Interesting court martial on the horizon, General in the dock.

Bit more evidence presented today

Prosecutor Sarah Clarke QC read to the court a series of messages from Mrs Welch to her friends, in which she suggests her husband's rank 'daunted' the anonymous complainer.

In one, she said: 'The saddest thing is that one of my London neighbours reported us.

'I have been away a lot recently so I have not been doing the coffee mornings and showing my face.

'I'm trying to put my feet in their shoes to understand why they have done it.

'Perhaps they are daunted by Nick's rank, all of their husbands are two or three ranks below.'

Another said: 'Nick has just been told about the small print in the latest Army regulations which say I can only be away from the house for 90 days so I have just had to dash back up here.'

She also said: 'I always thought that if Nick was not at home I didn't have to be there. I thought that spending weekends in Dorset was allowed.'

Maj Gen Welch (pictured) denies one count of fraud

+3
Maj Gen Welch (pictured) denies one count of fraud

Ms Clarke said the anonymous complaint had been filed to Army housing workers, questioning why the four-bedroom property was often empty 'at a time of housing austerity'.

When will folks realise that their social media messages can be used as evidence in a court case?

I sat on a jury where such messages had been harvested over a period of time by the police and they were used as part of the evidence to prove the guilty bastard wasn't where he said he was. It wasn't just the date/time of the messages, it was the content of the messages and the physical location where the scrote was when he sent them that was the eye-opener. Big brother stuff and all those that wander around with their noses glued to the screen of their mobile being blissfully unaware that their words are being stored and how accurately their movements can be tracked.

A lesson there for Mrs Major General.

When will folks realise that their social media messages can be used as evidence in a court case?

I sat on a jury where such messages had been harvested over a period of time by the police and they were used as part of the evidence to prove the guilty bastard wasn't where he said he was. It wasn't just the date/time of the messages, it was the content of the messages and the physical location where the scrote was when he sent them that was the eye-opener. Big brother stuff and all those that wander around with their noses glued to the screen of their mobile being blissfully unaware that their words are being stored and how accurately their movements can be tracked.

Why on earth did he not plead 'Guilty' at the first opportunity? His wife has already completely undermined his defence.

On an unrelated public health job I'm working on, colleagues use Adobe analytics to see how long people dwell on portal pages and the like, in order to 'improve the citizen experience'

Hes getting a right panelling

Ms Clarke accused him of trying to 'head-off' an investigation by writing an email suggesting he was not aware he breached rules and later told investigators the Blandford home was mainly visited 'for maintenance'.

She also told the panel that a year into Maj Gen Welch owning the London property, Maj Gen Welch's boarding school child - who was supposed to live at the home while not at school - didn't event know its address.

Where as his solicitor appears to be in the slow lane.

Meanwhile, the officer's defence barrister claimed Maj Gen Welch was the target of a 'invidious prosecution' which has been 'painted as a national scandal'

Any cases of spouses being prosecuted for conspiracy or similar in respect of CEA fraud!
I agree...bang up some of the twin-set and pearls brigade for conspiracy to fraud. "Wives off" are often the biggest school snobs I know. In fact one I know was a fellow-parent with General Nick - an endless individual telling me how wonderful Little Cynthia was doing at their aaaamazing school. the c*nts.

I agree...bang up some of the twin-set and pearls brigade for conspiracy to fraud. "Wives off" are often the biggest school snobs I know. In fact one I know was a fellow-parent with General Nick - an endless individual telling me how wonderful Little Cynthia was doing at their aaaamazing school. the c*nts.

You have really been getting further and further off message over the years.

As ACGS he would attend many, many army staff talks with NATO and other Allied Nations, and would carry out a lot of defence engagement activity. I briefed him just before he headed off on one such trip; seemed a decent chap
So basically the rules required Mrs Nick to hang around in an empty house on the outskirts of London while her husband was away on top level international meetings a lot?

And then Nick has to retrospectively certify where she was sitting in their SFA at the end of the year, or else he has to pay the CEA back?

Zero sympathy for them, but the rules
seem to entrap.

So basically the rules required Mrs Nick to hang around in an empty house on the outskirts of London while her husband was away on top level international meetings a lot?

And then Nick has to retrospectively certify where she was sitting in their SFA at the end of the year, or else he has to pay the CEA back?

seem to entrap.

The rules require your spouse to not live in another house, it not hard, complicated or designed to entrap.

If you want 44k+ a year for your 2 kids education then obey the very simple rules.

If you dont want to, either pay from your own pocket or send the little darlings to the local school near your second home.

You have really been getting further and further off message over the years.
not really...but I really do despise some of the social climbing service wives. Bettina Jordan Barber and her fat Cnut of a husband were the epitome. And if Gen Nick is found guilty, his wife will be added to the list.

I've met more than enough of these utter swabs, who have judged me based on their perception of my social standing as a lowly Corps type....at least the husbands normally get the bigger picture, but the arrogance of some of these blue-tighted, slack-fannied f*ckers drives me to defcon 10

not really...but I really do despise some of the social climbing service wives. Bettina Jordan Barber and her fat Cnut of a husband were the epitome. And if Gen Nick is found guilty, his wife will be added to the list.

I've met more than enough of these utter swabs, who have judged me based on their perception of my social standing as a lowly Corps type....at least the husbands normally get the bigger picture, but the arrogance of some of these blue-tighted, slack-fannied f*ckers drives me to defcon 10

this has to be an army thing - I’ve genuinely never seen it with RN spouses.

seem to entrap.
CEA rules are that SFA is primary family residence and this is where the family makes its home 100%.

Kids come back for holidays, weekends and exeats; mum and kids are there irrespective of how shit it is or where dad is. A decent boarding school kids will be home 20 weeks a year, plus one weekend a month and ad-hoc floating exeats, special occasions, uni visits, etc.

CEA is not to allow you to pick & chose which house you live, even if your quarter is a bit grubby with peeling magnolia paint, blue carpets and pink curtains. Or to allow your spouse to stick with her well paid job and live in your family home, treating SFA as transit accom. Ignorance is no defence. If Gen Nick is guilty then so is Mrs Welch.

this has to be an army thing - I’ve genuinely never seen it with RN spouses.
from what I've seen of RN types, work and family are firewalled. There isn't the organic unit family feel like an army unit, work together, play together etc. Plus most PWOs make up for the cunitishness of all other branches, it would be difficult to tell. Apologies if you're a PWO. You seem alright (for a PWO).

CEA is not to allow you to pick & chose which house you live, even if your quarter is a bit grubby with peeling magnolia paint, blue carpets and pink curtains. Or to allow your spouse to stick with her well paid job and live in your family home, treating SFA as transit accom. Ignorance is no defence. If Gen Nick is guilty then so is Mrs Welch.

In her case it could be, wives dont have to know the CEA rules, the good General should though.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If Gen Nick is guilty then so is Mrs Welch.

In spirit, although presumably not in fact. He claimed the allowance, not her. She might be guilty of accessory or something similar but he's the one who has (probably, pending the CM result) committed fraud.

In her case it could be, wives dont have to know the CEA rules, the good General should though.
you're probably right. Perhaps spouses countersigning Eligibility Certificate may focus the mind. Women do tend to be a little more diligent and sensible, particularly if their own neck is on the block.

If hes guilty and doesnt get pokey, every lawyer for the future defence of the juniors can remind the CM of the fact that anything under 48k doesnt deserve jail time.

I doubt even the old boys network is going to want to give a job to a jailbird who stole from his employer.

Perhaps this recent case tells us what he can expect, and yes, unless the OB network etc. can save him then it seems like some time behind bars beckons if found guilty.

you're probably right. Perhaps spouses countersigning Eligibility Certificate may focus the mind. Women do tend to be a little more diligent and sensible, particularly if their own neck is on the block.

They arent the ones claiming it so really its all on the soldier.

Perhaps this recent case tells us what he can expect, and yes, unless the OB network etc. can save him then it seems like some time behind bars beckons if found guilty.

She was found guilty of 15 charges, Nicky boy is only facing one (Which I was surprised at as according to the papers it was over a 15 month period so he would have had to have blagged CEA at least twice).

There was a Clerk at either 1 or 6 Regt who milked far more than that, plus a few years of CEA fraud. Disappeared to the Caribbean when the SIB arrested her.

Latest Threads