Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

chimera

LE
The black belt and GS TRF came in in 2015 as part of Carter’s attempt to make people cap badge agnostic (unless promoting the RIFLES, in which case normal cap badge favouritism applies)

Just a minor tweak for correctness.

The culture in Hong Kong in the mid eighties with the Brigade of Gurkhas was pretty much rooted in the culture of British India in the thirties.
I can well believe it!!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
what do the Civil Service do when they discover financial irregularities ?
Well, in the case of Gordon Foxley (taking backhanders whilst involved in the procuement of munitions) they called in MoD Plod, who raided his gaff and nicked him.

Prosecuted in Crown Court and found guilty, he was jailed.

From memory he was in his 70s (poss even his 80s) when his porridge was done.

He appears to be going for the "The rules are terribly complex and despite the fact I was signing for CEA since 2007 and I was a VSO, I couldn't possibly be expected to know one of the major rules is that spouse do not get to live in a private house".
I've managed to understand them...granted I've not had a meteoric rise to 2*....but I though the rules were perfectly clear. As posted previously, when my Mrs was offered a job that involved her working away Mon-to-Fri we sought advice from CEAS.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, in the case of Gordon Foxley (taking backhanders whilst involved in the procuement of munitions) they called in MoD Plod, who raided his gaff and nicked him.

Prosecuted in Crown Court and found guilty, he was jailed.

From memory he was in his 70s (poss even his 80s) when his porridge was done.
He only did a couple of years in an open prison while he’d been rinsing the system for millions. One of his sons was a Camberley DS - say no more!

Fvck yeah.

Imagine the fun and games when my Bn (2RRF) took a draft of men from 1RRF, prior to the aforementioned Ballykinler tour.

CO 2nd Bn allowed CO 1st Bn (who had been a company commander in the 2nd, a few years earlier) to dictate to him the condition that troops from 1RRF would be employed as formed sub units, and compounded this further by parading the entire draft before departure to 'promise' them that all would one day return to serve with 1RRF.

Enhancing unit cohesion? My arrse.​
Wasn't it a case, especially in the early seventies that a lot of the battalions of the large regiments still thought of themselves as still being their former regiments. 1 RRF was 1 Royal Northumberland Fusilers until you all became RRF in 1968 and probably still regarded themselves as such. 1 RGJ were still pretty much the OBLI, 2RGJ the KRRC and 3RGJ the 60th Rifles. 2 Queens - 1 Royal Sussex and so on up until 1992 when they lost their third battalions or were amalgamated again?

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Union Jack

Old-Salt
I know a RN DA (at OF4) who promoted out of that to OF5 (which included a period in IPP as an AH), and has now been selected as a 1* DA.

He is, perhaps, the trailblazer for that process.

It helps that his family have loved “their“ adventures, and his kids have gone to school in each of the host countries.
That's surely a bit near the knuckle....:D

Jack

The joy of living on the patch, where your business is everyone's business:

Though fair argument that if you are weekly commuting, don't take a 4 bedroom house when others have a greater need.

@Stonker OAFAAF!

Wasn't it a case, especially in the early seventies that a lot of the battalions of the large regiments still thought of themselves as still being their former regiments. 1 RRF was 1 Royal Northumberland Fusilers until you all became RRF in 1968 and probably still regarded themselves as such. 1 RGJ were still pretty much the OBLI, 2RGJ the KRRC and 3RGJ the 60th Rifles. 2 Queens - 1 Royal Sussex and so on up until 1992 when they lost their third battalions or were amalgamated again?
2 QUEEN’S, the Kent battalion, started off life as The 2nd Battalion The Queen’s Regiment (Queen’s Own Buffs). The 3rd Bn were (Royal Sussex) and the 4th were (DCO Middlesex). My Battalion, the 1st, was the (Queen’s Surreys). And, yes, we very much identified ourselves with our Surrey heritage - Company names, Mess chattels, Bn traditions etc. The bracketed titles were chopped when the 4th Bn was disbanded in ‘68.

The joy of living on the patch, where your business is everyone's business:

Though fair argument that if you are weekly commuting, don't take a 4 bedroom house when others have a greater need.

@Stonker OAFAAF!
I doubt anyone had a greater need, it was just a handy excuse for reporting him.

One of his sons was a Camberley DS - say no more!
He's one of a very small group I call my best friends. I gave him refuge in my Camberley MQ when the media shitstorm hit the family.

You might want to look up his personal story to date before you gob off with the ill-informed 'say no more!' sh!t, my friend.

That's a thread in itself, right there, if you'd care to start it.

Just the weekends she said...

Prosecutor Sarah Clarke QC said that of the 15-month period in which Maj Gen Welch claimed his wife was living in Putney, she spent 355 days absent from the home, 278 days including her husband's leave.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
He's one of a very small group I call my best friends. I gave him refuge in my Camberley MQ when the media shitstorm hit the family.

You might want to look up his personal story to date before you gob off with the ill-informed 'say no more!' sh!t, my friend.
Calm down dear.

Gordon Foxley had more than one son for a start. The one I knew was a Camberley DS while I was there. Pretty sure that’s all I’ve said so perhaps it’s a little early to be talking about ‘gobbing off’?

Latest Threads