Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No you don't; I have come across load of situations in both the MoD and the HO where a GPC would have been of enormous benefit, but the individual was expected to purchase it themselves and reclaim through expenses. In those circumstances, I do not see how the MoD could insist that you couldn't obtain loyalty points on your personal credit card.

The only time that I have ever held a GPC was as a Sqn 2IC when I was the Imprest Checking Officer. I did slap £10k on it once, but that was with the full authority of the Bde Comd via the DCOS.
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. But taking a set of 20-30 folks to the US and staying in hotels? I’m sure that did happen, it’s just that I’m amazed a GPC wasn’t issued.

If you use your own card and you’re reimbursed I still can’t see how you should be allowed to profit from being on duty?

Especially on this thread! Someone out there will know the rules I’m sure.

If you are lucky a single letter involving a half our interview and half our to produce will cost about £400 in a scabby rural legal practice. Use QCs from a top city Law firm and you could easily quadruple that so this case probably overran the £48 K shortly after the final after caution interview.
If he gets a guilty verdict, he might end up with jail time (so probably not much in the way of future employment) having to repay the 48k plus an enormous legal bill.
He better pray that he wins.

I am unsure why the MoD obsesses about air miles and bonus points. Does HMRC consider it a benefit in kind? If the army were to require me to spend substantial amounts of my own money on their business I would feel just as entitled to charge them fees for doing so. Can't have it both ways.

It's ridiculous; I have a BA AMEX, which I use purely for personal travel and which is linked to my BA Exec Club membership. On duty flights for the HO, I have been able to accrue a substantial number of Avios. My flights have either been paid for up-front by me (domestic and short-haul) or by our travel contract (long-haul). In both cases, I have accrued Avios and upgraded my Club membership.

I do personally know of a situation where a colleague was accused of using his position to obtain free upgrades on BA and One World partners. The ensuing professional standards investigation went absolutely nowhere when it quickly became apparent that his wife (retired BA Cabin Crew) was using her staff travel privileges for when they travelled together.

I am unsure why the MoD obsesses about air miles and bonus points. Does HMRC consider it a benefit in kind? If the army were to require me to spend substantial amounts of my own money on their business I would feel just as entitled to charge them fees for doing so. Can't have it both ways.
Its possible that people will opt for a more expensive option to accrue points.
They used to get a right shitty on with people using the premium fuel at a motorway station.

Also the MOD usually offer the money up front, but its a ballsache so people rarely bother.

Its possible that people will opt for a more expensive option to accrue points.
They used to get a right shitty on with people using the premium fuel at a motorway station.

Also the MOD usually offer the money up front, but its a ballsache so people rarely bother.

If premium fuel is all that is available, that is what you take.

If premium fuel is all that is available, that is what you take.

I think the rule have changed now and you are supposed to take the cheaper option, but I seem to recall COs drivers in particular kicking the arse out of it (or gaming the system as its loving known when officers do it) especially as motorway fuel is generally much more expensive than that sold at the local supermarket.

War Hero
If he gets a guilty verdict, he might end up with jail time (so probably not much in the way of future employment) having to repay the 48k plus an enormous legal bill.
He better pray that he wins.
You clearly do not understand the logistics of how the lawyers will work ...

He might be found guilty. He might go to jail. It will happen immediately he is sentenced. Therefore the lawyers will have asked for their money up front as it is far too difficult getting it back from a resident in HMP Chelmsford.

One less thing for him to worry about ;)

As for repayment, a large house in the country reportedly worth £800k. No problem.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen. But taking a set of 20-30 folks to the US and staying in hotels? I’m sure that did happen, it’s just that I’m amazed a GPC wasn’t issued.

If you use your own card and you’re reimbursed I still can’t see how you should be allowed to profit from being on duty?

Especially on this thread! Someone out there will know the rules I’m sure.

I had an entire Ship’s Company living in hotels in Dunfermline for 5 months and we were all expected to pay on our cards and be reimbursed on a monthly basis.

The MoD being the MoD, it refused to pay for Saturdays and Sundays in our rooms, so we had to move all our stuff back to Rosyth on a Friday and take it back up to the hotels on a Monday.

As for repayment, a large house in the country reportedly worth £800k. No problem.
I'm sure his kids will sub him, they must have decent jobs, they have had a private education.

Don't forget that Bugsy was roaming all over east Berlin as well.
I must've seen him . . . twice!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I had an entire Ship’s Company living in hotels in Dunfermline for 5 months and we were all expected to pay on our cards and be reimbursed on a monthly basis.

The MoD being the MoD, it refused to pay for Saturdays and Sundays in our rooms, so we had to move all our stuff back to Rosyth on a Friday and take it back up to the hotels on a Monday.
That’s incredible. And not in a good way. I had over 60 folks put up in a hotel in Tampa for much longer plus I rented a house for my 2*. None of it came off my personal card I can assure you, and that’s twenty odd years ago.

Aren’t you a J1 kind of guy? What are the rules?

That really is right up there as a prime example of ridiculous MOD penny pinching and fcuking the rank and file about. I bet it was a real boost to the Ships Company morale!

That’s incredible. And not in a good way. I had over 60 folks put up in a hotel in Tampa for much longer plus I rented a house for my 2*. None of it came off my personal card I can assure you, and that’s twenty odd years ago.

Aren’t you a J1 kind of guy? What are the rules?
GPC was too useful for general use, the fulling functioning layers of audit were just too effective so we massively reduced the amount we hold thus reduced the money saved buy not using the procurement chain.

That really is right up there as a prime example of ridiculous MOD penny pinching and fcuking the rank and file about. I bet it was a real boost to the Ships Company morale!
I would suggest that that several weekends hotel use plus expenses for an entire ship is probably a bit more than pennies.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
GPC was too useful for general use, the fulling functioning layers of audit were just too effective so we massively reduced the amount we hold thus reduced the money saved buy not using the procurement chain.
Tell me, how could I have used ‘the procurement chain’ to rent rooms in a hotel, rent a house and buy plane tickets?

The GPC that was so useful it seems nobody ever got when they needed it?

Tell me, how could I have used ‘the procurement chain’ to rent rooms in a hotel, rent a house and buy plane tickets?

The GPC that was so useful it seems nobody ever got when they needed it?

A few years back the MOD got millions back in cashback for using corporate cards. (the type that offered x% back on what you spent).
Also another reason that people didn't mind using their own cards, although most of that type has stopped or has limits.

I would suggest that that several weekends hotel use plus expenses for an entire ship is probably a bit more than pennies.
I was referring to the weekend fcuk about, but I think you knew that! =)

Latest Threads