Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

There was a bit more to it than a TRF and new belt!!
Correct, rank slides and regimental t shirts (at the soldiers expense) will also be needed.

There is a large loophole the size of the Dartford tunnel for the defence to exploit. Usually for a successful prosecution in fraud cases the firms accounting SOP's have to be clear and precise. They can have all the telephone evidence and witnesses they want but fraud cases mainly fail due to a firms sloppy accounting policies and procedures.
I think the rules are pretty clear that your other half doesn't spend 75% of her time in your private house.
Its not like someone is accusing her of spend 95 days away when the limit is 90 and just a bit of carelessness.

He’s RIFLES - he can do anything!
Ahh! But he’s not. Carter joined the GS in 2000 and t’Rifles didn’t ‘happen’ until 2007. Our Nick still thinks of himself as a Falling Plate, as do several of those climbing up behind him, holding hard to his shirt tails. It’ll be a fair while before the Black Mafia’s clutches on the Army will be finally laid to rest.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Ahh! But he’s not. Carter joined the GS in 2000 and t’Rifles didn’t ‘happen’ until 2007. Our Nick still thinks of himself as a Falling Plate, as do several of those climbing up behind him, holding hard to his shirt tails. It’ll be a fair while before the Black Mafia’s clutches on the Army will be finally laid to rest.
There won’t be an Army by then!

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
Although harder for many of those who knew him to work out how he even got beyond major, let alone major general. A real "Tim nice but DIm" if ever there was one.
3* now with a K to his name. Supremely well-connected or a thoroughly able and highly impressive chap?

(I'm saying nothing)

Just the weekends she said...

Prosecutor Sarah Clarke QC said that of the 15-month period in which Maj Gen Welch claimed his wife was living in Putney, she spent 355 days absent from the home, 278 days including her husband's leave.
The pedant in my says that they're already mixing units, I reckon the actual detail will be what gets him off.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The pedant in my says that they're already mixing units, I reckon the actual detail will be what gets him off.
It’s the detail that will send him down.

I strongly suspect that his peers and elders will be watching events with anxious eyes, and frantically correcting- covering up minor crimes and misdemeanors of their own, petrified that the pearl and twin set brigade that really run the officers mess, crass them up.

Edit to add:- My own contact with the wives of officers, and their obnoxious brats, was limited to the 2 weeks of snow queen, when they descended for the Christmas and new year. The majority treated the permanent staff, with an air of superior disdain, one or two of the lower ranks were on the whole amiable, but some of the senior ranks wives were as dim as their husbands, and one or two used the holiday to get as much cock as they could cram into two short weeks, and not from their husbands.
BFPO 589. 1976-81

Last edited:
I don't think it makes a difference about mixing units, the wife is supposed to be in married quarters wherever they are.
If the prosecutions stats are correct, this isn't an accident of a few days, its fairly certain she wasn't living at the military address.
I reckon his defence will rest on the rules not being clear (if he's got civvies on the jury, they are less likely to know the rules).

I strongly suspect that his peers and elders will be watching events with anxious eyes, and frantically correcting- covering up minor crimes and misdemeanors of their own, petrified that the pearl and twin set brigade that really run the officers mess, crass them up.
Certainly a way of removing the competition.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It’ll be a fair while before the Black Mafia’s clutches on the Army will be finally laid to rest.

Not that long I suspect. Look at the current crop of 2 and 3*s. There's barely a rifleman in there, especially now that the golden boy, Rupert Jones, has been asked to seek alternate employment.

There was a bit more to it than a TRF and new belt!! You do come across as a bit of a dick here.
It would have to involve substantially more than that: but having followed his public pronouncements about transformations (various) since he first became CGS, I'm profoundly unimpressed with the man. I'm presuming his extension in this latest appointment to signify that the incumbent government find him nicely compliant.

I think the rules are pretty clear that your other half doesn't spend 75% of her time in your private house.
Its not like someone is accusing her of spend 95 days away when the limit is 90 and just a bit of carelessness.
This. And when there is a genuine and exceptional reason why your spouse needs to be absent, there is a process through CEAS and JPAC to apply for dispensation. Because the quarter is a bit crap or the spouse has a better job elsewhere are not valid reasons.

War Hero
Surely it won't take long to say the rules are complex so its the armys fault not my client's?
How long to you think it will take?

... remember when considering your response that both prosecution and defence lawyers are being paid a daily rate.

It would be instructive to know how many CEA claims are being 're-evaluated'

How long to you think it will take?

... remember when considering your response that both prosecution and defence lawyers are being paid a daily rate.
He's hasn't got a no win no fee lawyer?

This. And when there is a genuine and exceptional reason why your spouse needs to be absent, there is a process through CEAS and JPAC to apply for dispensation. Because the quarter is a bit crap or the spouse has a better job elsewhere are not valid reasons.
I suspect rules that limit an employee’s spouse’s freedom of movement and employment are highly open to challenge.

I can’t imagine a guilty verdict will be the end of this.

Latest Threads