people know if you are claiming CEA unless you tell them (and the higher you go, the less people that know).
I reckon it was someone in the RAO dept, who was looking at the married/kids status to see why someone had a big house.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
I agree. As a captain moving onto the patch in Keorbecke in 1990 with one child and another on the way, we were allocated flat and were told that we would be put on a waiting list for one of the houses with gardens. Our small balcony overlooked a few of those houses, including one occupied by the single RC padre and at least one other where there was no sign of the family. Yes, it did occur to us that some of those occupants would possibly been better off in a flat without the burden of maintaining a garden. .

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Should he be found guilty, Welch’s future cell mates may have a different interpretation of “potting”.
Even further interchangeable then! The marvels of the English language.....

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

This from a tabloid that thought Welch was the ‘most senior officer in MOD HQ’.

No wonder other officers were cross about it.

This from a tabloid that thought Welch was the ‘most senior officer in MOD HQ’.

Im surprised they didnt say he had a tank on his head, its green and its linked to the military.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Im surprised they didnt say he had a tank on his head, its green and its linked to the military.
Agreed - but you seem to be having trouble with the fact that he’s been reported at all now because you think it was about jealousy instead of fraud.

What would you think if the complaint and subsequent investigation had found him to be a serial killer instead of an (alleged) fraudster? I imagine the genesis of the complaint would be quickly forgotten.

Agreed - but you seem to be having trouble with the fact that he’s been reported at all now because you think it was about jealousy instead of fraud.

What would you think if the complaint and subsequent investigation had found him to be a serial killer instead of an (alleged) fraudster? I imagine the genesis of the complaint would be quickly forgotten.

I said it looks like it started as an officer whining about houses, it then turned into a fraud investigation.

If Lamb the grass hadnt said anything about the house, Nicky boy probably wouldnt be praying for a not guilty verdict now.

I said it looks like it started as an officer whining about houses, it then turned into a fraud investigation.

If Lamb the grass hadnt said anything about the house, Nicky boy probably wouldnt be praying for a not guilty verdict now.
Lamb appears to have been interviewed after the Investigation commenced - he wasn't the one who 'grassed' Nick Welch

Last edited:
Lamb appears to have been interviewed after the I vesutgation co.menced - he wasn't the one who 'grassed' Nick Welch

Im meant he grassed on the housing situation.

I did say several times on this thread, to be generally be caught out on CEA fraud you have to be either very stupid or very unlucky. This appears to be the latter

Latest Threads