Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Agreed - but at least he recognised he’d been caught
My slightly different take on it.

If he were serious, he'd have driven faster, or off a cliff.

Or chained himself to a radiator, and slit his wrist, as an old acquaintance of mine did, when accused of paedophilia.

Last edited:
Wasn't it a case, especially in the early seventies that a lot of the battalions of the large regiments still thought of themselves as still being their former regiments. 1 RRF was 1 Royal Northumberland Fusilers until you all became RRF in 1968 and probably still regarded themselves as such. 1 RGJ were still pretty much the OBLI, 2RGJ the KRRC and 3RGJ the 60th Rifles. 2 Queens - 1 Royal Sussex and so on up until 1992 when they lost their third battalions or were amalgamated again?
60th Rifles were the KRRC.
Rifle Brigade was 95th.

60th Rifles were the KRRC.
Rifle Brigade was 95th.
Weren't 1 RGJ the old RB or Black button boys. Who incidentally thought themselves on a higher social plateau to the Brigade of Guards!
Rather think the current CGS's father (another General granted a Major General) was ex Rifle Brigade

Weren't 1 RGJ the old RB or Black button boys. Who incidentally thought themselves on a higher social plateau to the Brigade of Guards!
Nope. It followed the order of precedence, the Ox and Bucks LI (43/52) became 1 RGJ as they were senior to the 60th Rifles (KRRC) (2 RGJ) and the 95th Rifles (RB) (3 RGJ). As told me by my ex-father in law, one-time QM(T) of 2 RGJ who was there at the time!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Fair recompense for being 100 miles behind the lines! I had forgotten FRIS. Was that something to do with food?
Behind the lines or 100 miles in front of them?

1 RGJ were the old 43/52 - Ox and Bucks LI.
. . . . who, in their day, thought of themselves as the Oxfordshire and the Bucks battalions, respectively. A distinction made even more fiercely - if that is possible - by the Territorials who shared the nomenclature (if not necessarily the same capbadge)

Behind the lines or 100 miles in front of them?
It always gave me a bit of an odd feeling, being up in the Reichstag OP at night (on top of the SE tower with overwatch on the Brandenburg Gate area) knowing that I was probably the closest British serviceman to Moscow. With the exception of those BRIXMIS loonies cutting around in the DDR, of course!!

War Hero
Anyway, has the guilty bastard’s defence barrister had a go yet?

For there to be a trial, he must have plead NG. Which means he must have a defence. I’m all ears as to what that might be, ‘cos the prosecution’s offered up some pretty damning evidence.
What was reported at the start of the week was the prosecution opening speech- what they intend to prove by calling witnesses and evidence. The opening speech is not evidence!

Some witness evidence is now being reported as this is week 1. It is listed for a 4 week trial so the defence probably will not start until week 3.

Although harder for many of those who knew him to work out how he even got beyond major, let alone major general. A real "Tim nice but DIm" if ever there was one.

Ah yes, now UK MilRep to NATO; that organisation at the heart of British military commitment.

It always gave me a bit of an odd feeling, being up in the Reichstag OP at night (on top of the SE tower with overwatch on the Brandenburg Gate area) knowing that I was probably the closest British serviceman to Moscow. With the exception of those BRIXMIS loonies cutting around in the DDR, of course!!

Apart from those of the garrison who took a wrong turn and ended up crossing the Eastern city boundary into Brandenburg. Ahem!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

chimera

LE
Ah yes, now UK MilRep to NATO; that organisation at the heart of British military commitment.
I am sure he will run a nice cocktail party.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Spineless paymaster should have bubbled him the very first time he tried it on.
He was leaning on the Pay Sgt not the Paymaster.

As soon as the Paymaster got to hear that was that. I knew him well because I’d taken his daughters out years before in NI.

So, not ‘spineless’ at all.

Nice assumption though.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I am sure he will run a nice cocktail party.
UKMILREP used to get a daily slot on OPCOS. Probably still does.

Although I doubt OPCOS is daily these days.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
My slightly different take on it.

If he were serious, he'd have driven faster, or off a cliff.

Or chained himself to a radiator, and slit his wrist, as an old acquaintance of mine did, when accused of paedohilia.
Whatever. The Fire service said it was a miracle he survived so it wasn’t through a lack of trying.

More’s the pity.

chimera

LE
Last edited:

Latest Threads